Librarium Online Forums banner

WE, VC, or Ogres

706 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DavidWC09 
#1 ·
Hey guys, im new to warhammer and was wondering what army i should start. I was thinking Ogres, Wood Elves, or Vampires. If you guys could give me your opinions on the pros and cons of those armies. I was looking for an army good against Orcs and Druchii.

#3 ·
Dude, you have come to the right place. I have three complete armies. In chronological order, they are Vampire Counts, Wood Elves, and Ogre Kingdoms.

VC are unbreakable, which is a huge advantage in combat. If you play the army right, you can suffer the attending deficit without much trouble. Instead of taking break tests, you'll just lose models, and what's a couple of zombies to a vampire lord anyway? He'll just raise more.

Plus, they all cause fear. A huge advantage. They have a terrific chance of winning combat and running down the enemy if you can swing the fight your way.

They have good infantry and special units, but their statistics are low, especially WS. Most undead are slow to react and hit easily in combat.

Vampires on the other hand kick ass. They are incredibly fast, strong, and powerful. Plus, they use magic. Very few lord level characters excel in both magic and combat; however, most vampires can't wear armor. So you'll rely on talismans to keep your vamp alive.

There's no shooting whatsoever. And no real monsters (ogre-sized units).

WEs are a lot of fun. They are low toughness and expensive. A basic archer costs two zombies or 1 one and a half skeletons. They have little armor.

Shooting is superior as glade guard take fewer penalties, ignore wooded terrain, and have improved strength at short range.

Forest Spirits are nasty units that pack a wallop. Dryads are one of the best bargains in the game, even though they cost more than ten points a model. Treemen are brutal beasts of the forest.

You rely on mobility, tactical play, shooting, and more to win with WEs. It's a tricky army, but has a lot of variants. You can even go infantry based if you want.

OK are one of the toughest armies to win with because combat is so important in WHFB. They have no ranks and rely on wounds to win combat. They have fear, which is really important, but low leadership.

Their only shooting is the scraplauncher, hunter, and gnoblar sharp stuff.

They have incredibly tough characters and lots of multi-wound models pounding the crap out of things. When they work, they are like a wrecking ball.

#4 ·
Well, I think that, out of the three you mentioned, the VC are more forgiving to new players. It will take fewer games to learn to use them properly and get yoruself some wins. That being said, take the one you like the models best for. You will be more interested in them and make your life in the hobby longer :)

#5 ·
Thx for the input guys, ive decided against Ogres and VC and am now considering Empire.

I like Empire cause they have Warrior Priests, are mostly plastic, are pretty simple to paint have lots of good shooting. I personally hate Human models because they are so plain, but I like their play style and that is why im considering them.

Ive been thinking and thinking and cant make a decision so put your info in there!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.