Vampire Counts or Warriors of Chaos for a beginner army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vampire Counts or Warriors of Chaos for a beginner army?

So basically I've decided to start with Warhammer fantasy and like so many others I have a problem with deciding which army to go for. Finally however I've managed to narrow it down to Vampire Counts and Warriors of Chaos and now I'm wondering which one would be best for a beginner. Plz Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Hi Fredrikslicer, welcome to the Librarium!

I would say Warriors of Chaos make an excellent starterarmy for several reasons.
    - the battallion box is a very good deal and you need only few other models to complete a starter army (a general and battlestandard bearer would still be needed). according to a poll on this forum, the WoC battallion comes out on top when it comes to good value for the money
    - The army book is very versatile, ranging from cheap, yet dangerous marauder infantry or warhounds, to heavy elite knights and monsters and superdangerous lords. Whichever way you choose to go, almost all choices in this army are worth the investment.
    - The army is quite easy to use, and can compete in any phase except the archery phase... The one cannon they have (Hellcannon) tends to end up fighting the enemy in close combat. No they don't shine in the Shooting phase.

Vampire counts can be quite devastating and if you like the fluff, it's definetly worth the investment.
    GraveGuard, Blood knights, batswarms, masses of zombies, ghouls and skeletors, what's not to like? If you do not like to paint bones, or rotten flesh, this might not be the best place to start.

I'd say check out the theme and go for whichever one you like more
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all thank you! secondly what would I need to complete a starter army for the vampire counts? thirdly any HQ you could recommend (for either army)?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

if your planning a 1000 point starter army

WoC
    Exalted Hero - as general same as BSB i dont own a WoC army book so couldt say what else you would need to add

Vampire counts
    either get a vampire for general and a wight king BSB add on some more ghouls and some Grave guard yur good to go.
    Last edited by draghkar; January 8th, 2011 at 15:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi I do not know if you decided yet but I want to tell you a few things from my games against both. Yes I do not have much experienced but I know the big advantage and know what is beginner friendly.

WoC is a lot easier since they do not really have the pain of Vampires that you need to remember the regeneration who has it and have i don't know how many mages (vampires) and people will not like you so will not be willing to help as much (joke). So if you do not know magic well do not and I really do mean do not take Vampire counts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

I just wanted to agree with the consensus. Warriors of Chaos are a much better army for beginners than Vampires. Vampires are a fine army, but they're very difficult to learn, especially if you've never played the game before.

As for heroes, I'd definitely take at least one spellcaster, regardless of army. I prefer a sorcerer with a good close combat weapon (like the axe of khorne) rather than an exalted champion. As for Vampires, I'd definitely take a vampire, although wight kings are very nice as well.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread