Return To Herohammer? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the toughest hero topic got me thinking on how characters seem to be becoming progressively stronger. didn't want to steal their topic, so i post this.
    does anyone think GW is forming a loop, going back into herohammer? and i wasn't around for herohammer, where there any signs that herohammer was ending, or starting for that matter, is there any landmarks we should keep our eyes open for? or did herohammer start/end abruptly?

that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could someone explain exactly what HeroHammer is?

Is it just the use of overpowered special characters? or have I missed something?

And if it is the above, I do not agree. Although in the Storm Of Chaos there was alot of characters, they were all needed to cope with the plot. In battle terms however, they are rarely used, at least at my Local shop. There use is always frowned upon, and aside the models being used to represent leaders/ generals, I rarely see their models on the battlefield.

Although, in some aspects I find this a shame. In slightly larger games, minor special characters should be used, as long as they are not overpowered, and have the fluff to be written in the battle, I think this is totally fine. However, larger, beefed up, and some say overpowered characters ( such as Archaon) should be used only in campaigns, when the battle, ( and fluff) allow it.

-Gibb.
    Legendary Dark Eldar Site

"To play the blues, all you need is barbwire strung to a wooden pulp, an aching heart, and a babe who done left you"

Win/Loss- Who Cares?

"The only thing thats good to lose is your virginity"

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naw.
    I just wish Gw wouldn't have done this 'You can use the characters without opponents permission', 'cause some say there's nothing the opponent can do about it. In my gaming group we mostly forbid special characters, so hero hammer is totally out of the way.
    But don't worry. Special chars can't be used in tourneys, and there's no dwarf lords with toughness 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate special characters, they are still way too good. I tried pretending I had only a Lord Kroak (1225 points) and he beat a 1500 point army before he had even been scratched. At least charcters aren't as bad except for chaos and vampire counts
    Funniest warhammer moment: A misdirected SSC's skulls land right on top of... their souped up 300-point tomb king.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by angrydwarf232@Mar 21 2005, 119
    At least charcters aren't as bad except for chaos and vampire counts
    [snapback]357704[/snapback]
    Vampire counts have to have powerful characters because almost all their troops are not exactly spectacular, it's a balance thing.

And, same thing here at my shop, Special Characters are for fun in one off games, not tournaments and the like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a question on herohammer, i always thought the problem with herohammer was heros in general where to overpowered, but i keep seeing references to only special characters. in herohammer, was the problem any and all heros or was it only the special characters?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember any rules for the old special characters (they were not 'can use without permission&#39, but the heroes were not bad at all. There where T6 vampires with S6 (or was it 7?), guys riding emperor dragons, who had WS8, S8, T8, W8, A8.. Oh, and their armor save was invulnerable, except against things that said they ignored armor saves.
    So yeah, it was mostly about the normal heroes I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holy crap that's a lot of power in one model. even if GW is looping back to herohammer it'll take more then a decade to hit those kinda stats.
    oi, well thanks for that post, put a lot in perspective.

Senior Member Ultramarines r cool's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think GW goes over the top sometimes with special characters, like comon whos ever going to use kroak in a real game? He cost a crazy amount of pts. There are tons of overpowered "superheros" but I think GW should limit thier power so people could use them. the only thing special characters have going for them is thier models and how good they look

Supporter in the Eternal War Against.......Nothing!

Ratlings>C'Tan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think herohammer will ever return with the current rules and the balance of magic items. Why? Well,simple. GW has yet to make a lord with more that A5,meaning at most most lords(who are equipped with magic weapons or GW's,thus no +1 attack) will kill at most 5 models. Since the most they can hit on is 3's,this means with average to hit rolls their killing about 3 models. And there is practically no magic item in the game that can make that better. This means your 300 point lord is never going to win combat by himself without god like rolling.

Hero hammer is a distant memory to most. But if you look back to the days when a suicidal beastman hero with heart of woe could blow up an entire enemy regiment,or a vampire could make all the skeletons within 12" WS10,and a dead general meant a panic check for every unit in your army,it should be obvious we are a far cry from that. I have yet to see a game of 6th ed. get won by its characters unless they used magic. And in that respect i DO think we have to be worried,because unlike spending points on fighty heros,if 1/3 of your army is magic users, you can dominate the board to a degree that nearly every player takes 2 scrolls and a caddy at the very least,and this isnt to stop magic heavy armies but purely give yourself a slim chance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast