40k player looking to get into Fantasy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

40k player looking to get into Fantasy

Well, looking at some of the other post that have a similar title, I find that they may be a bit out-dated. I was wondering if some kind sould could give me a break down as to what are the differences between the two games (40k vs Fantasy) and perhaps steer me into the direction of what army is what.

I like the look of the Empire and Bretonnians, but am not too sure as to how they are all that different.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

important differences:

Fantasy is around blocks of troops instead of loose squads , movement is more restricted for such blocks and works more like 40k vehicle movement (can only look/charge forward) because of that flanking and getting in the enemy rear is more important

40k is usually a bit smaller army and the models are more personalised:
    6 noise marines make up a hell of a lot of points, so do chaos warriors but a unit of chaos warriors will be 10 at least. the main reason is because alot of points go into heavy weaponry and upgrades. that doesnt happen in fantasy

Fewer tanks in fantasy, more monsters

in 40k you have to balance between close combat and long range fighting
    in fantasy you need a balance in magic, close combat and long range.
    Magic can be very powerfull and taken in large amounts in fantasy

Brettonia has the fastest heavy cavalry, they have special rules that makes it cheap to deploy several units of heavy cavalry and there are plenty of options to assist a full cavalry army. Because of this though, alot of players get bored because they are stuck with a cavalry force

Empire is more an all rounder, they can get alot of cheap infantry blocks supported by even more infantry, while cavalry is more a back up than it is the main force,
    they have very powerful artillery: mortars, cannons, gattling cannons, steam tanks

not sure if this is any better than a gw brochure
    heres a list of the available armies:

- Empire
    - Brettonia
    - Orcs & Goblins : big masses of cheap, but mediocre fighters
    - Chaos Warriors: expensive warriors, extremely tough fighters
    - Chaos Deamons: usually a small band of extremely powerfull daemons, scary and powerful on all fronts
    - Chaos Beasts: bands of beastmen and other furry monsters, like minotaurs, little ranged fight, strong leaders
    - Vampire Counts: masses of scary undead, lead by necromancers and vampires, they raise more dead during the fight, the general is the centre of it and when it dies the army tends to crumble slowly.
    - Tomb Kings: Egyptian style undead, focussed more on chariots and cavalry, not at all on raising more undead.
    - Dark Elves: highly mobile elves, alot of sneaky tricks, powerfull assassins and generals.
    - High elves: good with magic, have good fighters and are swift, but like all elves they are not very tough
    - Wood elves, good archers, and lots of living trees, very swift, quite fragile.
    - Dwarfs: slow but very tough blocks of beards, supported by a fair few of artillery choices, like bolt throwers, cannons and flame cannons and gyrocopters
    - Lizardmen: very tough lizardmen, theyre very good with slann magics and have some really scary stuff, big stegadons, salamanders shooting flamebreaths and lots of small poisondart shooting skinks
    - Skaven: the Latest update in fantasy land, big masses of rats, some very devastating weaponry amonst the ranks, while the rest is there just as meatwall swarm
    - Ogre Kingdom: small band of big ogres, each one is a threat but also quite expensive.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

A great summary there Diggers. Personally I would've thought the differences between 40k and fantasy were pretty obvious but...

Bretonnians are "knights of the castle." Units of knights supported by peasants. Great if you love your legends, otherwise they can get pretty boring.

Empire are the most versatile force in the game, they've got knights, as well as infantry blocks, war machines, tanks, monsters...

Hex
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    Personally I would've thought the differences between 40k and fantasy were pretty obvious but...

Hex
    I really have not read any of the rules for Fantasy, but I hear that movement works a bit differently and is much more tactically important.

+ Reply to Thread