2000pt Lizardmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saurus oldblood --- mass destruction where i see fit
    light armor, shield
    blade of revered tzunki
    shield of maiming

saurus scar-veteran--- main attack unit

skink preist lvl 1 -- rear
    cube of darkness

skink preist lvl 1 -- rear
    diadem of power

39 skink skirmishers for screening -- in front of saurus units and krox (flankers)

15 saurus warriors<~~~scar-vet goes here --center unit

15 saurus warriors --left center unit

15 saurus warriors --right center unit

3 kroxigors --hold flank

3 kroxigors --attack flank
    with ancient

3 salamander hunting packs -- attacks heavy attackers so saurus just mop up

1995 pts total

Should i worry about magic or will skinks be enough to fend off most magic users?
    If playing me what would strategy be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(this is kinda long...)

Well, let&#39;s see...

This army is pretty much based on the &#39;thunder lizard&#39; tactic in the back of the codex. The strategy for this would be fairly simple, crawl forward crushing everything in your path&#33; Artillery is the death of this and just about any other LM army, so if you plan on facing a lot of dwarfs, orcs, or empire armies with a lot of big shooties, I *highly* recomend terradons to take out pesky war-machines. They are considered by many to be the best in the buisiness in the whole game, so if you are facing a lot of that kind of army, take advantage of them. Trust me, the last thing you want to see is your very expensive saurus block disappear under an &#39;on-target&#39; stone thrower&#33;

I don&#39;t recomend taking the cube of darkness, as it pretty much does the job of a dispell scroll with a couple extra effects, only it costs more. For facing most armies, I would suggest taking two dispell scrolls instead, or one and save points. If, however, you are facing an army that is magic-heavy (*cough* daemonic legion *cough*, man I hate them&#33, the cube of darkness could be invaluable, but its a gamble. On the one hand, you can only dispell one spell instead of two (for taking two d-scrolls instead), but there is a 50% chance of the magic phase ending right then and there, very helpful against daemon armies especially, who can cast a *lot* of spells per phase. The problem with this is that a good player will cast spells in order of increasing damage potential (ie, self-boosting spells, damaging spells, and then extremely-nasty-make-you-wet-your-pants-scarry spells) seeing as how that last category is the one you really want to avoid, if you want to make full use of the cube, then you must use it against his first spell of the turn you feel will be the most potentially dangerous of the game, where the most wizards are in range do do nasty things. This whole stratagy, however, is dependant upon a D6 roll of 4+. That is a 50-50 chance of a life saving move or a 40-point sink that could have been used to buy two dispel scrolls that would guaranteed getting through that turn somewhat safely. With my dice rolling especially, those aren&#39;t the kind of odds that I would put too much faith into.

I also would only recommend the diadem of power if facing a medium-ish magic army. Your priests will be casting second sign every turn (yes, you will), so you won&#39;t, nor should you, have any power dice to save, and so the only dice you are interested in saving are dispell dice. Against a magic-heavy army (again *cough* daemons), you will likely not have any by the time the magic phase is over (or even half over... ). Conversely, if you are facing an army with only small amounts of magic, you will probably not need the saved dice as much as you might need the points elsewere. Although if you know you are going to face an army with next to no magic, I would leave the priests bare, no scrolls, no anything, as he will likely have some nasty units bearing down on you, and the points would be very usefull elsewere.

As far as troops, I find the saurus to be very nasty in combat by themselves, so the scar-vet may be unnessessary. Also I would consider reforming the saurus into two blocks of twenty, this will save a few points, as well as create more resiliant units. Just remember to watch out for cannons and stone throwers, as mentioned above&#33; You don&#39;t mention including a command in the units. Standard bearers are essential for this type of army, and champions are very nice, though not mandatory. Only include a musician if you have extra points, as an extra skink would likely be more useful.

In a 2000 point game, three krox probably won&#39;t hold a flank against a dedicated assault. I might suggest putting both units of kroxigors on one flank, still in seperate units though, and try to use terrain to cover the other flank if you can. Otherwise, use the sallies, best would be behind some swarms, to hold the other flank.

Oldbloods are very scary&#33; :lol: Don&#39;t underestimate sacred spawnings (sotek and quetzl in particular, teopk is also nice&#33. Also, if you take the shield of maiming, I don&#39;t think you have to pay the 3 pts for the normal shield, but I may be wrong about this... :huh:

Anyway, it seems like a pretty strong list, it could just use a little tweaking here and there. For situations where you know what kind of armies you will face ahead of time, (friends, etc) I would recommend writing a slightly different list for each various army, as with such an expensive army points-wise, you can ill-afford to use anything you won&#39;t need or not use anything you will need.

Best of luck with you army, always glad to see other LM players out there&#33;

EDIT:
    I just noticed how old this thread is... You have probably come up with something already, but I still think that this post has some good advise in it, for any other LM players who may be reading... :unsure:
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely...
    but it rocks absolutely, too&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Rhodeta@Jul 26 2004, 19:39
    (this is kinda long...)

Well, let&#39;s see...

This army is pretty much based on the &#39;thunder lizard&#39; tactic in the back of the codex. The strategy for this would be fairly simple, crawl forward crushing everything in your path&#33; Artillery is the death of this and just about any other LM army, so if you plan on facing a lot of dwarfs, orcs, or empire armies with a lot of big shooties, I *highly* recomend terradons to take out pesky war-machines. They are considered by many to be the best in the buisiness in the whole game, so if you are facing a lot of that kind of army, take advantage of them. Trust me, the last thing you want to see is your very expensive saurus block disappear under an &#39;on-target&#39; stone thrower&#33;

I don&#39;t recomend taking the cube of darkness, as it pretty much does the job of a dispell scroll with a couple extra effects, only it costs more. For facing most armies, I would suggest taking two dispell scrolls instead, or one and save points. If, however, you are facing an army that is magic-heavy (*cough* daemonic legion *cough*, man I hate them&#33, the cube of darkness could be invaluable, but its a gamble. On the one hand, you can only dispell one spell instead of two (for taking two d-scrolls instead), but there is a 50% chance of the magic phase ending right then and there, very helpful against daemon armies especially, who can cast a *lot* of spells per phase. The problem with this is that a good player will cast spells in order of increasing damage potential (ie, self-boosting spells, damaging spells, and then extremely-nasty-make-you-wet-your-pants-scarry spells) seeing as how that last category is the one you really want to avoid, if you want to make full use of the cube, then you must use it against his first spell of the turn you feel will be the most potentially dangerous of the game, where the most wizards are in range do do nasty things. This whole stratagy, however, is dependant upon a D6 roll of 4+. That is a 50-50 chance of a life saving move or a 40-point sink that could have been used to buy two dispel scrolls that would guaranteed getting through that turn somewhat safely. With my dice rolling especially, those aren&#39;t the kind of odds that I would put too much faith into.

I also would only recommend the diadem of power if facing a medium-ish magic army. Your priests will be casting second sign every turn (yes, you will), so you won&#39;t, nor should you, have any power dice to save, and so the only dice you are interested in saving are dispell dice. Against a magic-heavy army (again *cough* daemons), you will likely not have any by the time the magic phase is over (or even half over... ). Conversely, if you are facing an army with only small amounts of magic, you will probably not need the saved dice as much as you might need the points elsewere. Although if you know you are going to face an army with next to no magic, I would leave the priests bare, no scrolls, no anything, as he will likely have some nasty units bearing down on you, and the points would be very usefull elsewere.

As far as troops, I find the saurus to be very nasty in combat by themselves, so the scar-vet may be unnessessary. Also I would consider reforming the saurus into two blocks of twenty, this will save a few points, as well as create more resiliant units. Just remember to watch out for cannons and stone throwers, as mentioned above&#33; You don&#39;t mention including a command in the units. Standard bearers are essential for this type of army, and champions are very nice, though not mandatory. Only include a musician if you have extra points, as an extra skink would likely be more useful.

In a 2000 point game, three krox probably won&#39;t hold a flank against a dedicated assault. I might suggest putting both units of kroxigors on one flank, still in seperate units though, and try to use terrain to cover the other flank if you can. Otherwise, use the sallies, best would be behind some swarms, to hold the other flank.

Oldbloods are very scary&#33; :lol: Don&#39;t underestimate sacred spawnings (sotek and quetzl in particular, teopk is also nice&#33. Also, if you take the shield of maiming, I don&#39;t think you have to pay the 3 pts for the normal shield, but I may be wrong about this... :huh:

Anyway, it seems like a pretty strong list, it could just use a little tweaking here and there. For situations where you know what kind of armies you will face ahead of time, (friends, etc) I would recommend writing a slightly different list for each various army, as with such an expensive army points-wise, you can ill-afford to use anything you won&#39;t need or not use anything you will need.

Best of luck with you army, always glad to see other LM players out there&#33;

EDIT:
    I just noticed how old this thread is... You have probably come up with something already, but I still think that this post has some good advise in it, for any other LM players who may be reading... :unsure:
    [snapback]187228[/snapback]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes some good words of wisdom there. I have just purchased some LM models with the aim of playing Fantasy. Iam currently playing 40k with Guard and Daemonhunters. Any advice for a complete newbie, more in the magic phase really. I have lots of skinks (50+) and Saurus a steggie, and a Slann Mage, what else should i be looking for. Mainly my friends play with Dark Elves, Chaos and Dwarves.

Any info will be most welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Zenziller@Jul 29 2004, 10:17
    Yes some good words of wisdom there. I have just purchased some LM models with the aim of playing Fantasy. Iam currently playing 40k with Guard and Daemonhunters. Any advice for a complete newbie, more in the magic phase really. I have lots of skinks (50+) and Saurus a steggie, and a Slann Mage, what else should i be looking for. Mainly my friends play with Dark Elves, Chaos and Dwarves.

Any info will be most welcome
    [snapback]188813[/snapback]

I&#39;m as good as new too, but I do know you definetly would like some temple guard to go with the slann

Terradons and the Stegadon are pretty nasty also :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Threre is another little item that may be quite usefull: The Bane Head. Causing twice as many wounds can easily mean the difference between killing and not killing the enemy general.

Question: Does the Bane Head work for all kind of attacks, e.g. melee, shooting and magic?

Originally posted by Rhodeta@Jul 26 2004, 18:39
    an army that is magic-heavy (*cough* daemonic legion *cough*
    Sorry if my question is somewhat off-topic, but I always thought that Lizardmen are (or can be) the most magic-heavy army in the game. Who can beat a 2nd generation SMP und two lvl2 Skink Shamen (Shamans?&#33 ? I own the HoC and BoC armybooks and I don&#39;t see that either or both of them (even together) can stand up to this.

Texas, Home of Steers and.... oh wait, I'm not a steer....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, a Tzeentch Mortal army has enough magic to shut down anything. (Like mine, that I guess I&#39;ll post in a bit). But other than that, yes, Slaan and Skink Priests make a really nasty magic phase.

The most magic-heavy Daemonic legion, Tzeentch (ie, mine), has only about 11-13 power dice. Slaan Lizzies can pour out even more, especially with the free dice per spell that 2nd Gens get.
    Bow down&#33; Or I will unleash my zoinky army of surly crack babies&#33; End this deception&#33; I know you&#39;re hiding Martians in your head&#33; Gimme them Martians&#33; I am going to put butter on them&#33; Martians&#33; Grrr&#33; Cease your barky noise making&#33; Join my legions of darkness&#33; My frowny face empire&#33; I annoint thee&#33; I do not copulate with Twinkies&#33; Yaargh&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most magic-heavy Daemonic legion, Tzeentch (ie, mine), has only about 11-13 power dice. Slaan Lizzies can pour out even more, especially with the free dice per spell that 2nd Gens get.
    My appologies if my assesment of the DL was incorrect. My only real experience of them was against a tzeench army when I got burned, and burned badly at that. Let&#39;s just say that my saurus never actually reached his line, they preferred to fight amongst themselves instead...

It seems like people talk of nothing but a 2nd gen slann. I generally don&#39;t even use a slann at all, although that is just my tactical preferrence, but a 2nd gen slann is IMO simply rediculous. Yeah, they are indeed quite god-like, but point sink doesn&#39;t even begin to describe them. A fully tooled 2g slann (after all those points you spent alread, how would you not give him a 2+ ward save and extra dice?), with two well-equiped lv2 skink priests, an ample unit of temple guard (as if you would leave him out in the open) and its skink shield, you have half your army in one &#39;chunk&#39; which, by the way, if anything unfortunate should happen to, you are automatically barred from winning and, in all likelyhood, are practically guaranteed to lose embarasingly. A maxed out slann is one of the most tempting units in the game, I know, but it is hard to justify that many points on anything, especially when it is based on magic, which is ultimately (although admitedly much less so than for others) chained to pure luck. While a slann can almost guarantee a successful cast, the spells it can use are still generated randomly, and most effective offensive magic, excluding heavens lore, requires proximity to the target, and while that block is nigh uncrackable, it isn&#39;t going anywhere fast. (I do admit, however, that I have always had a disire to field a 3k army with 2 2nd gen slann...)

I always thought that Lizardmen are (or can be) the most magic-heavy army in the game.
    True, but I was commenting on slider&#39;s list, which, like mine, is saurus-oriented, not slann-oriented.
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely...
    but it rocks absolutely, too&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey, ive playez lizzies for a while now,an 2nd genereatrion slann is nice, but only in 3k pts +.....but if u wanna experience acrazy wizard, try lord kroak in a big game(probly 4k+) maybe 3k, ive actually used him in a 2k pt game, wehihc was pretty funny,along with 20 temple guard dats agbout 1500 pts for 21 models, i had 10 blockl of saurus and and about 10 sknks,2 skink priests, it was hilarous, i powned in magic and really did absolutley nothin but sit dere, wit my kroak, if u wanna have a fun game use him, nbotin like a toad costing 1125 pts(hes first generation)haha, good times.

LK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took a 2nd gen slann vs chaos dwarves. He had no dispell scrolls,3 DD. However he had twice as many units as i did,and while the magic caused alot of damage i lost simply because i was outflanked on both sides and even saurus have their limits to how many enemies they can kill

Moral of the story? Magic cant win battles by itself. Saurus should be in blocks of 18-20,always so they have the full 3 ranks. Skinks are good,give them the scout upgrade definitly. The oldblood needs protective gear. The skink shamans wont do anything useful at lvl1,up them to lvl 2 or go down to a scroll caddy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast