Ogres - Underpowered? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ogres - Underpowered?

I don't know if this has been raised before but I wanted to get peoples opinions; do you think the Ogre Kingdoms Army is underpowered compared to other fantasy armies?

I ask as I am building a 1000pt starter force to see if I like them. At the moment I'm doing it mainly for the cool models, but in reality can they really compete?

Other armies seem a LOT more flexible than them and powerful, or am I wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I agree with you. I have a full Ogre Kingdoms army and will be unloading it on eBay as I paint more of it. I find them tactically limited. There are some successful OK players on here, and I'm not one of them. Still, I am one of many who feel OK have more disadvantages than they do advantages.

Low Ld.
    Low WS.
    Lack of ranks.
    No range.
    Good speed, until you face cavalry.
    Poor armor.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

is a Brother of Arterius Bleyden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

From what I see and read, Ogres CAN win games. You just have to go with a particular set up:

Tyrant + Tenderizer / Skragg
    3 Butchers
    token unit of naked bulls
    lots of Ironguts
    Yhetees
    Gorgers

That seems to be the only way OK players can win. I almost started OK (low model count is nice) coz fluff wise theyre pretty cool and Gut Magic seems to be amazing, I just want to have an army that would be different from everybody else's.
    Best Oxymorons:
    3. Marital Bliss 2. Military Intelligence 1. MICROSOFT WORKS
    Vassal Record 1-2.
    bleyden.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    I agree with you. I have a full Ogre Kingdoms army and will be unloading it on eBay as I paint more of it. I find them tactically limited. There are some successful OK players on here, and I'm not one of them. Still, I am one of many who feel OK have more disadvantages than they do advantages.

Low Ld.
    Low WS.
    Lack of ranks.
    No range.
    Good speed, until you face cavalry.
    Poor armor.
    WS is pretty standard it's the intiative that stinks.

But look at the positives too:
    Multi Wounds: Can take a lickin' and keep on hittin' Best example of this I experienced was against those twirly slayer guys from the SOC book.
    Fear: No your silly skeletons will not make me auto-break. No your silly knights will not be charging this turn.
    Bullcharge: I know that it's easy to avoid by either staying far enough away to flee to safety or getting close enough to avoid but either way it's win win. I don't mind the other guy running and I don't mind getting in HtH.

OK is challenging. There is a learning curve associated with them even for experienced players. I have found that sticking with the Cookie Cutter List for a while will help get the feel for the army and then small deviations from the CCL can happen.

Things to keep in mind with OK. It's the youngest WFB army and choices are limited now but as the army gets more new books and time goes on it will evolve. It's a challenge. Be the guy that takes the "underpowered" army and still wins.

Besides it's the cheapest army to start with because the Battalion box is such a good value.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Generally they are seen as an army which is less powerful than most, and to be honest as more and more 7th ed armies arrive, im hardly surprised. Against list broken almost beyond belief, Ogres, one of the last decemt armies to be made (original, good fluff, nice models, well rounded and balanced) have an uphill struggle.

However i did play vs Scragg the other week, and lost. Magic Heavy Ogres, with lots of units of Bulls with extra HWs. Units of 3 kicking out 12A @ S5, thats pretty nasty. The Gorgers hurt a lot too. Stepping away from the Traditional Tyrant, i think they can potentially have a VERY nice list, esp if youre playing in a Friendly game and you take Rhinox. 2 single Rhinox Champions, 4 Gorgers, Scragg, 2-3 Butchers, and lots of bulls. How does that sound to Ogre Players?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

My original list is a Skrag list. Skrag kicks butt. Now that GW is allowing special characters, it only remains for indy gt's to adopt that, which is why I dropped Skrag. Everyone around here is tourney happy. Still, on occasion I'll break him out.

One problem is that so many special characters from the as yet un-revised army books are still pretty over the top. I don't know any tourney that allows Morghur to be run.

Once all the books are redone (with the exceptions of WEs and OK which I think are okay as far as spec characters go) maybe indies will allow that.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guardian angel View Post
    I don't know if this has been raised before but I wanted to get peoples opinions; do you think the Ogre Kingdoms Army is underpowered compared to other fantasy armies?

I ask as I am building a 1000pt starter force to see if I like them. At the moment I'm doing it mainly for the cool models, but in reality can they really compete?

Bleyden Quote: From what I see and read, Ogres CAN win games. You just have to go with a particular set up:

Tyrant + Tenderizer / Skragg
    3 Butchers
    token unit of naked bulls
    lots of Ironguts
    Yhetees
    Gorgers
    I would have to disagree slightly with you on that point, because I play OK and run a slightly different list.

Yes my tyrant does have the tenderiser, but then I dont max out on butchers, i only take the one, and have created new OK cheese in cardiff. Quiet frankly its nasty.

I will agree that ogres are underpowered, but they aren't the only army, I play WE and would say that are underpowered, but they can still win games. It's the same with ogres.

As for you starting ogres with 1000pts, this will be the place where you have the most fun to begin with. For one you army doesnt have to be that big, and you can hold you own against your oppenants, all to easy.

The real challenge begins when you have move into 2000+ point games. Because your army is still small, but can also be quite flexible with the right combinations.

I tried Skragg and he was fun, but he got a bit boring after a a few games.

Main thing i'm trying to say here is don't get put off by what people ahve to say about ogres, or any army for that matter. (Trust me, I got a lot of stick for choosing Wood Elves as my first army. But now i'm laughin because I have a character with a tommy gun. If you start Wood Elves you will understand;Y)
    Sunday 20th July Wood Elves vs. Brettonians
    Mission: Flank Attack (Brettonians attacking)
    Score: Wood Elves - 4181
    Brettonians - 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guardian angel View Post

There are quite often polls in various army forums asking which army people most like to face, or which is easiest to beat, or which is hardest, etc.

Almost all of the time, Ogre Kingdoms get massive votes for easiest to beat. I think that tells you much of what you need to know.

Ogres are just too expensive and not flexible enough to be the core of an army.

+ Reply to Thread