Dwarf Army 2000 Pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Ok this is the list I'm going to be using against Skaven soon, tell what you think. BTW the army's fluff is in that section, but as I've been told it's too much like Karak-Hirn's so it'll probably change.

Throng a Khrum Kazad

King Dain Garaz (Lord) - 250 pts
    Axe, Gromril Armour, Shield
    Rune Axe: Master Rune Of Swiftness, Rune Of Cleaving, Rune Of Fury
    Rune Armour: Rune Of Resistance, Rune Of Stone

Orik Greatbeard (Thane - Battle Standard Bearer) - 188 pts
    Hand Weapon, Gromril Armour
    Rune Standard: Master Rune Of Fear, Rune of Battle

Snorri Stormbrow (Runesmith) - 157 pts
    Great Hammer, Hand weapon, Gromril Armour
    Rune Staff: Master Rune Of Balance, Rune Of Spellbreaking

Gotrek Helstrom (Runesmith) - 117 pts
    Great Weapon, Hand waepon, Gromril Armour
    Rune Armour: Rune Of Stone
    Rune Staff: Rune Of Spellbreaking, Rune Of The Furnace

20 Warriors - 245 pts
    Great Weapon, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield
    contains Full Command

20 Warriors - 205 pts
    Hand Weapons, Heavy Armour, Shield
    Contains Full Command

10 Thunderers - 140 pts
    Dwarf Handgun, Hand weapon, Light Armour

10 Crossbowmen - 120 pts
    Crossbow, Hand Weapon, Light Armour

20 Ironbreakers - 340 pts
    Hand Weapon, Gromril Armour, Shield
    Contain Full Command
    Rune Banner: Rune Of Courage

Flame Cannon - 140 pts
    Crew have Hand Weapon, Light Armour

Bolt Thrower - 95 pts
    Crew have Hand Weapons, Light Armour
    Rune Bolts: Master Rune Of Skewering, Rune Of Penetrating

Total = 1997 pts

King Dain leads Ironbreakers

Orik leads Warriors with Great Weapons

Snorri leads Warriors with Hand Weapons

Thanks for any constructive comments etc

I was thinking of dropping the Second runesmith and crossbowmen to make room for another warriors or maybe slayers. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I'm not very experienced so my comments are probably wrong and my beard unfortunatly stubby (( it's the elves fault! )) anyway I will help with advice though it may not be good advice.

I personally for the Battle Standard Like The Master rune of Stromni Redbeard (( +1 to combat of all units within 12 inches of it)) and also Rune of Battle (( +1 to combat resoulution of unit carrying banner altogther that costs 125 points I think but it adds 2 to the combat resoloution of the unit carrying it. So if you have a standard and 3 ranks then you have 6 combat resoloution. just an Idea.

You seem to be in my most humble opinion (( No I am not sickafantic just very inexperienced! sp? )) to be lacking in war machines though I may be wrong.

I do though like the 20 Ironbreakers do they have a magic standard?
    If not I personally like Rune of Kadrin (( all rolls of 1's when hitting are re-rolled ))
    I like it because I roll lots of 1's lol.

Well thats just my opinion. Some time i should post my Army on the message boards for people to critisise and make me feel bad by saying my armys rubbish lol yours faithfully Ross

Another note: seeing as Skaven usually make massive units alot of Bolt throwers would be effective like 2 or 3? and you already have Flame cannon which could kill afew but I like organ Gun myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Thanks, lets take a look...

For the Battle Standard I took MR of Fear beacuse of the Skaven low LD, ok this can be bolstered by rank but this where the missile units come in. I pick the biggest unit and try to make sure they end up near my BSB, then I reduce ranks thus they lose LD bonus and then might fail Fear test. And the Rune Of Battle is to help in combat.

As for the war machines, I do like lots but skaven have quick units like gutter runners, and can appear right underneath me. So the less I take the more I get to spend on rock hard infantry. I've taken the Flame cannon because it causes panic tests, and we all know how Skaven fare at them right?

The Ironbreakers do have a rune banner, they have Rune Of Courage. Just to make sure they don't run away from a rat. I've never use Rune Of Kadrin, but I have thought about using a Rune Of Slowness so I can get a counter-charge in.

I prefer the Flame Cannon to the Organ Gun, as with the Organ Gun it's only useful when they get close. And that's something I want to avoid for as long as possible, also the flame canno can cover more thus meaning more roast rat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the iron breakers - very charecterful
    I think it would be better to have 2 bolt throwers rather than just one with runes. Maybe if you can stretch to it a cannon (A good shot could see a big unit of skaven with around 7-8 casulties) Ive had good experiance with cannons, i dont like to blow my own horn but i do have a great cannon shot!

I think that the skavan should have a problen versus so much quality infantry. I wouldent go for the master ruen of slowness, skaven do have a long charge range and its just your luck your gonna roll a 1 <_<

I like your charecters although skaven havent got the best magic. Your probably better off droppig one smith to get a Dragon slayer (He&#39;ll hold of skaven units for a few turns and if you can get him into a flank he can win a combat (LOL but its pretty much immpossible to do so <_< )

The flame cannon is a good idea, if not for anything but the stench of burning rat flesh&#33;

Well im out of things to say, i hope ive helped a bit&#33;
    A Promise to a dead man means nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One note with your General I think master Rune of Swiftness is a waste of points.
    I mean striking first is good but then again Dwarf Lords are usually hard enough to handle striking last.
    Maybe swap Swiftness and rune of Stone for rune of Fury OR rune of Cleaving (( I suggest Fury lots of attacks&#33; and most of em won&#39;t get an armour save ))
    Also because you have taken out rune of stone your armour save won&#39;t be as good so with the points you have left get Master Rune of Gromril. (( That and resistance work well together&#33; ))

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

It&#39;s not a waste, being as Skaven have a higher I than Dwarfs. This means that in any turn I don&#39;t charge, he strikes first. So with MR Of Swiftness I strike first and hopefully reduce amount of attacks I recieve in return, thus meaning I have more attacks back. Or in simple terms less Skaven = More Dwarfs = Dead Skaven =)

As for the Rune of Stone, it&#39;s a cheap rune that does well. It incrases my save and I get a re-roll. With MR Of Gromril I have a great save but it costs more, so I save an get a decent save (being as a roll of a one is an automactic fail).

But I&#39;m just going to try out lots of combos til I find one that suites me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ll try to answer this from the perspective of a Skaven player.

You&#39;ve only got 5 units, which means any Skaven player worth his salt is going to outnumber you and be able to arrange flank charges. You&#39;ll want to be on guard for this, but I suppose this is customary for a Dwarf player.

Your shooting phase is going to be an interesting setup. You&#39;ll want to concentrate the fire from your Thunderers and Crossbowmen on units like Poison Wind Globadiers and Plague Censer Bearers. (They&#39;ll be in skirmish formation, so relatively easy to see where they are).

The Fear on the BSB is an interesting choice. Fear is one of those things that absolutely bends Skaven over the proverbial barrel. Watch out for Plague Monks, though. Their frenzy will let them pretty well ignore Fear.

Keep the Runesmiths with their runes of spellbreaking. (I don&#39;t have the new Dwarf book, but I assume these function identically to Dispel Scrolls?) Skaven must be on the offensive in every part of the game, and especially so in the magic phase. Warlock Engineers with their full specialty kit could end up hurting you badly if you don&#39;t have enough dispel dice.

As for taking the Slayers, maybe if you were trying to design an "All-comers" army, but against Skaven, I&#39;d not bother. T4 is as tough as anything in the army gets, except for one Hero level character who has T5.

War Machine-wise, Bolt Throwers scare Skaven, since most of our stuff is packed into ranks, but, only one BT is unlikely to cause enough casualties to be meaningful. Maybe try and get a second and concentrate their fire on one of your opponents hardest units. If the Flame Cannon works like I think it does, it could be a good choice, though again, the Skaven are unlikely to be in its effective range for more than a round or so before they&#39;re locked in HtH and unable to be shot at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

Hey thanks, I know I&#39;ll be badly out-numbered, but aren&#39;t Dwarfs always? As to the flanks charges I was thinking of setting up in a staggered formation, so that might stop flanks charges (a little).

The missile fire was going to be targetted on the biggest unit he has, if it contains his general, and I cause enough damage I could force it to flee (unlikely but I could manage it). Other than that when he sets up I&#39;ll decide which would cause more damge if allowed to reach my lines unmolested. Then pick on that one.

I thought I&#39;d try MR of Fear, being as Skaven have low Ld I figured they have a tough time passing the test. And thus allowing me chance to counter charge.

I was planning on keeping the runesmiths as they will allow me to counter their magic, as you said. And yes the Runes are basically dispel scrolls.

I was thinking that I might be a bit lacking in the war machine area but where to get the points? I can&#39;t drop the units down as then I would be really out-numbered and easier to break. I could drop the runes on the BT but with the extra S it can go through one more rank. If you think the Flame Cannon goes whooosh&#33; and then squirts out boiling hot tar and flames then yes, your right. I chose this because it&#39;s a template and can cause panic tests, so I might get lucky and takeout a large chunk of the unit. But it&#39;s short range so I won&#39;t get many turns and the FC would have to fire where it would cause more damage (either by the actual attack or by the panic test).

Thanks for your input

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was primarily suggesting you pick on the Poison Wind Globadiers and the Plague Censer Bearers because they have attacks that completely ignore Armor.

Also, if the General is in a unit that also contains the BSB, then he&#39;s likely to take the Sacred Standard of the Horned Rat (I know I would). SSotHR makes the unit it accompanies cause Fear, so that would largely negate the effects of the MR of Fear, at least against that core unit. If the BSB is not in that unit, and it&#39;s one of the few Skaven units allowed to take a Magic Banner, he&#39;ll likely put the Umbranner on it, which will largely render your shooting against that unit ineffective, unless Crossbowmen and Thunderer shots are higher than S4?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

I never put my BSB and general in same unit, it costs way too much&#33; I would probably put the general in the GW armed warriors so his MR of swiftness does most good. Fear&#39;s not that good against Dwarfs, what with every model having LD9+ we don&#39;t fail tests much.

No Crossbows and Handguns are S4, but the BT is higher I&#39;m not sure what he would take as he&#39;s fairly new, but it&#39;ll be fun and I&#39;ll be using the games to discover rune combos, and what best style fits me as will he. So I doubt we will both use exactly the same armies each game.

But thanks, this is helpful. BTW I thought about Slayers incase he took Rat Orges, they would head straight for them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast