So confused re; new army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

So confused re; new army

Hi again

I'm trying my damndest to find an army I really like in WHFB, and want 'expert' advice before I fork out hundreds to discover they're naff, so am pleading for help
    I recently posted on the Lizardman forum regarding and all mounted force, but have since fallen out with idea, sincere apologies for wasting anyone's time there.
    Trouble is, I really don't know which way to go.
    I like the idea of a defensive army, shooty and anti magic (the fact I play Dark Angels goes someway to explaining that I think) so Dwarves seem ideal.
    Then again, as I play DA in 40k, it might get boring.
    So I thought of High Elves, lots of magic, 3 ranking spears and decent special units (chariots, bolt throwers and their ilk), but am put off a little bit by a possible lack of numbers.
    Ditto with the Dark Elves, except less magic and mayhap a monster.
    Then Skaven came to mind as a total opposite, a horde army with good guns, and the possibility of fielding a 50 strong unit in almost any size battle.
    Finally came an all Khorne Chaos army, uber strong, probably the cheapest money wise to get and good anti magic.

The elf armies seemingly require more tactics to use, as the dwarfs can sit back and wait, the frenzied Khorne simply have to run towards the enemy, and the skaven have sheer volume to take things out.
    So any ideas at all that will help me choose would be top banana.

Apologies if this is too coverall for the Dwarf forum, but I couldn't find a Warhammer forum for discussing more than one topic.

Cheers,

Dave

I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With a complete Dwarven Gunline, I don't believe many people would play you too many times.

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Trying to find a coverall army can be tricky. I've got Elves (High and Dark), Dwarves, and Khorne/Undivided Chaos, so I can sypathize with your plight. Here's my current thoughts for you.

Gunlines can get unsporting very quickly. They are powerful enough to smash things apart well, but you might as well not be playing after a little bit, cause all you do is roll dice to hit things. Fun occasionally, but it gets boring to play and to play against.

Dwarves are an excellent gunline army. They can play as an offensive army fairly successfully, but they don't have the diversity of unit types that the other races do.

HE and Dark Elves are similar. Dark elf heavy cavalry suffers from stupidity, HE infantry is very expensive. HE can play all cav or mixed cav and infantry, all infantry lists suffer. DE can play all infantry, mixed cav and infantry, or monster heavy lists. All cav is a little limited due to stupidity. Both have somewhat expensive and fragile elite troops, decent shooting (mostly from Bolt Throwers) and powerful but expensive magic. Niether have very survivable close combat characters.

Chaos, especially Khorne, is all close combat. This was the first army I was successful with, and I played against ORC gunlines to start (lots and lots of catapults, fanatics, and chariots).

Honestly, I think you should look at the models more than anything. What are you going to want to assemble and paint an entire army of? Do you want varieties of troops? Do you like painting horses? Do you want monsters? Do you want war machines? From there, you can develop a playstyle that matches the army you can stand to paint.

Keep in mind that the dwarf and chaos rules are going to stay static for a little while, while the various elves you're looking at are likely to have rules changes in the next 2 years.

Hope that helps,
    Koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

Thanks Koosh, a much appreciated reply.
    Honestly, I think Dark Elves are the coolest looking race. They look all mean and pointy and generally like they'd love to kill you one flake of skin at a time rather than lobbing your head off.
    I have all the army books, and the main thing that puts me off both HE and DE is T3. T3 on my core units I can handle, but 300pts + for a decent sized unit of Phoenix/Sword/Black Guard/Executioners is too easy to take down with (often) only a 5+ sv and T3.
    It also, to me, seems a waste to give models with such high I great weapons, as again T3 5+ save without inflicting any casualties first = quite a few dead elves. But S3 aint gonna do much either.
    Skaven are the least aesthetically pleasing, but then they are meant to be. The thought of using 200+ models appeals to me, but the thought of painting 200+ models does not.

Further to the painting side, there are a few things I've never painted - Horses and Flesh are two of those.
    I think I'm veering towards a full Khorne Mortal list. But why can't Chaos Knights take lances?
    I think they would probably be the easiest to both use and collect for a beginner, no? Cheaper certainly than Skaven to get 2000pts, not as daunting to paint, and tactics dictated by the Frenzy rule - i.e charge belly first into whatever is standing there, and no magic to confuse me.

I'll draw up a few lists tonight - the folk who I'll be playing against use 3000pt lists so they can have a Lord - so I'll put one up in the relevant forum.

Cheers.
    I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

~Moved to FB Armies

Khorne is a vicious list, and one you will hopefully have a lot of fun with.

I believe the reason chaos knights can't take lances is because it would make them strength 7, which would be a little :x

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say Chaos. Having no range units, I would not think of not running straight at the enemy in front of me. Use those killer knights to flank. I choose to play Chaos, only played 1 game and I was very pleased with them. I think some of these stuff is cool and interesting too.

Lots of the stuff is powerful but has a price that is sometimes suicidal. Like Archaon, you can roll double Attack dice with him but any 1s hit him or his allies around him. Yet the power is still great to make up for it! Which is fun when you play an army that hurts itself to hurt a lot more.

Ive found that attacking, if used right can be way better then defending. This is a fact Ive found in all games in general.

+ Reply to Thread