Lizardmen Non Magical - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here goes...

Characters

Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
    Spear(Cavalry)
    Light Armour
    Shield of the Mirrored Pool
    Venom of the firefly frog
    Aura of Quetzl
    BS of Sotek, Quetlz, Tepok
    499pts

Skink Priest
    Lvl 1
    Dispel Scroll

Skink Priest
    Lvl 1
    Diedem of power
    100pts

Core

20 Saurus Warriors
    Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer
    270pts

20 Saurus Warriors
    Spears
    Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer
    310pts

10 Skinks Skirmishers
    Javelins + Shields
    60pts

10 Skinks Skirmishers
    Blowpipes
    Scouts
    70pts

Special

3 Kroxigor
    174pts

Rare

3 Salamander Hunting Packs
    195pts

Stegadon
    235pts

Power Dice: 4
    Dispel Dice: 5
    Total 2003pts

The plan for this army is to have the 2 units of saurus in the middle, flanked by the stegadon and the carnosaur. This gives my line 4 solid units that each have the potential to take on other units by them selves. The krox and salamanders are just there for extras and to annoy.

Im not going to be removing the spears.
    One problem i think i might have is spells. Is 5 enough for 2000pts. If not i could remove a skink priest and give both units of saurus the BS of tepok giving me a total of 6.

Suggestions welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Bobby_Wokkerfella's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

So you say you are going to make a non magical army then you put 2 wizards in and worry if 5 spells will be enough <_<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooops. Was meant to say 5 dispel dice instead of 5 spells. I&#39;ll fix it now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont take the carnasaur. Hes simply a bad buy. Some armies will kill him before he does anything useful,other armies will use a throwaway unit to make him frenzied,then lead your 500 pt lord on a endless pursuit of a great eagle or fast cav unit,and some ppl will call you cheesy for having 2 monstes in your army. Ive lost a carnasaur to handgun fire,chaos warriors,great cannons,stone throwers,etc. Your simply better off using your general in a unit. Also,try using the mark of tepok on scar veterns equiped with a GW and Light armour/mark of quetzl. You&#39;ll get more dispell dice and much better punch,as 2 lvl2 mages will generally do nothing worthwhile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I am told, Skinks with blowpipes are bad to use because they will hit on 6&#39;s when moving plus the long range addition to it. I&#39;d change that squad to ones with javelins. That way they will be able to throw without the long range and movement additions and hit on a 4+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cscheer88@Sep 15 2004, 155
    From what I am told, Skinks with blowpipes are bad to use because they will hit on 6&#39;s when moving plus the long range addition to it. I&#39;d change that squad to ones with javelins. That way they will be able to throw without the long range and movement additions and hit on a 4+
    [snapback]213430[/snapback]
    Notice that the blowpipe skinks are in a small scouting unit, which is the one instance where blowpipes are actually usefull. The one reason to use blowpipes is to get rapid firing poison shots, however in most instances you will be hitting on a 7+ so the effects of poison are negated. Scout skinks, however, can often be positioned so that they are hitting with rapid fire on a 6+, so that poison can be used to deadly effect.

With regard to the army list:

The one thing that stands out to me is the carnasaur. More specifically the fact that one model consumes 25% of your points, however the lizardmen being...
    well, the lizardmen, this in itself is somewhat less of a concern than for other armies. I have yet to use one in my army, so I don&#39;t know from experience exactly how well they perform, but if you can get his points&#39; worth, and you already have the model (which is extremely cool looking ), then go for it, but just remember that for the points you could get another saurus block with a decent general, or some more side goodies. However this is all just a matter of style...

I am a little curious about the javelin skinks. They&#39;re not equiped for scouting, but there&#39;s not enough of them to be an effective shield. Either find room for more of them or drop them and get a 4th krox, then you&#39;d be down to 2001 points.

As far as magic is concerned, it really depends on the kinds of armies you&#39;ll be facing. If you are going to fight a light to average magic army, then you should be alright, but if you are going to fight a lot of elves, or tzeench and the like, you may want to find some more magic defense somewhere. Either that or just accept that the magic phase may sting rather than waste points on more equipment that really won&#39;t help you that much if your opponents magic is that scary anyway.
    Seeing as you currently have two units of skinks, giving both the saurus Tepok might just be the way to go, seeing as you&#39;ll have one more dispel dice and second sign probably won&#39;t help you all that much, anyway.

Another slight concern is how you mention how you say that the krox and sallies are "just there for extras...". Both krox and sallies can be very effective, but they need to be used strategically and thoughtfully. Like all the other units in Lizardmen, in fact, they can be scary in their own right, but their lack of numbers means that all of your units must work in concert with each other to be truly fearsome. This is probably just me being overly picky about words (I do that alot... ) but all the same I just had to say it.

All in all, I would say you are on your way to a strong, albeit small, sauru-based army. I congradulate you for not falling to the temptations of going immedeately for the 2nd gen, &#39;uber-slann&#39; army with two whole units in it&#33; :lol: I admit to using a slann as of late, but simply because all of my freinds seem to play either elves or tzeench, so I must show them what true magic might looks like&#33;
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely...
    but it rocks absolutely, too&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your going to use the carnosaur, you might want to have a fast army...
    If your army isn&#39;t fast enough, the carnosaur will be shot to death.

When I play a carnosaur, I don&#39;t use saurus blocks...
    Anything with a movement less then 6 does not belong in an army with a carno in my opinion. At the very extreme only jungle swarms are an option with M5...

You want to get that carno in combat as soon as possible, but that won&#39;t do any good if the rest of the army can&#39;t back him up...

So, in my 2k Carno army, I use the following:

- All the skinks I can squeez in (generally 3-4 units with blowpipes)
    - cavalry
    - stegadon (mostly only in 2500 pts)
    - kroxies (2x 3)
    - terradons
    - salamanders
    - Jsod/Fsod
    - a lvl1 priest with 2 dispells or a diadem

The tactic I always use with this is really simple: advance very fast and make sure the skinks get in charging range of the enemy, closely followed by the fast hitters by let&#39;s say 5 inch. When skinks get charged, you make them flee. Mostly they&#39;ll stop 4-5" behind the hitters. if the bsb and general are placed well, all of the skinks will rally most of the time. The next turn, all the fast, heavy hitters will charge all units that failed their charges against the skinks and boom...

Your opponent finds himself in combat with all the troops he was hoping to keep away from ...

Worked every time I used it.

Closed Thread