Born again noob with questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Born again noob with questions

Hey All,

Its been so long since I played this game. Can't remember what edition it was but I remember my uncle played the "Undead Army" and fielded Nagash regularly....

Well after a long time away I am back. I've got that new box set with the Dorfs and Gobbos. Picked up a couple new Army books (Vampire Counts, Empire, Wood Elves, Orcs and Gobbos) and feel thoroughly lost lol. So I googled Warhammer fantasy forums and this place popped up. I have been here about a week trying to ascertain all the new info and new armies and I just really have alot of questions to ask.

1. Can armies still have allies? I haven't noticed anything about allies in that lil ass rulebook I got or any of my Army books.

2. I have figured out that we are on 7th edition now I believe. What Army books have been released for this edition so far?

3. In general...is the game played any differantly than I remember? When I played before it seemed the game was so character heavy...whoever had the biggest baddest character would win. I would always have to field a Khorne general on a dragon with the Helm of Atrazaar, Black Amulet and sword of Teclis so I could handle all my friends Vamps (and Nagash).

4. I know this question will get biased answers but.... What are the top armies or rather most fielded for tourneys and stuff. When I played before we didn't have Brets, Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings, Ogres.

5. Is Gotrex still around and still a bad ass? I'll never forget the time he actually got a charge somehow on my Blood Thirster and killed him before I could return any attacks.

6. ANy reason for me to get that hardback rulebook if I already have this pocketbook that cam in Skullfire? Other than maybe making it easier to read.

7. Is there anyplace online I can find stats for some of the new special characters I have never seen before like, Settra, Archaon, and Kroak

and last but not least....for now anyways.....

8. My friend plays Vampire Counts...and a little Chaos here and there. I was thinking about trying that new Tomb Kings army (i like the egypt theme) but wonder how an undead versus undead army would go so I been thinking maybe Lizardmen. Can TK or Lizzies handle VC or Chaos pretty well?

Ok well thanks for reading my post and thanks even more if ya reply. Take care

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Jferriell View Post
    1. Can armies still have allies?
    There are no core rules for 'allies', as such. I'm assuming you're talking about mixing units from different armies into one army? In which case, no, that's not allowed. You can take Dogs of War regiments (rules here) but that's all.

2. I have figured out that we are on 7th edition now I believe. What Army books have been released for this edition so far?
    Orcs & Goblins in October, and Empire in January.

3. In general...is the game played any differantly than I remember?
    It's nothing like you describe now, no.

4. I know this question will get biased answers but.... What are the top armies or rather most fielded for tourneys and stuff.
    Wood Elves, Dwarfs, Tomb Kings and Ogres consistently do well, but pretty much every army gets a look in.

5. Is Gotrex still around and still a bad ass?
    Nope to both, I'm afraid.

6. ANy reason for me to get that hardback rulebook if I already have this pocketbook that cam in Skullfire? Other than maybe making it easier to read.
    It has pretty pictures, painting and modelling sections, and a whole load of background material. There is also some gaming stuff, mostly relating to special scenarios. Depends if you want the optional extras or not.

7. Is there anyplace online I can find stats for some of the new special characters I have never seen before like, Settra, Archaon, and Kroak
    No legal or legitimate websites, no. All that stuff's protected by copyright laws.

8. My friend plays Vampire Counts...and a little Chaos here and there. I was thinking about trying that new Tomb Kings army (i like the egypt theme) but wonder how an undead versus undead army would go so I been thinking maybe Lizardmen. Can TK or Lizzies handle VC or Chaos pretty well?
    Well, I think this question deserves a whole thread to itself. You should probably post it on the Tomb Kings sub-forum.

Hope that helps, and welcome back to the game.

GS
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks....

Ok so if only the Gobbo's and Empire have 7th edition books then I guess it is a waste to buy any of the armies right now because there rules will change sometime?

Also is there any new proposed armies that arent posted here? I always had wished they did a Mongolian or Oriental type army...all with a new book and models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

400th post...wooo! :w00t:

Thanks....

Ok so if only the Gobbo's and Empire have 7th edition books then I guess it is a waste to buy any of the armies right now because there rules will change sometime?

Also is there any new proposed armies that arent posted here? I always had wished they did a Mongolian or Oriental type army...all with a new book and models.
    Well it will be several years until most armies get new books. From various rumours I can say that the next ones to be coming out will probably be High Elves (we know they're next), Vampire Counts, Dark Elves and Skaven. That will take us up to a couple of years in the future at least. So there's no real reason to avoid buying mst armies.

While lots of people would like to see brand new armies introduced, I think Games Workshop will probably be trying to make sure that all the other armies get a 7th edition book before they would consider introducing new armies, and if they did there's a good chance that it would be a reintroduction for the Chaos Dwarves, although there is a slim chance it could be Araby (since they recently got a Warmaster range).

I think I remember rightly that GW have stated that they will not be even considering doing Cathay or Nippon (I guess they said that because lots of people are pestering them to release those armies)so I doubt there will be anything oriental themed in the near future.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    GW have stated that they will not be even considering doing Cathay or Nippon
    I'm almost certain I read an interview with Gav Thorpe where he basically said this.

Here's something else to bear in mind. Most of the changes between the current edition and the previous were (relatively!) minor. There have been no major changes to the fundamental mechanics of the game, and barring one or two specific cases (examples include the Beastmen 'Raiders' rules, and Skaven Warlock Engineers' now redundant power dice, amongst a couple of other things) the special rules for most armies are unaffected.

The rules for Wood Elves, Dwarfs, Lizardmen and (I think) a couple of others have also been re-done within the last couple of years. Ogres are a relatively new innovation. Bretonnians and Chaos are both solid lists that work extremely well in 7th Edition. Dark Elves are as solid as they ever were. High Elves are next for an update, and Vampire Counts and Skaven are both due for one.

When all's said and done, the only army I would advise against is High Elves, and that's purely because they're being updated this year.

GS
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool thanks....

Well to me ALL the rules seem so different from way back in the day. Army lists aren't built on percentages, no more allies (sigh), magic seems WAYYY different now. For right now I'm just enjoying painting the pieces. Have alot of Vampire Counts to paint for my friend and still trying to decide on what I want my main army to be. Kind of a toss up between Tomb Kings, Brettonia, and Lizardmen right now. Brets and TK look like cool pieces to paint (of course along with Chaos) and Lizzies...well they got Kroak who just sounds so mean from what I've read lol.

I miss the Magic Compedium....was nice too have all the spells and magic items on lil cards already for ya.

+ Reply to Thread