Starting out - what to buy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting out - what to buy?

With the new edition rules about to be released I've decided to take the plunge . I'm tossing up between Empire or Wood Elves. Being a relative noob to the whole GW thing, apart from the rulebook and minis, is it worthwhile buying the respective army book(s) despite them about to be last edition?
    Any advice would be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Empire should be redone in the next couple of months, but woodelves is pretty new, and is geared for the next version. Therefore Wood Elves would be safe to buy, but Empire might come out at any time now. You should start the one you like the best, as I don't see empire changing much for the next edition. So look in the book and see for yourself. Not much should change (not the models, and most likely not the book itself either) in the new edition.
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you look in the rumours section empire is changing alot including models so i would stay away from empire. wood elves recently came out so as said there the safe bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyKONG922
    if you look in the rumours section empire is changing alot including models so i would stay away from empire. wood elves recently came out so as said there the safe bet.
    Yeah had a read of that today . So looks like Empire won't be out till early next year. I've been leaning towards wood elves but being new to the game I wasn't sure if they were good to start with. Had read that they weren't a good choice for noobs
    But having said that I do like the look of them and they seem to suit my projected playstyle.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I love wood elves, but I'm really worried about how the new skirmish rules will affect my play. I use two units of dryads, two units of wardancers (or one big unit), and two alters, all of whom skirmish. Once they're marchblocked, my superior manueverability, which has been key to winning games, is sharply reduced.

If I were you, I'd wait a couple of weeks and see if you can watch a game or two, or maybe even use someone's figs to play one and see what you think.

Empire can be really cool if they do it right. I don't much care for the current figs but I like the army itself. It's got everything you can want from an army: infantry, knights, shooting, monsters, warmachines, the works.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Yes i wouldn't have said the WE are geared for the next addition with the new skirmisher rule. They rely on their superior movement so i'm also interested to see how they fare. I'm also a little concerned about my lizardmen cos i run about 50 skirmishers in the way of skinks. But they are cheap and live to die anyways so i dont think it'll affect me too much^_^

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. After all that I've had a change of heart and will do orcs/gobbos :wacko:

+ Reply to Thread