Another 40k reject - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another 40k reject

Hello to you all in the fantasy section of the forum. I have come to you for help on the bit of customisation in warhammer that overides all other areas.

What army to choose?

After having played 40k for 5 years or so (space marines(duh!) and Imperial Guard), I have come seeking a fantasy army. For over a year now I have been considering which army and I still can't decide.

I have the 6th edition rules and have decided to pick up the army book of my chosen race when 7th edition rears its head. So that leave me 2-3 more months to choose.

Now the first thing I noticed about fantasy was when compared to 40k, the whole miniatures range was pathetic in comparison (In my opinion at least). But I just had to start somewhere so I was determined to find the best mniatures of the lot.
    The empire seemed good and till I saw their puffy french pants, and the high elves and dark elves wore dresses. The skaven were just rats, as the lizardmen were just lizards.(both animals I had no fascination for).
    In the end it left two races of suitable miniatures.
    The miniatures I like the most are from Wood Elves and Hordes of Chaos (Slaanesh).

Sow with that out of the way I have come to LO seeking advice on the play styles of both armies.

I would see myself as an agressive general, one that wins by tactics, not the sheer resilience of my troops or by huge numbers. Shooting wise, I despise war machines of any kind, the humble bow and arrow is what I would personally prefer my army to be equipped with.
    When it comes to close combat, I will not strike unless it is advantageous for my troops. And at the end of the day, I don't care whether I win, just that I had fun.

Please tell me IN YOUR OPINION what army suits me most (WE or HOC). And if you could, list the pros and cons of each.

Thanks for reading the post and good luck!

Catch ya!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

I'd say go with undead, completely different to what you're used to in 40k and fit all your criteria. They get all sorts of bonuses for shooting and they only take old bow and arrows. I've read the tomb kings army book and they look like just what you want, maybe vampire counts?

the models aren't that bad either, vampire counts have some good ones.

I've read the wood elf army book and am yet to discover why people fear them so much, they don't look that great, everything in the book is fairly weak and no matter how maneuverable they are a good cannon will still see them running.

I've never seen the chaos army book so no advice on that front.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try orcs. Very humble indeed when it comes to shooting. And with t4 they will stand against chargers if you dont want to charge yourselves. They have a very cheap starter set coming up with lots of nightgoblins.....and its a very funny and unpredictable army..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Well since you're asking for Hordes of Chaos or Wood Elves, from the description of the army you gave, Wood Elves seem the perfect choise on all accounts.

Hordes of Chaos (Slaanesh) Pros - Resilent troops(High T and S on a base model); Immune to Psycology;Fun to paint; Speed (on daemons)
    Cons No missile weapons (expet for Maurader Javalins and the Hellcannon, but you said no warmachines, so that is out); And all Chaos warriors come at a hefty price.

More Chaos tactics andinfo here

Wood Elf Pros - Best bow rules in the game; lots of skrimishers and scouts; fight on their own terms due to speed; FOREST SPIRTS! And IMHO the coolest models in the game: Waywatchers.

Cons - Low T; few ranked up units; on the more expensive side (points)
    More Wood Elf tactics and info here

Hope this helped,
    -Doom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for the replies, Rep all round.

I didn't really consider Tomb Kings before but they could be what I'm looking for. I didn't consider them because I was never a fan of ancient egypt but now that I've seen the models they look pretty awesome.

The only problem I see with Wood Elves is that some of the models are amazing e.g. waywatchers, and some aren't e.g. Glade guard. At least in my opinion.

Chaos sound o.k., but I prefer the Tomb kings model mange. I just need to know a few more things first.

1. When was the army book released (I don't want to buy it if it will get redone soon.)

2.How popular are they? (I don't want to collect an army like space marines where 80% of eople already do)

3. Do you have to use tactics to win? or are they straight forward like dwarfs?

4. Most importantly, are they fun to play with and against?

Again, thanks for all the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Tomb Kings must use tactics, each of their models is very expensive for a very weak statline so if you can't take advantage of their undead rule properly they are just going to get butchered by superior numbers and superior troops.

Undead get a lot of fun playing with morale too. Everything fears them and they fear nothing.

I don't think they are that popular, definately not the Space Marines of fantasy.

The army book is relatively knew. It won't be getting a new one for a while (empire is next right?) and after that its probably going to be skaven or orcs/goblins.

I fail to see how an army that relies on morale, is undead, sends your enemies running screaming by simply appearing on the board and keeps reviving and coming at people regardless of losses could be anything but fun to play. They would be boring as hell against another undead army but against anything else they would be great.

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the insane devlopments of the deep, dark recesses of my mind I have veered off the Tomb Kings somewhat and am now seriously considering Skaven. I've heard how cheesy they can be when used with all those cannons but after some research I decided I want to go clan eshin. Just love the idea of ninja, stealth type army.

But bear with me, I know I'm nearly at the end of my pilgrimage for finding an army. It would be great if someone could list the pros and cons of skaven, or a 40k analogy would be great too.

catch ya!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, double post!
    Last edited by Elric101; July 9th, 2006 at 11:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

228 (x8)

Sorry I have absolutely no idea on what the skaven do. I was considering collecting them but my friend convinced me they were outdated.

Clan Eshin sounds cool though. :ninja:

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Elric I am having the same problem right now! I can't decide between Tomb Kings and Skaven. I am leaning towards Tomb Kings because I could defenently paint them better than Skaven. And nobody (as far as I know) plays Tomb Kings in my LGS.

Cheers!
    -Doom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast