Warriors of Chaos or Lizardmen? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warriors of Chaos or Lizardmen?

I definitely need some help choosing my first WHFB army. I decided I wanted an army that is heavy on magic and combat so Warriors of Chaos and Lizardmen both seem to fulfill both those roles.

Chaos magic looks to be awesome as well as the Slann's wide choice of magic. I love the look of both of their armies equally.

So I guess it comes down to which army is better suited for a beginner to WHFB (I played WH40k heavily). I already ordered the Lizardmen army book, but if I choose to play Chaos it doesn't hurt to have another army's book.

Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Sounds like a stand-off to me.

Im not biased at all, but you should definetly go for Chaos!!!
    (Because Chaos is cool and lizards are dumb)

- On the other hand. Im thinking both armies are almost tied when it comes to playable at start. Dont let the armybook go to waste! start out with a versatile lizardmen force with lots o Skinks, Kroxygors, Salamanders, cool characters and a Slan with Templeguard or so
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Do you like blue?
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

As a big fan of Warriors, I'd argue for warriors. We also have a great group of guys on this forum you can learn a lot about in the Warriors section. I tried playing lizardmen a lot, but they were ever so boring. Saurus are deceptively bad. They look good and all, but they die so easily and they're so boring (they lost all customization when they removed their spawnings), weapon skill 3 ruins them. Warriors on the other hand have so many more options, you can field them in so many different ways and they are the best core infantry in the game. Hard to kill, easy to kill other things with and so on.

What lizardmen give you is skirmishers and fliers, both of which are so-so. Skinks are good, but nothing ground breaking and terradon riders have their roll, but again aren't anything special. Then you're monsters are kroxigors, salamanders/razordons and stegadons (they all either focus on shooting or combat and are average at that), whereas WoC have, trolls, dragon ogres, ogres, shaggoths, giants, hell cannons, warshrines (all focus on different things, trolls are defensive/anti cav, dragon ogres are fast hard hitters with lots of wounds, ogres give you a lot of cheap wounds that can hit hard, hell cannon and give you a devastating shooter, shaggoths are fast and hit ever so hard).

And even the slanns magic isn't much better than what WoC can bring. It could be more overwhelming for sure, but not any more effective. And again we have more options when it comes to magic.

All in all, WoC is more flavorful and fun to play, I find myself being bored everytime I bring out my lizzies, because its the same old same old every game. Less options and the options they have do the same things.

WoC is all about options. All cav army? We got it. All infantry army? We got it. All Monster army? We got it. The fun then comes in mix and matching the three.
    Last edited by Pinkus; July 17th, 2010 at 15:11.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I would go with the warriors of chaos, and I am a lizardman player. They are a little bit better in combat. And they have better special characters.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Community Leader Roboute Guilliman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    553 (x8)

you said that you want to know what would be better for a begginner to fantasy? id definately go with warriors of chaos. they have better close combat units than lizardmen and they are easier to play. lizardmen require a more thoughtful approach to maximize your armies effectivness. anyone can play chaos and when you expand your army there are more directions you can take to change the way it plays. more units with more options. but i do love lizardmen models

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Roboute Guilliman View Post
    you said that you want to know what would be better for a begginner to fantasy? id definately go with warriors of chaos. they have better close combat units than lizardmen and they are easier to play. lizardmen require a more thoughtful approach to maximize your armies effectivness. anyone can play chaos and when you expand your army there are more directions you can take to change the way it plays. more units with more options. but i do love lizardmen models
    It's true, anyone can field a bunch of hitty units and march straight forward until close combat ensures. Sounds easy. But it's only when the Chaos General begins to appreciate the subtleties of the list that the WoC really start to shine. Chaos is a good choice, they are user-friendly for the beginner but also offer a surprising amount of complexity for those willing to peel back the layers.

I'd go with Chaos, but I'm a tad bias. For me, when the choice on paper is a coin flip, the decision boils down to the most basic considerations: What do I want to paint? Which models really light your fire? Do you want a ton of conversion potential? Considering which army is best for the beginner is fair, but you won't always be a beginner. Take the army that you'll enjoy looking at and painting for years to come. You like the aesthetics of both equally, but there's gotta be something there that swings favor one way or the other. For me, all it took was the Khorne Lord on a Juggernaut and I was sold.

Good luck with your choice!
    Last edited by Dfred; July 19th, 2010 at 18:19.
    The Blessed of the Four
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

Community Leader Roboute Guilliman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    553 (x8)

Dfred is spot on. you should just take time to consider which army you simply like better. if your having that much trouble buy/borrow the chaos book too and read both of them. There's no harm in having both and reading both might make your decision easier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help guys!

After sitting down and reading both the lizardmen and WoC army books, I've decided to do the latter. I will be doing a mono Tzeentch army after seeing the potential of the power of +1 Ward. Not only that but magic heavy armies have always held a special place in my heart and Tzeentch is just so devious

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Bit of a chaos love in going on here.
    Just want to contset pinkus arguing salamanders are "average at best" at shooting. Salamanders are probably the best shooting unit in the game.

As it is, for a beginner, Chaos probably fit into the themes of the warhammer world and hobby a little easier than lizardmen. They also have plenty more options for customisation. The problem I have with chaos beginners is that they often end up thinking units are "bad" because they dont have the good statlines you get across the board with chaos. So sometimes, their tactics take a little while to develop beyond, "I'll just march my small army at yours and crush it in combat." Then again lizardmen can be a problem for beginners because they take a while to work out how to use effectively. As it is, once you work them out, they become very rewarding.

8 peoples question of whether you like blue is a little funny because for some reason gw thinks all lizardmen should be blue.

Hmm, not really sure how helpful im being, but felt compelled to say something.

Good luck whatever you choose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast