Need help with my next magic army! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Need help with my next magic army!

Here is my dilemma, I currently play OK and am working on my second army. While OK magic is nice, it isn't very offensive.

I am trying to decide on a very magic heavy army and I'm stuck between Mortal Tzeentch and a 2nd Generation Slann led LM army. My goal for my next army is 1500-2000 pts as I am still building up my OK army.

Any help/comments/criticisms about each of these magic heavy armies would be greatly appreciated.

"I am the architect of fate!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

You can't take a Slann until you hit 2k points so with that in mind you may want to go for tzeench. Otherwise it's all about the 2nd Gen Slann baby! Best wizard in the game bar none

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Aslo depends how many models you are willing to buy and make. A 2K Tzeench list can contain as little as 7 models and still have an awesome magic phase, and decent combat potential.
    A slann lead lizardmen army has a few more options when it comes to support, you can tailor the rest of the list to be good in combat or shooting, for slann support or all out offense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

lets assume 2k then instead of 1500. I know Slann are the single most potent spellcasters in WHFB, but im looking for all around number of spells/spell dice to throw at my opponent.

Would it still be better to go the Lizardmen route? the only reason I hesistate is because I really like the look of the Chaos mini's.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

In that case, a Slann would be your best bet. A basic slann is nasty enough for a magic caster, but if you really want to go all out then a 2nd Gen slann gets a load of advantages on top of the basic.
    Taking chaos out of the mix, your only other real options for a magic heavy list lies in one of the Undead books, but their amgic is less offensive and more support and tactical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x5)

I would say go Tzeentch (I'm starting them up soon as well). They will give you the most power dice of any army in the game, and will have a similar number of spells as a Slann led army. Also, your Tzeentch Lord/any other Tzeentch characters still have the statline for a Chaos Lord/Exalalted/Aspiring Champion...they are solid in CC as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Necrarchs can throw a lot of spells around in the magic phase, Slann can get all those extra dice when you make them lower gen, and my Empire force is very magic heavy. The empire get wizards for a lot cheaper than other people, equip them with some bound items and throw in a warrior priest/grand theogonist with even more bound spells and watch the hilarity ensue. That list gets at least 7 spells per turn in 2k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

It really just depends on what you want to be painting.

If you love chariots, go with Tzeentch. If you like frogs go with the Lizardmen.

For the points cost I think OK are the most effective magic users in the game. Next would probably come O&G and Empire.

If you go with Tzeentch make sure you take unmarked sorcerers, bray-shamans as well as a tzeentch marked character. Otherwise you won't have enough points to get your power dice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 2nd Gen. slann gets one free powerdice for each spell he casts. As a 4Lv wizzard he gets 4 spells, spend 15 points more and he gets 5. So a 2nd Gen. slann can give 9 PD. In adition each spell cast by the slaan is cast by an aditional +1.

A slann can choose spells from the 8 diffrent lores. I only cast on lores where I like the default spell. See what I get and trade down if I like the default spell better..

I have no experience with Mortal Tzeentch so I can't compare...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say go for Tzeentch Daemonic Legion. Not only can you get Exalted Daemons (Level 2 Wizard) and Lord of Change (Not quite a Slaan, but close.), but your core troop choice (Horrors) can be upgraded with a Champion for 49pts, which makes said Champion a 1st Level Wizard. That plus Bound Spells on your horrors means you can throw a lot of spells around.

Plus, if your really want, you can take some Mortal Chaos as special choices with Marks of Tzeentch to further add to the hilarity, especially if you like the models. Thats probably what I would advise you to do: go with the army whose models/fluff you like. Really, on the whole, Tzeentch (Mortal of Daemon), Tomb Kings, Lizardmen, Necrarchs, etc... all can deliver a lot of power dice and a lot of spells, so in the end, whatever looks best/plays bests/or sparks your interest best is what you will stick with and continue playing with.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast