Cheesy Army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Cheesy Army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played a proxy battle with some friends last night,my first debut as an empire general. 1 Opponent was using kislev/ulric empire,all cavalry. The other used 6 RBT's,4x10 un upgraded xbow elves,4 cold one chariots w/ 4 mages in them. To complete the list,he had a Lord on a dragon,and a high sorcoress on a manticore. In other words,he spent 410 points on core,then spent the rest on magic artillery and monsters. To give him credit,he is never one to power game. His army lists always look that way,but he never plays them in a fashion to compliment the mozerella. Anyways,it was a slaughter. My army list is as followed,i might be off in points a bit:

Lords:740
    Elector Count w/ Runefang Full Plate Armour Sheild and Handgun 210

Battle Wizard w/ 2 Dispell Scrolls 110

Battle Wizard w/ 2 Dispell Scrolls 110

Engineer w/ Hotchland Long Rifle and Light Armour 90

Engineer w/ Hotchland Long Rifle and Light Armour 90

Preist of Sigmar w/ Sword of Might Armour of Meteoric Iron 130

Core units:944

25 Swordsman w/ Standard 187

-10 Free Company 50

-10 Handgunners 80

25 Swordsman w/ Standard 187

-10 Free Company 50

-10 Handgunners 80

10 Handgunners w/ Marksman & Hotchland Long Rifle 105

10 Handgunners w/ Marksman & Hotchland Long Rifle 105

10 Huntsmen 100

Special:940

1 Great Cannon 100

1 Great Cannon 100

6 Pistoliers w/ Marksman & Repeater Pistol 142

6 Pistoliers w/ Marksman & Repeater Pistol 142

24 GreatSwords w/ Griffon Banner 326

-10 Free Company 50

-10 Handgunners 80

Rare:375

3 Hellblaster Volley Guns 375

total:2999 models:188 Power:4 Dispell:5

The line was deployed as followed. To give an overview of the board,it was my basement floor with terrain spread out. My cannons went on hills. My greatswords and EC took the center,with the swordsman supporting. Handgunners were played in between the three main CC units,and on the flanks. The volley guns were placed 1 to the far right flank,which came in a sort of angle,and 2 on the broader main front. The pistoliers were kept behind the outmermost flank units. The Huntsmen scouted to behind a building near the enemy cavalry army. What happened was this. My dark elf friend seemed a bit wary of trying to take me on,considering i had 2 great cannons,we were playing on a huge board,and he had chariots and monsters(to boot,the entire game i only missed with my cannons twice out of maybe a dozen times). He positioned 4 reavers to face my battle line,along with 2 warrior swuads. The dragon hid behind a hill,the remaining squads had his flank. The cavalry army charged him with light cavalry,and sent the main body in my direction. 4 big units of cavalry headed my way. Fortunatly i had the huntsmen. They baited a knight unit into a potential charge,then went in between 2 units of knights,preventing them from marching. His other two units could of either waited to attack as a whole under cannon fire,or wait a couple turns for his other 2 units to catch up(the same turn as the prevented march moves,the baited unit charged successfuly,and i ran and was overrun. All in all worth it for me,as it kept a cav. unit tied up for some crucial turns). Well,lets just say knights dont do well vs blackpowder. 2 Hellblasters opened up. Im not sure if i have the rules wrong,or their just plain godly,but for the first 1 i rolled a 2,8,and 10 on the artillery dice. So 20 S4 Armour peircing shots at 1 squad. Combined with the handguns,it died. The other one didnt fair much better. 18 shots off from the hellblaster,2 units of handguns this time. More massacre. He had 3 intanct units of knights left,his 30 or so light cavalry having almost broken the flank of the elves(if it werent for that damned dragon). With the two delayed ones going for my line,he simply ran away. I dont blame him,there wasnt any indication the 2nd two units of knights would fare any better. The dark elf player decided to advance on me,while i realligned my army to face his. He got his RBT's into range of my front units. Fortunatly you cant move and fire those things. So i blew one off the face of the earth with the great cannon. The other greatcannon actually managed to slam throgh 2 warriors and into a chariot. My main units were getting bored now,so i sent one unit of pistoliers out to deal with the cavalry armies 2 dogs of war cannons. So far my army had lost a total of 4 models. 2 free comany and two handgunners. THis was getting real sad real quick. In 3 turns of marching,the pistoliers got in range of the cannons and charged them to hell and back(he had actually been trying to aim the cannons at them,but he was getting horrible luck. I guess its hard to hit exactly on target when the enemy is constantly moving foward and 1 rank deep). So heres to recap:
    elves had 2 units of xbows left,cav had destroyed two. He had 3 repeaters left,two having been charged and the crew slain,1 having been cannoned. He had 2 chariots left,one cannoned,the other the victim of a S7 preist of ulric(or something). He also had both monsters left,full wounds.
    Cav had 2 slightly battered units of knights left. The third w/ lord had charged the flank of the DE,and due to the fact of the DE rolling a 2 for his flanked units LD test,these had been killed from various sources. So now we had an obvious problem. there were only 3 things on the board that could even hope to outrange me,and the cannons could take care of them. The cavalry wasnt strong enough to charge me,or take on the dragon of the DE. At this point,i withdrew from the game,seeing as how there wasnt a chance in hell i was going to lose. My friends were less than pleased with the battle though. My warmachines had decimated them,and the units that got past them faced 50 handgunners. Their saying the "gunline" tactic is rather unfair. I will agree,the 3 hellcannons was beardy. From hearing people talk about them,i expected them to blow up after 2 barrels worth of firing(i still think i might have gotten the rules wrong. These things only misfire on the misfire result right? 3 chances to misfire,as there are 3 barrels). The game was a bit odd for me too. It was very fun to shoot like crazy,but my greatswords and EC and warrior preist did absolutely nothing at all. I dunno. If anyone can give me some advice to either tell me how to make a more fun army to play against,or what to tell my friends in the way of how to defeat it,it would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi there,

i thnk you got the main rules of the hellblaster right, it only fires the full number when within short range otherwise you have to half the number rolled. but yeah it is devastating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats not a cheesy army. Except maybe the 3 hellblasters...

Thats the good thing about fantasy, it pretty much forbids cheesy armies.

Aslo the reason they had troulble was probably becasue the 'board' you were using was really really big. Try to make it smaller next time (6ft by 6ft for that game would have been better)
    A Promise to a dead man means nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantasy forbids cheesy armies? ever heard of 8 ratling guns, 2 warp lightning cannons, 30 Jezzails and 12 nasty magic missiles in one turn. and most of the arm being Ld 10, Empire gunline, Tzeentch 23 powerdice 16 model armies, Chaos all chariot armies etc etc.
    The 3 Helblasters is the only thing i dont really like about it and in 3000 i would try to get another big infantry unit.

Closed Thread