Brand new to the game and choosing an army - first impressions of the armies. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brand new to the game and choosing an army - first impressions of the armies.

Hey everyone,

Brand new to WFB and am very excited to start. But there's a problem. I haven't the slightest clue which army to pick!

These threads are a dime a dozen and everyone always has something different to say. So I'll keep it short. I really like finesse-driven gameplay. Flexible armies that have a variety of playstyle.

That being said I dont like the melee monster armies with no ranged or magic, or the gunlines that fold as soon as an enemy balls their fist up. I'm looking for (in order of importance): dynamic gameplay, fluff, enjoyable painting. And since I don't really have any knowledge of the rules yet, or the gameplay sequence/pace, I'm trying to make my choice from other players' experiences and input to which I will research a bit more and make my own decision. In the end I will play something I like to paint and look at, but gameplay is my major attraction to the hobby.

Here is my list and how they strike me (If you could elaborate a little more on my uneducated judgement of the army, that is what I am looking for)

Beastmen - Awesome looking models, lots of plastic (in comparison). Seems to be hand-to-hand oriented. Turn offs would include their fluff. Imo, not alot of depth to it. Painting doesn't seem to be overly tedious and room for some good variation.

Bretonnia - Models do not really appeal to my taste at all. Very generic medieval knight theme (which is the point, I know). Dated armybook. Not a very entertaining paint dynamic.

Daemons - From my knowledge a very expensive army. Great room for variation but not particularly interested in the Ruinous Powers in general fluff wise, really. Still quite a bit of pewter if I remember, too.

Dark Elves - Some really cool models and from what I know of them, quite a few things you can end up doing with them. Fluff doesn't really stand out to me as there seems to be quite a few "heartless, cold, malicious" armies in the game...

Dwarfs - Nope. Nice looking models (some), but nope.

High Elves - My tussle. There are a few models I instantly fell in love with like the Chariots of Chrace and White Lions but I loathe painting white. I rather enjoy the fluff and the persona of the HE and would like to see more of how they actually play but I highly question the paintability (for me).

Lizardmen - Looks like they can adapt to different roles. I hear their magic is awesome. Very cool fluffy theme, a tad much pewter (IIRC) but amazing potential for variation in models, conversions, and variant paint schemes.

Ogre Kingdoms - The gaming group I am joining already has an Ogres player as his main army. Would prefer to stray from this army upcoming update or not.

Orcs and Goblins - Far too horde-y from the things I've seen. Additionally I like the Orc fluff but dated book and questionable painting.

Skaven - I'll be honest, I think the skaven have some of the most original and cool models I've ever seen. Did I mention I wanted to stray from horde armies?

The Empire - From what I see, VERY flexible. One or two models and certain aspects of their fluff are amazing to be but really not enough (of either) to really build an army around and uphold the theme I would want to play.

Tomb Kings - Amazing fluff and models (minus a few that are a tad spotty on the sculpt quality). Between rumours of being dropped and the flip-flop schedule of armybook updates, I don't think this army would be my best choice but feel free to chime in.

Vampire Counts - Probably my favorite fluff. Again some models are amazing, others are comical. I've heard some real dirty unsportsmanlike gaming is associated with VC, and another of the gaming group I play with plays them, but not very often.

Warriors of Chaos - Again not a Chaos fan, really. Some sinister and B.A. lookin models and could do just about anything paint wise but I hear they are quite melee centric with some good magic too.

Wood Elves - 0 interest in the models.

Thanks for taking the time to give me a hand. See you on the battlefield.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I seems reading this you like everything about HE other than painting white... so paint yours differently and give them a bit of fluff about it! For example they could be from a island colony that wear blue instead of white, to represent their connection to the sea.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by reviction View Post
    I dont like the melee monster armies with no ranged or magic, or the gunlines that fold as soon as an enemy balls their fist up. I'm looking for (in order of importance): dynamic gameplay, fluff, enjoyable painting.
    This screams High Elves to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Definitely sounds like High Elves. But who said you'd have to paint them White? I've seen an black based high elf army. Looked more sinister than Dark Elves. Also, my lizards are grey and white. They're "Supposed" to be blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After looking deeper into the High Elves fluff, and seeing a couple of amazing "variant" painting schemes, as well as reading a bit more on the units themselves, I do believe High Elves is what I am looking for

Thanks to the guys who left helpful comments.

Perhaps I will document my progress on my HE...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Documentation on progression is always a good things. It helps motivate me to paint. I should start...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think youll do well with the high elves there really versatile and the painting options are varied im currently doing an army of them with a romanized legionary them lots of red and darkish metal and there coming out very high elf but alot more militarized

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by KingAmroth View Post
    i think youll do well with the high elves there really versatile and the painting options are varied im currently doing an army of them with a romanized legionary them lots of red and darkish metal and there coming out very high elf but alot more militarized
    This post is missing two vital components:

1. Capital letters.
    2. Grammar.

Please take the time to write your posts properly, please.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread