Who is the best special character? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is the best special character?

Who do you guys think is the best special character in the game, both in terms of overall strength and best for their points cost. I haven't seen every special character, but I would say that Archaon is the strongest I've seen, while Crom would be my pick for the best value special char. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well im a vampire counts player and go with Manfred Von Carstein But i would also go for Archion . Im pretty sure i spelled that wrong :-). THe reason why i like Manfred is that he has a 3 up ward save and can cast one of his spells without rolling any powerdice.
    Over the hill. But Commissar there everywhere over there. *Laspistol shot* Anyone else??

Blessed is the mind to small of doubt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

That's a tough question to answer.

Usually uber-heroes excel in either combat or magic. Personally, I find combat more reliable, but then again, Zacharias the Everliving is a mean son of a bitch. And Lord Kroak is nothing to croak at either.

But Archaon, he's the best special character combatant in the game IMO.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

My vote goes for Thorek Ironbrow.

Rediculously overpowered for his points cost. Ancient power on a 3+ which you can re-roll?:x

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Yeah, he's a great one for the cost. And some of the new O&G characters are pretty darned mean, especially for their cost. That goblin with six wounds is just nutty!

For magic, Zacharias the Everliving is downright nasty. I've used him only once, so my judgment is limited, but he was a force unto his own, and he should be for the ridiculous amount of points he costs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, "best" is a bit subjective.

IMHO, the best overall special character is the green knight. I am of course biased since I play bretonnia, but I'll explain my reasons:

1. (And most importantly) the model: The model for the Green knight is so good it has survived multiple (now 3) versions of the game (first came out in 5th edition). Let's face it, it's a beautiful model, and the last one to be sculpted by that guy who got his hand blown off, so it's kind of a landmark fig. (one of the perry twins, don't remember which)

2. Not overpowered: I think what you get vs what you pay for is quite reasonable for him. He's not a "game winner" like Aarchion, but let's face it, why would you want to spend nearly half your army points for ONE guy? Aarchion (and others) have all the nuance and subtlety of a wrecking ball.

3. Fluff: The Green Knight is fun from a fluff perspective. He's a GHOST! He appears randomly on the board (as if from nowhere), and even if you kill him, he'll PROBABLY just come back and haunt you again...

4. He keeps coming back: I said this above, but it bears repeating. This guy is extremely difficult to kill.

I don't think the Green Knight is going to win any games for you. He's not particularly powerful. He is also unlikely to appear in any games less than 3000 points, since he takes up a lord slot and yet can't be your general. But he is FUN as hell to play with. "NONE SHALL PASS!"

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Well I think the best 2 characters avaliable for there points and general effect on the game are Eltharion, the blind elf, and Thorgrim Grudgebearer, the Dwarf king.

Eltharion changes the entire way a high elf army can fight, and he is rock hard in close combat without being beardy or overpriced.

Thorgrim is just plain mental. A dwarf who can literally carve through pretty much any character he feels like!! You have to be kidding!!
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

grimgor

in my opinion i would go with new grimgor 7 attacks at s7 striking first are you having a laugh plus the 1+ save and 5+ ward save for around 250 points thats mental:x

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Yeah, Grimgor is a real death-dealer, and at a bargain price.

Is it just me, or do the new special characters seem to have more bang for their buck?

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

They do, it's true. The Dwarven special characters are mental, but I haven't seen if the new Orcs ones are the same. If that's true about Grimor, then what is it going to be like when they get the Tyrion and Archaon!!
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast