Defend your army... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defend your army...

Hey all!

I am kind of new to Warhammer! I tried to get into it a few months back but never really got round to it due to finding it hard to pick an army!

So here i want you all to spill your favorite armies aspects. Why you like them, whats good about them and what drew you to them e.t.c.

You need to do a good job though because it takes alot to make me stick with one army!

Thanks alot everyone! Hopefully you have what it takes to draw me in!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that you should go for Hordes of Chaos. One of the main reasons is that there is so much variety that you can basically pick and choose if you want for example a magicky army or maybe an all close combat army. There is one aspect that all of chaos armies have though, and that is domination in close combat. Their units are relatively small, but they can crush just about anything.

They also have access to a number of different daemons, ranging from flying stingrays (screamers) to infectious blobs (Nurglings). You can pick to have one type of army, or you can choose to be undivided and allow all kinds of guys in your army from the Chaos Range. In addition to all of this, you can add units from the Beasts of Chaos Miniature Range into your army.

They can also field cheap guys that are still decently strong (Marauders). Chaos is also the only range that can field a two headed dragon! :w00t:

The only problem is that they lack ranged weapons, but every army has to have a weakness, right? Oh, but they do have the Hellcannon. This things is awesome, being able to wipe out entire regiments with a single shot. One of the interesting things about it though, is that its alive, so it can run forward and attack models that get too close to it!
    Well there you go, my short summary of Chaos :yes:
    Gullible isn't in the dictionary...check if you don't believe me.

Army: Mortal Tzeentch (HoC)
    W:1 D:0 L:0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

The first and most important rule to choosing an army is to pick the one with the models you like the best. Failing that, do you have any preference for certain tactics, and are there any armies you definitely don't want to play?

I'm fairly new myself, and I am also finding it difficult to stick to one army. No sooner had I got 1000 points of High Elves painted than I found myself in GW handing over the cash for some Orc Boyz. I'm considering forcing myself to buy a load more elves tomorrow so that I can actually get the army to 2000 points and not forget them...

But anyway, i chose High Elves because I like many of their aspects, specifically the background and the models. A lot of people don't like the HE range but that is of course personal opinion. They will be getting a new army book fairly soon (Next Fantasy army), so that should give them some interesting new rules and models.
    I like the fragile but deadly image of the high elf, they aren't tough, but are very skilled and can be deadly if used well. They have a very strong magic phase, with access to all 8 lores in the rulebook, and High Magic, their own lore. They also get a very nice selction of magic items for low points costs.
    Their cavalry is superb, and HE are one of the most common choices for heavy cavalry armies, after Bretonnians of course.
    However, they will often be outnumbered as there are no models in the entire list that are less than 10 points. The infantry choices are generally interesting but mostly overcosted, and the army is considered reasonably difficult for a new player - but that didn't deter me

I'm also interested in the Orcs and Goblins because, well, you can't help but love them. Everything the HE aren't, smelly, brutal, numerous and tough. But mainly I love the Orcy mentality, they don't care what happens as long as they get a good fight. The Goblins are great too, lacking the brute strength of the orc, they prefer cowardly, spiteful violence to outright figting.
    They have one of the most diverse selections of units, only really coming second to chaos, so there is a lot of customisation possible.
    In game, they have several special rules, one of the main ones being animosity. This means that there is a chance that units will grind to a squabbling halt, or maybe surge forwards to show that 'dey is best. Whether you like the Orcs and Goblins is probably manly down to whether you would enjoy the unpredictable nature and have fun even if your units misbehave, or if you would get annoyed at it. I think they're brilliant. Waaaagh!
    Last edited by Ancalagon; March 7th, 2007 at 01:02.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Blood & Souls for Khaine! flameseeker574's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Im fairly new too but ill tell you what i like about my DE anyways

The first thing that brought me to dark elves were their cool looking models, and then when I started reading the rules and looking at all the units i saw that there was a lot of monsters(hydra,manticore,dragon) heck even there knights aren't content to ride on horses
    Now that I have played a few games i know the army better and i like the way that a durchii force acts on the battlefield, with swift precise movements that will cause most enemies to split their forces, then you cant strike home with a powerful unit like coldone knights or a chariot.

lastly I find that the themes of the different armies are quite varied and cool, you could have a monster themed army with Dragons, Manticores and hydras in it supported by a few chariots and harpies.Or you could have a raider army with lots of corsairs, dark riders, and RBTs. Best of all all of these different armies are competitive.

If you do start De i would buy a mage, 2 boxes of warriors(20 spear 12Xbows) and an RBT and expand from there, this will give you a good 600ish pt starting force

good luck on picking an army
    flameseeker574

+ Reply to Thread