Need help to decide - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help to decide

Hi, i have been playing Wood Elves for just a few weeks, and i want to try some army that focuses more on CC (not made of paper).
    My mate is playing TK and its a really hard time for my little elves. I know i should pick the army that appeals me most, not the one thats most competitive. But in your oppinion, which armies are better versus TK, and which ones are worse .

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Units that are immune to psych or have good leadership work well against undead. Wood Elves do fine once you learn to use them.

Looking from the other end of the argument, as an undead player, I liked playing armies like Skaven and Empire, Beasts of Chaos too, the most since they were easy to break in combat.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

What kind of list are you running? I play TK as my main army, and i find WE to be my most difficult opponant. Ofcourse it depends how your friend plays and what he uses too.

As you said, you should pick an army that appeals to you, and i agree with this 100%. If WE do that, then maybe stick with them fior a bit. You may struggle vs TK, but if you change armies youll just end up having a hard time vs other opponants.

Though if you just chose WE on a whim, maybe list the other armies you are considering and we can help with their pros and cons.

Or, back to my 1st point, stick at if for a bit, WE have some great ways of dealing with TK. Give me a list of what your TK opponant has, ill bring up some counter tactics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    What kind of list are you running? I play TK as my main army, and i find WE to be my most difficult opponant. Ofcourse it depends how your friend plays and what he uses too.

As you said, you should pick an army that appeals to you, and i agree with this 100%. If WE do that, then maybe stick with them fior a bit. You may struggle vs TK, but if you change armies youll just end up having a hard time vs other opponants.

Though if you just chose WE on a whim, maybe list the other armies you are considering and we can help with their pros and cons.

Or, back to my 1st point, stick at if for a bit, WE have some great ways of dealing with TK. Give me a list of what your TK opponant has, ill bring up some counter tactics.

Well i chose WE cause i wanted ranged. But after playing them i realise Im more of a S+T player. My mate plays with this army:

Screaming skull catapult
    Tomb guardians
    Ushabti
    Tomb Swarms
    Tomb Scorpion
    Skeleton Warriors+shooters

I dont have exact numbers, I will add them asap. He uses the tomb swarms+tomb scorpion to get the Glade guards out of the way, and the tomb guardians keep killing my units easily. They block me so I cant get close to the other units. Ive heard that waywatchers can deal with his Catapult and his Liche Priest, so I guess I have to invest in some of these.

This is my list:

1 Spellsinger @ 140 Pts
    -General
    -Dispel Scroll x2

12 glade guards @ 150 Pts
    -musician

12 glade guards @ 144 Pts

8 dryads @ 96
    8 dryads @ 96

5 glade riders @ 129 Pts
    -Musician

5 Wild Riders @ 130 Pts
    -Musician

6 Wardancers @ 115 Pts
    -Musician
    Last edited by tigertomas; November 10th, 2007 at 05:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the other armies Im chosing between Hordes of Chaos appeals me most. They have very nice looks and when going with the mark of khorne they are getting frenzy which makes them good versus TK. And they have nice S+T which appeals me.

Either HoC or dwarves, but dwarves rely on the cannons pretty much and TK can take them out pretty easily with the swarms and scorpions.

Me and my mate are planning on getting a 2000pts army, and Ive heard that Casket of souls is pretty overpowered, but if Im right everything in Warhammer has a counter.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by tigertomas View Post
    Well i chose WE cause i wanted ranged. But after playing them i realise Im more of a S+T player. My mate plays with this army:

Screaming skull catapult
    Tomb guardians
    Ushabti
    Tomb Swarms
    Skeleton Warriors+shooters

I dont have exact numbers, I will add them asap. He uses the tomb swarms to get the Glade guards out of the way, and the tomb guardians keep killing my units easily. They block me so I cant get close to the other units. Ive heard that waywatchers can deal with his Catapult and his Liche Priest, so I guess I have to invest in some of these.

This is my list:

1 Spellsinger @ 140 Pts
    -General
    -Dispel Scroll x2

12 glade guards @ 150 Pts
    -musician

12 glade guards @ 144 Pts

8 dryads @ 96
    8 dryads @ 96

5 glade riders @ 129 Pts
    -Musician

5 Wild Riders @ 130 Pts
    -Musician

6 Wardancers @ 115 Pts
    -Musician
    There's nothing wrong with that list, but consider dropping the GG to unit size 10 each.

The extra points could go to beefing up the wild riders and wardancers with champions.

A branch nymph who's level 1 with a cluster of radiants costs a similar amount, provides some offensive punch, and a comparable amount of magic defense. It also makes a tougher general to kill, keeping 100 VPs closer to your own pocket.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that list, but consider dropping the GG to unit size 10 each.

The extra points could go to beefing up the wild riders and wardancers with champions.

A branch nymph who's level 1 with a cluster of radiants costs a similar amount, provides some offensive punch, and a comparable amount of magic defense. It also makes a tougher general to kill, keeping 100 VPs closer to your own pocket.
    Thanks for the help.
    But since Im new to warhammer (only played for a few weeks) Im still looking around for other armies, like i said, I think that close combat armies are more of my playstyle.

Do you think that i should go with Hordes of Chaos or is there any other army i should look into?

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Does the TK player use all that + Characters in a game? i havent added things up accurately, but looking at it, he has a few more points than you i think, depending on characters ofcourse.

Anyway, as for what you have, i dont think you should do too badly against TK once you get a bit of practice.

Use your dryads to take advantage of woods / difficult terrain. TK find it hard tio handle units in there, then you can strike from the woods when you want to. Make him play your game.

The Glade Guard can be a real pain. Ive seen a list with just one unit of 10, but they are so m different from the rest of the WE list, they are just so difficult to deal with. Sit them back and shoot (they can take a Scorp out pretty quick) and they can do decent damage.

Wild Riders and Wardancers are pretty good in combat they should be good enough to take down some of the undead units.

Id write more, but im being kicked off my mates laptop. Keep an eye out, ill get back and edit this when i can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

S+T are good in HoC (Chaos), Orcs and Goblins, VCs (Vampire Counts- but expect a boring battle), Lizardmen (very good as they have Cold-blooded and can kick butt chariots), Dwarfs and Ogres.

Post here if any of those show interest in you.

-AFG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    Does the TK player use all that + Characters in a game? i havent added things up accurately, but looking at it, he has a few more points than you i think, depending on characters ofcourse.

Anyway, as for what you have, i dont think you should do too badly against TK once you get a bit of practice.

Use your dryads to take advantage of woods / difficult terrain. TK find it hard tio handle units in there, then you can strike from the woods when you want to. Make him play your game.

The Glade Guard can be a real pain. Ive seen a list with just one unit of 10, but they are so m different from the rest of the WE list, they are just so difficult to deal with. Sit them back and shoot (they can take a Scorp out pretty quick) and they can do decent damage.

Wild Riders and Wardancers are pretty good in combat they should be good enough to take down some of the undead units.

Id write more, but im being kicked off my mates laptop. Keep an eye out, ill get back and edit this when i can.

Yes he does use that in one game + characters. Hes only got 1 tomb swarm, 1 scorpion etc.
    About that "make him play your game", Im curious how Im gonna do that when he got a catapult and 2 units that can Burrow. Maybe i dont need a new army, could use a bit of help with rules+tactics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast