Choice through Mobility - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choice through Mobility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm yet another 40k player considering fantasy for a while now but just can't choose an army.
    I play Imperial Guard in 40k, so I was thinking of using one of the high mobility armies in fantasy.

I'm really looking into a two armies at the moment...

Chaos- Slaanesh
    Wood Elves

I'll probably choose wood elves, but I was wondering if slaanesh were a fast, mobile army with all the daemonettes and such. If anyone could clarify this it would make my choice a lot easier.

So really what I'm asking is which are the most mobile armies in fantasy and are wood elves and slaanesh up there with the best?

And does anyone know if a new hordes of chaos army book is due soon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

First off: There will be no hordes of chaos book (to anyones knowlage) the next year or more.

Slaanesh is not very mobile. They are fast in CC (high initiative), but when it comes to mobility, they are not top of the pop.
    Wood Elves are on the other hand VERY mobile, most likely the most mobile force in WFB.
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I thought that was the case.

Another question- what do slaanesh rely on if not mobility, or are they just a very well-rounded force?

And are there any other mobile armies out there besides wood elves?

thanks!
    Last edited by Elric101; August 8th, 2007 at 13:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Slaanesh is like most chaos, altough they may not be directly slow, they are not really fast... They do have fantastic magic, and they ignore many psycology rules.
    Wood elves is the most mobile force. heck they can even move the terrain about .

Empire has the abillity to make almost any kind of force, but they are nowere near WE, other then that there is the possibility to use beast of chaos, but still they are no match for a WE army.
    The good thing about doing a mobile WE army, is that you dont have to give up that many choices, as the point of the force is mobility.
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That really depends on what you count as mobile. Slaanesh is really fast. Their Daemonic Legion list has a Chariot, Pleasureseekers (40mm Cavalry) and Mounted Daemonettes. All of those move 10" without marching which is faster than any horse out there and pretty much most things. However, thats only movement. Slaanesh also has strong magic and are immune to most psychology.

If you want more of an ability to dictate were your troops are at any time, then Wood Elves would be a good choice, but you could also try the Clan Eshin Skaven army list. You have alot of mobility with most of your troops being skirmishers and a lot being scouts. A few units are hidden, and your sorcerers can teleport models right up to other models. You have a lot of assassins that can pop up almost anywhere on the board, and a special rule that makes your army even less vulnerable to shooters. Plus, rat-men ninjas are much cooler than pansy elves anyways (even if Tree-Spirits are cool).

Edit: With Slaanesh, don't forget that one of your good hero choices flies. Also, Slaanesh magic is great for controlling how to opponent moves, which is part of having a mobile force.

Edit2: Even more affirmation from TheDaemonicLegion.
    After playing around with wood elves for a good long time when I finally switched over I wanted an army that played somewhat like them. Somewhat in that they had to be fast, hit at least as hard if not harder and be just as fragile as a consequence. Slaanesh daemons are/were the perfect answer to this. In fact at least three quarters of all slaanesh daemonic players I've talked to are originally elven players or elven players at heart.

Meanwhile let's not kid ourselves, the only reason any of us plays slaanesh is we're speed junkies. Do not be ashamed of this, revel in it. Revel in the fact that if all goes to play games are usually over barring the mop up by turn 3, turn 4 at the latest. I do
    Last edited by Petsuchos; August 9th, 2007 at 05:12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By god, I think I've decided on slaanesh.

But as one final question- what are pleasureseekers?

I can't seem to find them on the online store Australia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pleasure seekers are daemonettes mounted on steeds fo slaanesh, you need to model them yourself. There are only available in daemonic legions lists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pleasureseekers and Chariots of Slaanesh have rules you can find in the specific Daemonic Legion army list. You can find it here, under the Hordes of Chaos Gaming section on the GW website.
    Download Agreement

You can find more information about Daemonic Legion armies here http://www.thedaemoniclegion.com/.

They have galleries, tactica for all four gods, modeling advice and lots of informative threads in their forums (under links.)

Also, a look at Slaanesh magic (again from GW) to let you see what your in for.
    Warhammer - Hordes of Chaos

Also be aware that since models are not sold for Chariots of Slaanesh or Pleasureseekers you will have to do some converting. Fortunately, GW put a conversion article out for everyone on the Chaos DL chariots here Games Workshop - Storm of Chaos
    Also keep in mind that Daemonettes and Steeds of Slaanesh come in metal only and thus are rather expensive, and there isn't any model for the Exalted Demon (though its fairly easy to find one that suits it.) Ebay will be your friend when starting a DL list.

However, keep in mind that there are rumors of plastic daemon sets coming out sometime in the middle of next year along with the new Chaos army book, and potentially an independent Daemonic Legion army book.

Considering that and the expense of all metal models, you might want to hold off building your list until then, or depending on you just start of small and don't build a huge force. It really depends on you: are you OK playing with a smallish army for a year?

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Edit: Also, you might want to back out now if breasts and phallic imagery offend you!
    Last edited by Petsuchos; August 9th, 2007 at 15:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankyou all for the replies.

First of all, I thought that pleasureseekers are sold in metal blister packs and they're just called mounted daemonettes. Is this true or they another unit altogether?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, I thought that pleasureseekers are sold in metal blister packs and they're just called mounted daemonettes. Is this true or they another unit altogether?
    Those are actually mounted daemonettes. Pleasureseekers are on 50mm bases and are daemonettes that ride the critter this guy is on: Link

There are rules for both in the Daemonic Legion PDF I linked for you. Mounted Daemonettes ride steeds of slaanesh (sold in the blister) Daemonettes are on foot, Pleasureseekers are daemonettes mounted on the other steed of Slaanesh (already linked) and a Chariot of Slaanesh is a chariot drawn by the mounted daemonettes steed and manned by daemonettes. If you want to see all these models, just go here. The first featured army is a rather nice Slaanesh one. There are more in the galleries on the side.

Edit: The steed in the blister is called a Mount of Slaanesh and the one the Pleasureseekers ride is a Steed of Slaanesh.
    Last edited by Petsuchos; August 10th, 2007 at 16:05.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast