Been Away need update on 8th & BEST ARMY??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been Away need update on 8th & BEST ARMY???

Hi I've been away from warhammer since just before the 8th edition book was out (too much work ==) and i haven't read the 8th ed. book yet. So i was wondering if you wonderful people on librarium could give me a quick summary of the main changes in the 8th edition as well as your thoughts on which is the best army in the 8th.

Thanks for your opinion and help in advance!

(Sorry if a similar post is already out)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

the similar post you mention is located here:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...st-8th-ed.html

im not sure which army is going to best in the coming months.
    I think it will be Warriors of chaos with their diverse options, some are undeniably top of the bill
    marauders with giant axes are the cheap hordes everyone likes. Highly mobile Tzeentch heroes can bring devastating magic (and a bit of fighting). Nurgle knights are still tough as rocks, so are juggernauts. choices for nice stompin' infantry are allso available. Basically, anything that has become good in 8th, they gotst it. All it lacks is cheap archer regiments.

i think dark elves, empire, lizardmen, dwarfs and skaven are all very good.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Ogers, got a massive boost. IMO they are going to be near the top
    5000 Pts of Undeath descend upon you....

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Some main changes...

The magic phase: powerpool is 2D6, dispelpool of opponent is highest of those two D6.

if you have more ranks than the enemy you are steadfast. Steadfast is the stubborn rule

You fight in 2 ranks standard, casualties removed from behind, so the first 2 ranks always fight.
    striking on initiative.
    Charges are M + 2D6. M + 3D6 and highest 2 for cav and others.
    Measuring at all times.

BSB allows rerolls of all leadership checks.

true line of sight

forests don't hamper movement anymore. They are also mysterious ( roll a D6 on a table when you enter one, can have effects like D6 str4 hits, unit causes fear, gets poisoned attacks etc. )

firing in 2 ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by Luyp View Post
    Ogers, got a massive boost. IMO they are going to be near the top
    Not necessarily, but they certainly got away from being one of the worst to being pretty good.

Wood elves get sorta screwed. Bretonnia isn't going to do well either, I am unsure though as they might be better off that others due to their lance formation ( ranks! They can cancel the steadfast of enemy infantry units! )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

As an Ogre player, I can assure you that they aren't near the top, although they are indeed improved. They're absolutely brutal in close combat now, the general magic items in the 8th edition rulebook are very useful for them, and they can have 2 lords in a 2000 point list

On the other hand, they're still vulnerable to enemy shooting, have no really fast units (which can make war machines a problem), have little to no offensive magic, gorgers aren't as powerful as they used to be (although they're still a bargain), and they have no reliable way of dealing with certain enemy 'super units', like steam tanks.

After some playing, I have to say that the most powerful warhammer army is probably Skaven. If nothing else, they're certainly the most scalable of the top tier armies, being just as effective at 1000 points as they are at 3000. Warriors of Chaos come in at a close 2nd, because they're both powerful and cheap, with no real weaknesses besides a lack of shooting. Still, with all this close combat power and access to magic, who really needs it?

Here are the tiers as I see them now:

TOP: Skaven, Warriors of Chaos

UPPER: Dark Elves, Dwarves, High Elves, Lizardmen, Daemons of Chaos

MIDDLE: Orcs & Goblins, Beastmen, Ogre Kingdoms, Tomb Kings

LOW: Vampire Counts, Bretonnians, Wood Elves
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

For some reason the forum isn't allowing me to edit my post. Oh well.

I forgot to mention 'Empire', which is upper tier.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

If you go to advanced mode you can edit your post.

Am not sure I'd be so quick to dismiss Vampires as lowest tier though, other half has been quite excited with the changes in rules, his army is flourishing from them!
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

As far as I know, I am in advanced mode. It gives me the option to edit and save, but pressing 'save' doesn't do anything. The screen keeps loading forever, and never does anything.

As for Vampire Counts, it might come down to strategy. All the players I know, however, are bemoaning the fact that they have to put 25% of the points in their list into zombies/skeletons/ghouls, when they could've started with minimum sized units of them and just cast spells to increase their size, especially since these units are somewhat overcosted for what they do (especially the skeletons).

Also, fear/terror is far less effective, and they can no longer reliably cast with one die during the magic phase. All in all, they now seem underpowered compared to the other armies, but I'm just going by what the VC players have been telling me, as I am not a VC player myself.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

I have seen alot of moaning about vampires aswell. Havent really looked into their rules but fought them the other day (with my gobbers),
    Summary:
    it seemed his spells just kept on coming one after the other and he got his troops back up almost as fast as they went down. But in the end they didnt actually kill much... A Draw, and still no clue if theyre good or rubbish xD

Boy am i helpfull or what! G'night Lo
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    As an Ogre player, I can assure you that they aren't near the top, although they are indeed improved. They're absolutely brutal in close combat now, the general magic items in the 8th edition rulebook are very useful for them, and they can have 2 lords in a 2000 point list

On the other hand, they're still vulnerable to enemy shooting, have no really fast units (which can make war machines a problem), have little to no offensive magic, gorgers aren't as powerful as they used to be (although they're still a bargain), and they have no reliable way of dealing with certain enemy 'super units', like steam tanks.
    I'am also an ogre player myself, ture i am yet to play against a really really shooty army but i have not lost a game with them yet. the game is really decided by close combat now it seems and ogres dood combat really well!

also being an empire player i would hardly consider the steam tank a "super unit" in 8th. sure they can still dish out alot of attacks every OTHER turn, but with more attacks ALWAYS coming back at you and only needing to roll to wound they will die quickly.
    5000 Pts of Undeath descend upon you....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast