Need help choosing, lizardmen? or Britonions? or Scaven? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help choosing, lizardmen? or Britonions? or Scaven?

Hey guys i need some opinions on whats going to happen to these races in 7th edt. Im very new to fantasy, havent even choosen an army yet. And i need some help. I play against wood elvs dwarfs, tomb kings beasts of chaos and orks and goblins. What army would have a natural advantage over these guys, or what would be a better choice. Im kinda leaning toward lizard men but im not to sure. Plz help secure my choice thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

In actual fact no army has a distinct "advantage" over another. It is merely a style of play, what the opponent fields and their tactics.

The best advice that you can be given is to simply choose an army that YOU like the best. whether it be the look, the feel, the troops, the fluff, whatever. You then just make the army work for you.

Every army is balanced. Advantaged in some areas, offset in others or simply average at everything.

I must say that Lizardmen have a bit of everything as well as THE MOST powerful mage in the game in the form of the slaan as well as, arguably, the best core infantry unit in the game also.

The lizardmen rank in my top three favourite armies (the others being chaos mortals and dark elves) so IMO they are a satisfying, tactically challenging and fun army to play!!

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wheaton15243
    Hey guys i need some opinions on whats going to happen to these races in 7th edt. Im very new to fantasy, havent even choosen an army yet. And i need some help. I play against wood elvs dwarfs, tomb kings beasts of chaos and orks and goblins. What army would have a natural advantage over these guys, or what would be a better choice. Im kinda leaning toward lizard men but im not to sure. Plz help secure my choice thanks in advance.
    A couple of things I can point out.

Lizardmen:
    Pro
    *best spell caster in the game with new magic rules -Slann
    *best core troops -Saurus
    *good overall leadership with thier specail rule

Con
    *Saurus are kinda slow, I2 and 4" movement
    *not much ranged stuff, blowpipes, salamanders, and steggy only
    *average pt cost is a bit higher then most armys

Brits:
    Pro
    *fast - lots of mounted stuff
    *good armor
    *lance formation hurts if you can get the charge

Con
    *not much ranged stuff
    *pt cost on knights can get high

Skaven
    pro
    *large army - can soak up allot of damage
    *lots of funny/unquie troop types
    *cheap pt cost

con
    *large army - lots of painting if that matter to you
    *morale is low - be ready to have half your army running away
    *skaven die easy - T3 and most don't have armor saves

I play lizardmen myself. The a few things that you need to be aware of:
    *skinks die easy.
    *sauras are slow and will often attack last against most troops unless they have great weapons.
    *slann kick butt when it comes to magic, always take at least a 4th gen slann if you decide to take one.
    *saurus are very durable and can take abuse better then most core troops - T4, natural armor + shield + spawning mark and 2 attacks each!
    *passing leadership checks for lizardmen is usually not a problem for them with thier special rule.
    *they only have 3 things that have range attacks! blowpipes, the bow on the steggy, and salamaders. (Well Engine of Ancients if you use a red crest army list)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Well Engine of Ancients if you use a red crest army list
    That sounds interesting, where might i find the specifics of the "engine of the ancients"?

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the 'Engine of the Ancients' was published in the Lustria? book. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there was an older thread regarding this specific unit.

As to your question about three armies, they are remotely different from each other. In fact, they're so different it all depends on what you like and your playing style.

Lizzies - They're the slowest of the three (discounting skinks since they can't rank up, CoRs are too expensive to rank up) since the main infantry, Saurus Warriors, only have M4. They're expensive and great at hand-to-hand combat. However, their shooting is quite limited but Sallies are AWEsome. Oh, and they have the strongest magic of the three.

Brets - Calvary, more calvary, and some more, heavier, calvary. Charge, charge, charge. Lance formation. Oh and cheap Men-at-arms for ranks. Peasant Bowmen are great too since you could field dozens of them at generally no points at all.

Skaven - lotsa, lotsa, tons of rats. Below average hand-to-hand combat skills. Has one of the deadliest SAD (Shooty Army of Doom) lists in WHFB. Lots of ranks and counts on outnumbering and those pesky ratling guns/jezails for victory. Watchout for those warp-cannons!

Basically, if you like shooting go for Skavens. If you like charging, go for Brets. If you like magic and great infantry, go for Lizzies. Of course this is just a generalization as they are more specifics to each army.
    Currently Playing:
    WHFB: Warbands/Border Patrol

Battlelog: Lizardmen
    W/L/D
    7/5/8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i personaly like lizardmen, WHO ELSE GET DINOSAURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but clan pestilence skaven with warplighting cannons, and gattling guns can be overwealming elsecial when you vers them for the first time

i'v never see bretonians in action

but ye like they said above its the army you like the idear of, do you like dinosaurs?, rats? or men?

you can always adapt your fighting style later but you should also take this into account
    lizard-- strong blocks of troops with large, masercering monsters-- troops backed up by mages
    rats-- thousands of troops with advanced guns-- sacrifice guys
    bretonians--?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I happen to play both Lizardmen and Skaven so I will comment on them. I would say that Lizardmen are probably the most fluid working army. What I mean by that is, the army seems really balanced with itself. As mentioned before, this army is not quite as mobile as some, and the I1 of saurus will anoy you immensly. They have strong Magic, strong Melee, a solid core unit, and good specials/rare. Overall a very satisfying army.

Skaven are very quick (all models are at least movement 5) and attack en mass. I think they require more strategy in their concept because you are relying on a much larger force to work in tandum in order to succeed. In other words, you cannot just throw 6 or 7 blocks of rats on the board, move them up, and expect them to win. You really need to think of staggering their deployment, fleeing from charges, actually intending to break, etc. To accomplish this, skaven have Slaves intended to do the job. At 2 points a model, these really crappy units can make all the difference in the world.

To be honest, I tend to like Skaven more because I like the horde. And, believe it or not, skaven can have the best leadership in the game with 10 assuming a warlord is in a unit of 3+ ranks. Leadership can come back and bite us if we are not careful, but that is where the strategy comes in:shifty: . It is all in what kind of playstyle you are looking for. Good luck.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

~Moved to FB Armies

+ Reply to Thread