Just Can't decide - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Can't decide

Hello,
    I decided a month or two ago that I wanted to start Warhammer. I left a little for the summer and now I am still in the same spot of what army to choose. I have a little experience in 40k started IG but school got in the way. Now I am looking into starting Fantasy. I keep thinking that I have picked an army and then as time goes on I keep changing my mind. I know I want to have a more shooty army, and i dont think the huge horde armies don't really appeal to me. I guess thats really I have to go on. I just cant seem to make up my mind. Any help, recommendations, anything at all would help.

Thank You,
    Paper

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Keep in mind that I don't have any true experience at all with Fantasy... but here's my advice:

You want shooty, and you don't want a horde.

I recommend Wood Elves - one of the deadlier shooting armies, from what I can come up with, and with slightly more expensive/elite units, making them not only non-horde but a challenge to play with.

That, and they have the new, awesome models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the quick reply I will surely look into Wood Elves.

-Paper

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Do you know people who'd let you try out their army?

All the elf armies have good shooting. And dwarfs have good shooting too. If you want combat and shooting, then dwarfs might be up your alley.

The different elf armies vary a lot in how they play.

Maybe you can borrow someone's army book to look through, too?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunatly I am at a loss when it comes to friends who play. (most that I knew are gone now, kinda counting on meeting people from the gaming community at my store.) As far as shooting and close combat I dont care about close combat all that much. I just like to shoot.
    Thanks
    -paper

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Paperbag
    I dont care about close combat all that much. I just like to shoot.
    LoL, sounds like you want to stick with 40K then!

If you really want to go all out shooty then a gunline is the way forward, either empire or dwarfs.

However bear in mind that you should really take cc seriously in WHFB, most armies will be centered around this so your opponent will want to fight you hand to hand, even if you dont

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Stonehambey's right. You won't win without a respectable combat phase. Shooting can do a lot, but rarely will it win a game for you.

I use wood elves, and I love the shooting, but I rely on treemen, wardancers, and dryads to do the killing. The archers soften up the enemy while my fighters maneuver for position.

One of the gamers at my store gave someone this advice once: pick the game that you'll have people to play with. If most of your buds are into 40K, then do that. On the other hand, if there's a community of fantasy people at a local store or somewhere that you can get in on, then do it.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

The majority of infantry guns in WFB don't take things down that quickly, and are more useful for reducing things so that you can take care of them in CC. While you can shoot things to pieces, it is boring for the non-shooty player, and often boring for you. Many models cannot move and shoot, and almost none of your war machines can. As Stonehambey said, if you really want to just shoot and avoid CC, you are probably better off playing 40K.

Your options as I see them:

Dwarves - expensive infantry gunners, customizable war machines. Small army with excellent shooting. You will be slow, so basically your turns will be rolling to shoot, and nothing else. Good in CC, after foes are shot to pieces and stagger towards you.

Dark Elves, Wood Elves - expensive, fragile, highly mobile shooters, and Repeater Bolt Throwers (big crossbow things)

Empire: Lots of pretty cheap handgunners/ x-bows/ archers. Cannons. Mortars. Machineguns. You won't be able to move if you shoot, and you have to field a lot of models, almost like a horde.

Skaven: Excellent shooting, almost universally considered cheap, large numbers of rats.

If you want to actively avoid CC I'd say wood-elves or dark elves would be a good bet. I also say waiting until after the new rulebook is delivered would be wise... Dwarves and Woodelfs have had books released recently and are not likely to be heavily changed in the near future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the advise. I didn't mean to come off as completely anti CC I was just trying to help give more info for what army would be best for me. I don't want to ignore CC in the least, I just wanted to have an army that can shoot and shoot well. I understand that I need to have CC units and that only shooting can not win a battle. As for picking 40k or Fantasy I have played both games (very very little) but i have experienced a little of each. 40k was what my friends played and I went that route even though I liked Fantasy. Now I don't know anyone who plays and as far as the gaming community goes I am not sure whether it leans towards 40k or Fantasy. Before I started posting here I looked over 40k as well as Fantasy armies and I just prefered the models on the Fantasy end 40k just doesnt interest me at the moment. Yes, I want to shoot, but I do understand that you need CC units to win, and besides I like bows. As far as waiting till after the new rulebook, I am not planning on purchasing a rulebook until the new one comes out because I have an older one sitting around, I figure I can get the basics out of it for now.
    Thank You all again for all the info and help.
    -Paper

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Sorry to kind of post when this topic had finished, but I think Dwarfs are for you. Many people think that Dwarf gunlines are cheesy, they are really but it sounds like what you wanted

LT
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast