High Elves Or Empire - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey. So i want to collect a fantasy army and i've narrowed it down to two choices, High Elves or Empire. Could i please have peoples opinions of what army i should field. Right now i'm leaning towards Empire because they have warmachines and hand gunners but High Elves look too cool to pass up, plus i like the idea of a small, quick force.
    Suggestions and ideas please.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go for Empire. Both are good armies, but Empire has slightly more internet support (there's a GREAT forum for them, pm me if you want the address). High Elves used to have a forum, but it's not quite the same quality as the Empire one. Empire have more variety then High Elves. Empire also is going to be the focal point for the Campaign of next year, which will be VERY cool. Plus, with empire you get cool things like Cannons and Helblasters. What's not to like about them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, Ill give you reasons for choosing the High Elves:

- Repeater Bolt Thrower: warmachine which does not misfire and deals death in huge numbers

- Silver Helms: Cavalry that are so versatile that it hurts

- Spearmen: who fight in an extra rank!

- Archers: Who are among the very most skilled archers in the world.

- Lords and Mages: who have some of the best equipment and spells in the game.

- The veratility: A High Elf army is a very tricky army. They seem weak, but when you know what you are doing, they become extremely strong.

- The speed: The High Elves are faster than most other races.

I would REALLY reccomend you to get High Elves if all you want is a small strike force army, and also if you want a larger scale wararmy.

I have been playing them for 4 years, and I have gathered about 5000 pts of them, but I still love playing small concentrated 1000pts games with them =) .

It is the sheer range of options that makes the High Elf army so incredible.

I hope I have helped you somehow. Thanks for hearing me out =) .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And let me try to counter that:

- Repeater Bolt Thrower: warmachine which does not misfire and deals death in huge numbers
    Death in huge numbers? Imagine a Helblaster actually getting 30 hits in one shot. There are armies that are terrified to see it on the table. Sure, a Repeater Bolt Thrower doesn't misfire, but it doesn't have the same destructive potential that a Cannon or the Helblaster has. Not by far.

- Silver Helms: Cavalry that are so versatile that it hurts
    Empire have better cavalry- Taking Inner Circle Knights give you Strength 4 knights (Str 6 on the charge). They have slightly better armor saves but are slightly slower. Taking the most commonly used Lord, the Templar Grand Master (I'd recommend using him too) makes the unit of Knights he's in Immune to Psychology. PLUS, the Empire cavalry can take a Magic Banner up to 50 pts without buying a Standard Bearer for it. And versatile? Between the Knightly Orders, Pistoliers, and a Captain on a Pegasus (a pretty common hero, oddly), you can fill all the necessary and auxilliary Cavalry roles.

- Spearmen: who fight in an extra rank!
    And are 4 points more then Empire spearmen who can take handgunner detachments with the extra points and tear apart enemy Spearmen without any problems. Plus, detachments let you negate rank bonuses of opponents, and get extra Combat Resolution. High elves get extra attacks, but at Str 3, their combat resolution tends not to be terribly favorable. Empire are at Str 3, but can make up CR easily with detachments.

Archers: Who are among the very most skilled archers in the world.
    They used to be better in 5th edition, if I remember correctly. But as for Empire, you get handgunners with stronger weapons that punch through armor, for 4 points less.

- Lords and Mages: who have some of the best equipment and spells in the game.
    Can't argue with that, but how do they take out a Bloodthirster, or something extremely powerful in close combat? They either shoot at it or hope they cast enough magic to kill it. What does the Empire do? Take Van Horstmann's Speculum (a 25 point item) and watch as you switch the important stats with your opponent. Nasty. As for mages, Empire actually have the ability to challenge High Elves in the magic phase, but it's a little tougher. Against most other armies though, Empire can usually dominate if they choose to.

- The veratility: A High Elf army is a very tricky army. They seem weak, but when you know what you are doing, they become extremely strong.
    Empire are slightly more a beginner's army, but the more experience you have, the better they get. They can tackle any army in the game with some degree of success- the more experience, the better then success.

- The speed: The High Elves are faster than most other races.
    Can't argue with that- Dark Elves and High Elves are unparalled in speed. Empire have a lot of things that take away march moves with simplicity though, so Empire speed is generally enhanced by making your opponents slower, not being fast yourself.

For a small strike army, High Elves may be better, true, but at about 1000 points, Empire are a better choice. Empire are definitely more of army along the lines of an army, not along the lines of a hit and run force.

I've seen games with over 20,000 points of Empire against a variety of opponents, and the Empire did great, because they are so versatile- but you can easily specialize them to suit your needs.

Is that all they have going for them? No! They also have the Cult of Ulric list, which is something most opponents aren't prepared for, plus allows you to nulify any army's magic (we're talking potential for MASSIVE dispel dice amounts). They are a fluffy army- moreso then any other in the game, I'd say. Plus they're really fun to use

Well, hope that helps too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for such detailed responses. I have decided to go with High Elves because i like the small quick type of army. I also collect 40K (first Tau and now Imperial Guard) and both seem to just shoot and mob up on people. From my view you portray the empire as doing just that with their warmachines, ranged weapons and close combat units, i'm sick of that and are looking for a small elite army that requires a large amount of tactical thinking.

Thanks once again.

Asmodeus-Don't worry, your posts have not been in vain, i have a friend who is strongly considering Empire and he will find this information much to his liking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asmodeus-Don't worry, your posts have not been in vain, i have a friend who is strongly considering Empire and he will find this information much to his liking.
    Always a good thing

One thing about fantasy though- there doesn't tend to be a lot of games with a huge free for all melee in the middle. All armies require tactics. I've personally found a lot of High Elf players don't do much but summon the Comet of Cassandora (and to be honest, there are plenty of Empire players like this too). Each army is what you make of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asmodeus:

"Death in huge numbers? Imagine a Helblaster actually getting 30 hits in one shot. There are armies that are terrified to see it on the table. Sure, a Repeater Bolt Thrower doesn't misfire, but it doesn't have the same destructive potential that a Cannon or the Helblaster has. Not by far."

That is true. Cant argue there =D .

"Empire have better cavalry- Taking Inner Circle Knights give you Strength 4 knights (Str 6 on the charge). They have slightly better armor saves but are slightly slower. Taking the most commonly used Lord, the Templar Grand Master (I'd recommend using him too) makes the unit of Knights he's in Immune to Psychology. PLUS, the Empire cavalry can take a Magic Banner up to 50 pts without buying a Standard Bearer for it. And versatile? Between the Knightly Orders, Pistoliers, and a Captain on a Pegasus (a pretty common hero, oddly), you can fill all the necessary and auxilliary Cavalry roles."

Thats just bullshit. SHs have from 5+ to 1+ saves (HTH), and they are way faster than the human steeds. Also the Dragon Princes and the Ellyrian Reavers make the HE cavalry a force to be reconed with.

"[High Elf Spearmen] are 4 points more then Empire spearmen who can take handgunner detachments with the extra points and tear apart enemy Spearmen without any problems. Plus, detachments let you negate rank bonuses of opponents, and get extra Combat Resolution. High elves get extra attacks, but at Str 3, their combat resolution tends not to be terribly favorable. Empire are at Str 3, but can make up CR easily with detachments."

As I have said, the HE arent really CC people =) .

"[Archers] used to be better in 5th edition, if I remember correctly. But as for Empire, you get handgunners with stronger weapons that punch through armor, for 4 points less."

Yes. Thats all very well. Except for the longer range of the longbow and the superior BS of the HE, which makes them ALL worth while.

"Can't argue with that, but how do they take out a Bloodthirster, or something extremely powerful in close combat? They either shoot at it or hope they cast enough magic to kill it. What does the Empire do? Take Van Horstmann's Speculum (a 25 point item) and watch as you switch the important stats with your opponent. Nasty. As for mages, Empire actually have the ability to challenge High Elves in the magic phase, but it's a little tougher. Against most other armies though, Empire can usually dominate if they choose to."

Heh, tro to get Teclis on the board, and we shall see who dominates the Magic Phase. And yet again, yes, HE are fragile gay small men, so they arent HTH people. But with some skills your mage wint ever have to face a Bloodthirster, will he?

"Can't argue with that- Dark Elves and High Elves are unparalled in speed. Empire have a lot of things that take away march moves with simplicity though, so Empire speed is generally enhanced by making your opponents slower, not being fast yourself. For a small strike army, High Elves may be better, true, but at about 1000 points, Empire are a better choice. Empire are definitely more of army along the lines of an army, not along the lines of a hit and run force."

Well, the HE also have nifty units for blocking march moves. But I disagree with that the Empire have a more army-ish feel to it. It has a more 40k ish feel to it in my book. A High Elf army arranged on the table looks like a mighty roman army. Versatile as none other, and with the strength and confidence of their skills, they seem secure in that they shall win. I know the empire are a great army, and Im not saying they are. I just love my High Elves =) .

Closed Thread