Looking for a new army: Vampire Counts or Warriors of Chaos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Happy strokes, happy s... redarmy27's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    331 (x5)

Looking for a new army: Vampire Counts or Warriors of Chaos

Hey guys, I've decided to go to a different avenue of play style: evil *cackle* I've been looking around the different armies and I really like Vampire Counts and Warriors of Chaos but I'm a stand still between which of the two I should go for.

If I went with Vampire Counts, I think it'd be cool to model them after the Undead army and Arthas from WoW (Yes, sorry a WoW reference, but that was my favorite part of the stupid game)

If I went with Warriors of Chaos, I'd make them look rugged with some empire men in a unit looking like they were just corrupted. Just a thought though, I have many stewing in my head.

If anyone has any advice between the two armies let me know; I need help deciding. In my WH time, I've played Daemons of Chaos and High Elves, it's time for something new!

Thanks a bunch!

Jake

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

this arthas based army sounds unique

you should reaally add a skeleton dragon!!
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    331 (x5)

Thanks! I think it'd look cool too. My only concern are the two different play styles neither of which I'm too familiar with. Any advice on that?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

- with vampires, the general is both a very powerfull character and its sortof the centre peace of the army. Should it die then the army starts to crumble, so you might end up building a whole lot skeleton walls around your big boss

Make him look good, for he might become the centre of attention :p

on the tabletop, all undead are immune to psychology and cause fear, that makes them really easy to play, saves alot of worries because the psychology can barely hurt your plan (not impossible though, some units are frenzy) They have powerfull magic, and have plenty of fast moving stuff

- Chaos have some really scary big boys, but because most units are so expensive you may be outnumbered most battles you play. Also a good point, it means you dont have to paint 200 models everytime you try a new tactic.
    Taking ALL the good units means youl be heavily outnumbered, in which case you have dug your own grave before the battle starts
    If you go with corrupted empirials you might go for marauder units, they are in fact the cheap core choice, so who knows you might deploy 200 men after all.
    Eternal Newbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

331 (x5)

Thanks for the feedback there,

So I went to my local store today and started browsing the miniatures. I have to say, I was a little put off by the attitude of the guy working there. I told him I was drawn between VC or WoC and he told me my ideas were stupid.

VC are too character orientated and are too slow.

WoC are too bland and slow.

I don't know really, but he was pretty negative about stuff so I just left the store. Are the two armies really that bad?

Sheesh

Jake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not a VC player... but i have played against VC and they are not that slow. They can march if within 12 inches of the standard. there very magic heavy and can raise lots of new units or increase there unit size. I play Tomb Kings and playing against VC is very daunting. you kill one unit and next magic phase your opponent raises another! its a never ending army if done right. if i wasn't so loyal to my TK army i would go VC.
    Tutumra, Prince of Zandri. Long live the Dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

331 (x5)

I just hated how that employee made it sound like it was a terrible army to use. I mean how could it be that bad if people like playing that army? I'm not quite sure how I should approach setting it up though. Any thoughts?

Jake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redarmy27 View Post
    I just hated how that employee made it sound like it was a terrible army to use. I mean how could it be that bad if people like playing that army? I'm not quite sure how I should approach setting it up though. Any thoughts?

Jake
    sounds like the employee / sales person needs some customer service training. VC is a popular army, if i was working at a store i wouldn't be negative about the product i sell. One thing you could do is maybe find a VC and WoC player in your area and talk / play VS. there army. OR proxy those armies with your current army and trial run using a borrowed army book. just a couple idea's.
    Tutumra, Prince of Zandri. Long live the Dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically you have to look at both sides of the equation... VC a wicked, they barely run and the magic is awesome. Throw enough dice into the spell and you can just start bringing up extra units of Zombies just to annoy your opponents. downside is they can be very easy to kill when out classed by decent warriors. That ssaid for even a few thousand points a LOT of Zombies and Skeletons could be fielded. The VC characters are wicked and when going for the kill against armies weak against Magic, Mannfred would be the best option as a lord. Lv4 Wizard that will hold his own anywhere is nice. Blood knights are the most ferocious in the game with their frenzy (I've seen them go down tho)

Warriors of Choas... These guys are Awesome. for basic troops the warriors of chaos have to be the meanest. That said they are pretty expensive. Most armies won't be able to field more than one or two units of these elite warriors and have to resort to marauders. The Warmachines are fearsome. The Hellcannon of chaos will keep a lot of people away (will eats its own crew though) Warriors of Chaos can field all cavelry armies and will be very monouvable. The WoC have the best single character in the game (besides the Fabled White Dwarf) and Archaon the Everchosen. but It all comes down to preference really. Both armies are killer and can hold its own.

Me personally I'd say take the VC seeing as you've already done a Choas army before (I might be wrong). the're fun to play, cool minis and aren't going to bolt when smashed by 10 Combat points. But then if want A REALLY good army.... take dwarves.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

320 (x8)

vampires are amongst the best performing armies at the moment, easy to build a powerfull force. Feel free to slap the guy =p.

too slow... pffff
    Now if theres a REALLY slow army... its the dwarfs!

I personally havent been to gw stores much, the times that i have, i encountered guys like this, they give wrong information, dont know the rules as well as they believe and for some reason theyre not in the store to sell the stuff to adults.

ill continue my rant in the moaning section.
    Eternal Newbie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast