Im new to WHFB and LO!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im new to WHFB and LO!!

Hey guys! well, im new to LO and WHFB all together(i play DA in 40k) so ive decided to start WHFB. Im considering a couple of armies and i would just like your opinions and likes. The Armies are... Vampire Counts, Orcs and Goblins, High Elves, Wood Elves, and Beasts of Chaos.

Both elf armies intrest me because 1. they look cool 2. very fast 3.slightly more tactical need than other armies and 4.above average WS.

VC has great magic(curse of years!!), even better heroes and most of the troops are unbreakable.

O&G has high toughness troops and some nice offensive magic as well as good heroes and some nice cheap chariots and Cavalry.

Beasts of Chaos has the ability to use the Lore of Pain and Pleasure(Slannesh) is very fast and is strong for how cheap they are and dont forget doombulls!

So which armies do you guys like and why? What do you think their pros and cons are? My friends play Dark Elves, Brettonians while my local store has mostly Wood Elf Players.

Thanx in Advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Blood & Souls for Khaine! flameseeker574's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey welcome to LO Murcado =)

I would say go with whatever army looks the coolest to you because when it comes down to it you will spend a lot of time building and painting those models and it will be no good if you dont like them,with that aside ill get on to your armies.

high elves- their great magic and good core units make them a soild choice for anyone, although it may take you a little while to learn how to use them and startwinning games, but that is the same with all of the elf armies.

VC- i personally don't like the models but whatever,they have good magic just like the high elves and just about need it to win. but be careful about only liking one spell in the list because chances are you wont get it and will a 10+ to cast it will be hard to get off.

O&G- although they have decent magic they also have a horrible miscast table too, they are an army where you can lose control of your units at the worst times, although some people find this fun i dont really like the idea.

I dont know much about beasts of chaos to say anything.

good luck making your chocie pm me if you have more questions

~Flameseeker574

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Whenever someone needs advice in choosing an army I say the same thing. Go with the one whose models you like the most. As has already been said you will spend a lot of time, effort and money on the models. If you aren't that fond of them you won't be too happy when it comes to painting them.

I won't really go into the armies' advantages and disadvantages as they're quite easy to find just by browsing arounmd and reading stuff, but I will ask what sort of playstyle are you looking for? Combine the right sort of playstyle with a range of minis you like and that's the army for you.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Welcome to LO, Lord Murcado.

Me, I play VC and WEs mainly. I take out the OK once in a while, lose a few games, and reshelve them until later.

VC, great magic, all fear-causing, unbreakable, awesome heroes. A fun army to play. Core troops, they suck and dont' kill anything. But hey, they cause fear and are unbreakable. A flank or rear attack, you win one round of combat, and even dwarfs run away lickety split.

WEs, awesome models. Very unique style of play compared to other armies. Excellent shooting. Mediocre offensive magic, strong defensive magic if you choose to invest in it. Forest Spirits kill stuff good. In fact, pretty much every WE unit kills stuff good, with the exception of tactical units (Warhawks, Glade Riders, Great Eagles).

BoC. Meh, not my thing. Low leadership and the blighters run off at the first sign of trouble. Pesky to play against, but less of a problem for my WEs since they skirmish, too. Models, so-so IMO. Not that exciting to me. Very cool opportunities for some nasty monsters and dipping into the HoC army book is fun.

High Elves, wait. The new army book is purported to be out this summer. Lately, the rumors have been fairly accurate, so hopefully, they'll hold true again.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx for all the posts guys, im probably going to WE becuse of the awesome looking, models, speed, and some nice shooting. Whats a good starting point with them? i think waywatchers are awesome and with BS 5, and Lethal Shot il run some in all my lists so besides them what else?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Murcado View Post
    Thx for all the posts guys, im probably going to WE becuse of the awesome looking, models, speed, and some nice shooting. Whats a good starting point with them? i think waywatchers are awesome and with BS 5, and Lethal Shot il run some in all my lists so besides them what else?
    This is my advice:

Buy or convert a Branchwraith model. You can make one from the Dryad sprues. Then you have a cheap, fighting hero with a murder of spites and annoyance of netlings, or a more expensive lvl 1 magic user that can give you an extra dispel die with the cluster of radiants instead of the murder of spites. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Buy a noble or convert one from the Glade Guard sprues. You want someone who can take the hail of doom arrow, suit up for combat, or both.

What should be clear by now is that you need to buy Dryads and Glade Guard. Both units are staples of successful WE armies. Plus, the kits give you lots of bits to use as you see fit to customize your units or use on models you purchase later.

I wouldn't run WWs at less than 1500, but that's just me. Just proxy some of your GG as WWs for a few games, then try scouts for a few games, and see which you prefer.

I'd say buy two boxes of GG and two of Dryads.

That represents about $140 straight from the factory. If you skulk around eBay, you might grab a bargain. Of course, you can always buy one box of each and get a 500 pt army on the table.

Last, I'd say visit the WE forum and get the advice from some of the other guys who play that army. People have lots of different playing styles and will have different opinions on what to purchase after you get your archers and dryads on the table. Once you get the basics down, you have lots of cool options like Wardancers and Wild Riders, not to mention Eternal Guard, Treekin, and Treemen. Plus, the flyers.

All in all, it's a fun and different army. I think you'll like it.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; March 22nd, 2007 at 07:32.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx a lot, im buying a box of GG and Dryads as I speak

+ Reply to Thread