Librarium Online Forums banner

Blood's Khador Blog

17K views 62 replies 9 participants last post by  Blood_Blade 
#1 · (Edited)
If all the horde players can do it I can too *kicks warjack*

Alright seeing as I'm now addicted to this game, and would like to see more activity in this part of the fourm, I'll just talk to myself until more people begin posting :drinking:

My first decision for this game was: 'what faction do I want to take?'

My answer: 'whichever one allows me to follow pg 5!'

And although all forces can dish out some seriouse pain, I just like my reds. More recently I've just hit 500 pts (and no longer have to borrow models from other people I play with). Currently my force employs:

Komm. Sorscha Kratikoff
Juggernaut
Destroyer
Kodiak
Widowmakers
Man-o-War Demolition Corps
Man-o-War Kovnik
Manhunter

I'll be building up my force to 750 pts... just as soon as I can get the needed expandable cash. In the meantime I'll fill you in on my latest defeat at 500 pts:

Enemy: Khador

Vladimir Tzepesci
Juggernaught
Marauder
Doomreavers
Manhunter
Iron Fang Uhlans

My: Khador

Komm. Sorscha Kratikoff
Juggernaut
Destroyer
Widowmakers
Mortar
Man-o-War Demolition Corps
Man-o-War Kovnik
Manhunter

(ok, I borrowed the mortar in this list)

He won the roll, and deployed first. Vlad was in the center, screened by the Juggernaught and Marauder. The Uhlans were placed in the far left corner. I deployed with the Sorscha in the center screened by the Juggernaught, the mortar in cover just to the right. Kovnik was jack marshaling the Destroyer and they were side-by-side slightly to the left.

He then deployed the Doomreavers as far forward as he could to the left, and the manhunter in the woods near the center of the board. I deployed my widowmakers to the left in cover (only 2" out of my deployment), and the manhunter to the right in the open.

Having first turn he ran the Juggernaught and Marauder forward and cast blood of kings on Vlad. The Doomreavers ran into combat with my Widowmakers but only making contact with one of my models, and the Manhunter charged my Manhunter (I miscalculated the distance). His Manhunter then proceeded to chop up my Manhunter (this is the only combat that is two twins fighting). The Iron Fang advanced behind the Doomreavers.

My turn involved the Mortar and Destroyrer missing there targets and doing no damage. The Juggernaut ran towards its twin. The Demo Corps moved towards the manhunter (I knew I couldn't get the charge, but I figured I should take him out soon). The three widowmakers not in combat moved out of cover and shot down 1 Doomreaver and the Doomreaver kommander. Sorscha windrushed behind the Juggernaught and cast Boundless Charge on the Juggernaught.

His turn involved inching his 'jacks forward (to stay out of my boundless charge range). The doomravers moved into combat and proceeded to chop up my widowmakers (killing one of there own in the process). His Manhunter charged my Demo Corps, killing one to my great displesure.

This time the Mortar killed one Doomreaver, and the Destroyer wiffed on his shot again. The Juggernaught hit the Doomreavers (as he had nothing else in range of his charge, and I didn't feel like being left within 3" of his two 'jacks. Unfortunatly, with no focus the Juggernaut wiffed on all it's attacks. The Demo Corps moved into combat with the Manhunter, used backswing, and crushed him. Sorscha walked forward, tempested his two 'jacks damaging the Juggernaut and knocking them both down. She then windrushed back out of the way.

His turn, Vlad spead away from the fallen jacks, casting Blood of Kings on himself. The Doomreavers moved so that two were hitting the Juggernaut, and one could get a hit on Kovnik (I should really anticipate these things). Fortunatly the Kovnik one wiffed its hit, and the Juggernaut took no serious damage. The Uhlans then charged in and demolished my Juggernaught. The Maruader got up and moved away from the juggernaut, towards the left.

Sorscha walked forwards, tempested the Juggernaut with no effect (other than knocking him down) and gave the Demo Corps Boundless Charge. The Demo Corps the charged the Juggernaut, using Ice Breaker, completly demolished the Juggernaut. Both Kovnic and the Destroyer moved into combat, killing the last of the Doomreavers, but doing no Damage to the Uhlans.

Vlad poped his feat, and moved in behind the Uhlans and cast Blood of Kings on himself. The Marauder then super-slamed Kovnik (with its massive charge range). Needless to say Kovnik turned into a fine paste before we could see where he landed. The Uhlans then crushed my Destroyer.

Sorscha walked forwards, and poped her feat so that all but one Uhlan was made stationary. She then windrushed over to get in range of Vlad and cast tempest and shot him doing a grand total of 5 damage (and knocking him down... hehe stationary and knocked down). The Mortar landed a hit on Vlad, doing 1 damage.

His turn involved Vlad sitting on all his focus and the Uhlans moving into the way so Sorscha couldn't get a second shot.

The Demo Corps arrived and smashed the Marauder. Sorscha moved and windrushed to get another shot at Vlad, but did no damage against his 23 armour!!!

His turn, the Iron Fang charged my Demo Corps and finished them off. Vlad got up and walked into combat with Sorscha.

My turn (and final fatal error). Sorscha windrushed out of combat with vlad to get a shot and a charge against him. Getting a free strike didn't worry me, but rolling 6's meant I was stationary, and that was pretty much it.

Vlad wailed on me until I crumbled :p

Moral of the story, don't get greedy, just wail on them in combat! Ok, first post and it's already become massive, I take no responsibility for spelling errors or inaccuracies in the recount as I have to go write an essay now :p. Thanks to all that held in there and read it to the end, I should have pics, or more likely maps for the next report.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great! I'm looking forward to eventually getting into WM as well. I was originally going to go with khador, but ultimately was drawn to the trollkin.

#3 ·
I really love my warmachine but feel that hordes just was a better system. It's like WM 2.0. The fury system is just a neat invention, and I might try converting over with my buddies to a hybrid system for WM, where you use focus like fury. I mean, I love a jack can attack 5 times with a full oad of focus, but a warbeast can attack 7 times. Transfers, and the synergy between casters and animus and all that really is cool.

That said, i love my trencher gun line, and how i can smoke any unit in the game with them. And with a lancer to back them up, my sword knights aren't half bad either. Just wish my jacks could stand up to the wholesale slaughter that is a warbeast.
-------------------------------

As to your Batrep, awesome! Gotta love close games. Only had the fortune to fight khador 2 times now, and that was awhile ago. Looking forward to getting more games in against them, we'll see.

we're having a food tourney for charity soon, and a warmachine tourney using stampede rules, both should be fun.

Gotta say, I just love the pace of WM/H more than 40k. Love my 40k, but found I only like playing vs a select few people.

Anyways, congrats on getting back into it, looking forward to hearing more about your army and battles in the future.

#4 ·
tarzen said:
I really love my warmachine but feel that hordes just was a better system. It's like WM 2.0. The fury system is just a neat invention, and I might try converting over with my buddies to a hybrid system for WM, where you use focus like fury.
Hordes may have a better system, but the reason I started is because I wanted a hulking steam powered Juggernaut (not jack specific, just the general idea) crushing my foes. Therefore my lists tend to be a bit jack heavy which is fine by me as I'm not *win Win WIN!!* all the time.

I think I may delve into hordes sometime when I have completed my Khador army (and painted at least 750 pts of them). But just between you and me I think I'll be going with Circle, purely on a model basis. I'm paying too much for models not to like them :p

#5 ·
Circle does indeed have some beautiful models. The warp wolves are awesome!
heh, I will probably be delving into WM in the near future in khador or (what's the blue guys again?)
or maybe even cryx. haven't decided yet. :D

#6 ·
Blues are cygnar-the gunner and lightning army
Khador, the reds-big and slow, hit like a ton of bricks
menite (protectorate) are the whites-zealots and infantry heavy usually with paladans and swordsmen, and FIRE!
Cryxx are usually black-speed, stealth, death, and souls

Trolls-Buffs, and 5+ they get knocked down instead of dying, hit hard.
Legion-grey/white-eyeless, great beasts and units, but no claws. Fast.
Skorne-red and gold-elephantsand military. Organized and mean.
Circle-green-druids and treehuggers. Very fast, ignore terrain, and hit and jab.
--------------

Yeah, I really like warmachine and hordes both, just surprised at how different they play.

I'm trying to get a bit more jack heavy in my lists, but it's soo hard when I have such awesome choices for troops.

I really need to work on my CC skills besides, I probably ought to play darius for the next month or so, see if I can learn to use them without too much ranged support.

#8 ·
Bloody red's!

Well, blood, i should be posting here a bit more in the next few weeks as we get more WM games in and put hordes aside until december. So don't feel too lonely.

#10 ·
I'm heading down to the local shop to pick up another 'caster, as the people in this gaming area seem very good at destroying Sorscha. I have three picks in my head for next caster to buy:

eButcher
Old Witch
Irusk

If they have all of them in stock I think I'll get Irusk as it will take a while to get used to the old witch, and eButcher can only be used in 750+ games, which I don't play all the time. The plan is to eventually pick up all three, and that will most likely make up my collection of casters. Now, I'll throw a question out their to get everyones opinion: out of these three, who do you think supports a 'jack heavy list the best?

As an aside, even though this is my Khador blog, I think I'll post my favorite PP model of all time here (as it supports my "Cricle has sweet a** models I drule over" theory). And the model is *drumroll* The Pureblood Warpwolf!

HERE'S the pic of it off the PP site. You can rotate it around, and my favorite view is the one from behind that shows off the head armour really well.

#11 ·
I honestly don't know the khador caster's that well, despite having about 700pts of the reds (part of an ebay auction (gone horribly wrong I swear)).

I've seen what the witch can do to infantry, but I'd have to go through my buddies books to check her stuff along with I's. Butcher is simply that-but from what I recall, does well with jacks or infantry, plays somewhat like a solo.

As for favorite model, I can't wait for the carnivean extreme, but until then, the thunderhead has it for me.

#13 ·
So I went down and picked up Irsuk, and got the following response from the local Khador expert when I enquired about his effectiveness with 'jacks:

"He's great with one, but once you give him two he begins to loose some of his awsomeness"

Which is fine by me as the Kodiak really doesn't count as a 'jack when giving them to warcasters (as it can take care of itself fairly well) and I can always give one to Kovnik if I really want 3. That aside I would only use him in under 750 pts battles as the Old Witch and eButcher seem like better choices for large teams of 'jacks.

Now to paint him up and crush my enemies!!!

++EDIT++
Acrydon said:
I say agian, Blood. Get away from Circle!
I'm gunna take this over to your Blog!

#14 ·
So I got another game in today, this one is another Khador vs Khador (my troops really like training exercises).

So, this time I took:

Irsuk
Destroyer
Kodiak
Widowmakers
Man-o-War Demolition Corps (3)
Man-o-War Kovnik
Manhunter

He was playing:

Komm. Sorscha Kratikoff
Destroyer
Devestator
Mortar
Assault Kommandos
Man-o-War Drakhun (with dismount)

The board wasn't anyting special, a building to my left, some trees to his right (all other terrain played no part in this battle).

He won first turn and set up on his side of the table. The Devestator and Destroyer were screening Sorscha in the middle with Drakhun up front. And the mortar was off to the slight left while the Kommandos were on the far left. I set up Irsuk in the middle screened by the Kodiak, Kovnik off to the slight left (not behind the building) with the Devestator to his right. The Demo Corps were deployed to Irsuk's right.

Since he had no advanced deployment I had free rain on this. My Widowmakers set up on the second floor of the building, while my Manhunter was hiding off to the right in woods.

Having first turn, he ran his two jacks and Drakhun forward, advanced the Kommandos, and shot the mortar at my Widowmakers, a lucky scatter killed one (damn mortar!). Scorscha stayed where she was.

I cast superiority on the Kodiak, and advanced it 6" forwards, Irsuk followed close behind (another 6") and cast Inhospitable Ground. The Demo Corps ran 8" straight forward. Kovnik and the Destroyer advanced 8" staying away from the building. The remaining 3 Widowmakers killed 3 Kommandos, including the officer. The manhunter ran 12" towards his table edge, staying behind the trees.

Drakhun advanced 7" into inhospitable ground, and the Destroyer and Devistator finaly caught up, on the fringe of my Inhospitatlity. Sorscha windrushed over beside the mortar and cast boundless charge on them. The mortar crew then proceeded to drag the mortar 9" forward (man thats fast). The remaining commandos attempted to shoot my Widowmakers (widowmakers, in cover!? give me a break) but killed non of their DEF 18 ness.

My turn opened with Irsuk upkeeping supremacy, and the widowmakers finishing off the Kommandos. The Kodiak and Irusk advanced another 6" forwards, making sure that Irsuk kept his Inhospitality up. Irsuk then cast Bloodlust on the Demo Corps who then proceeded to charge the Drakhun. 6 Backswings later I had not only un-horsed this mo-fo, I'd also killed him on foot. My Destroyer took aim and did something like 4 pts of damage to his Destroyer, while Kovnik advanced. The Manhunter ran out from behind the terrain, attempting a suicidal run at his caster/ mortoar crew (I'd relised that charging his 'jacks wasn't such a good idea, and all the squishy targets were on the other side of the board).

His turn opened with Sorscha having to advance to stay in range of her 'jacks, and then magiking my Manhunter to death (and just barely too). The Mortar took a pot shot at my Widowmakers, scattering off target (and hitting nothing). The Devestator advanced into Inhospitable Ground, and his devestator tried to return fire (to no avail).

My turn! Upkeep Supremacy, load up the Kodiak with 3 focus, Kodiak charges the Devestator, does no damage, but gets the Chain attack off. Now, me in my stupidity, I forgot Superiority gave me a boost to strength. I would have done some damage, but alas, I did nothing. Irsuk slid behind the Destroyer, and cast Bloody Lust on the Demo Corps. The Demo Corps then attempted to come to the Kodiaks rescue, however, they didn't do anything valuable. The Widowmakers killed the mortar krew, and avenged their fallen comrad! Kovnik and the Destoryer advanced, and did no damage.

His turn Sorscha gave both 'jacks 2 focus. His Devestator got up, and did the rain of death (stripping one arm off of my Kidiak, and doing some damage to my Demo Corps. The Destroyer then crushed my Demo Kaptin with its executioners axe. Sorscha then walked 6" and windrushed 6" towards my side, staying out of range of my Widowmakers.

My turn, upkeep supremacy, gave the Kodiak 3 focus, and the Kodiak killed the Devestator (with its one hand!). Irusk cast Blood Lust on the Demo Corps and stayed hidden. The Demo Corps then walked into combat with the Destroyer, and destroyed it.

His turn (looking grim). Scorscha walked 6" windrushed 6" and lined my army up, and poped her feet, freezing everything but the widowmakers. She then magiked 5 pts of damage onto Irsuk.

My turn, Widowmakers take pot shots at Sorscha, and Irsuk camps on 7 focus (22 ARM oh yeah!)

Sorscha then attempts to do the deed and kill Irusk personally, but something very similar to my last game happened (except it didn't suck for me as much). She was moving past my Destroyer, and went through combat with me, giving a free strike. Needing 6's I rolled two dice, and got 2 sixes! I then proceeded to do 11 damage to Sorscha, and then let her move on to my caster (who she failed to injure).

Irsuk decapitated Sorscha (but not before I rolled 2 6's when my Widowmakers sniped a wound off of her!). ZE END!

Woho! Second massive post of my blog and first recorded victory!

#16 ·
What would I do without you Camel, but most of my mistakes worked out for the better though:

Well I guess its a good thing I forgot Superiority didn't give me a strength bonus... as it didn't
The Widowmakers were nasty enough at 18 (nothing hit them except a scattering mortar)
Nope, I re-cast it each turn, could you imagine if it was an upkeep!

Hehe, my Demo Corps went through his 2 'jacks and Drakhun almost single handedly. I don't think he'll let them get into CC unmolested ever agin :p

#17 ·
well I mean come' on. If you had a name like demolition corps, you'd EXPECT to put out some damage. Wonder if he'd let death jack get in close with his caster;)

Congrats on the win Blood!

#18 ·
Hehe, well Tarzen, his Devestator devestated nothing, and his Destroyer only succeded in scratched some of the paint off of my Destroyer. Its not all in a name (although Demo Corps is a pretty sick name).

As an aside, I thought I'd link you all to another post of mine (gotta endorse myself) which includes a site that has helped a lot with the modeling side of PP miniatures: HERE

#21 ·
The Behemoth is definatly on the "Need to Buy" list, but I think I'll be picking up a Devastator first. It looks as cool (IMHO) and it has ARM 25!!! Rain of Death is also not too shabby!

Pics comming soon (like a week :p), but another battle report comming sooner. Any suggestions to the bat reps? Are they too wordy (should I cut them down to an explination a turn rather than his turn my turn ect). This is a give and take blog people!

#23 ·
ARM 25 as long as you don't attack. ;) The its shields are open and it takes a turn to close them again, leaving it open to attack with a measly ARM 17.

The Behemoth is very nice, but very expensive as well, both in points and cash. I'm not to fond of the pose (there's a .gif where the behemoth is dancing...) but I would just go with the comon approach and stuck a wrecked 'jack under the foot.

And saddly it isn't as though as it looks. ;_;

#24 ·
I figure it's about time to start posting some lists up here, showing the general direction(s) I'm thinking of going, as I'm NOT going to collect the entire range... no matter how much I want to!

List 1: Old Witch

747/750
VPs: 30

• Old Witch
    -Juggernaut
    -Devestator

• Man-O-War Kovnik
    -Kodiak

• 7 Iron Fang Pikemen
    • Iron Fang Officer and Standard Bearer

• 3 Man-O-War Demolition Corps

• Widowmakers

• Winterguard Mortar Crew

• Gorman Di Wulfe, Rouge Alchemist

This list is based around the Witch (because I love the model and the rules). Shooting will always be good, no matter where the enemy tries to hide! The widowmakers will slow down infantry units be assassinating their officers, forcing them to stay near their warcaster, or walk it across the board to me. The Mortar Crew does what they always do: miss. I have 3 'jacks 3! They all look sweet, and have their own jobs. Juggernaut: most straightforward 'jack we have, run 'em at the enemy! Kodiak, with Kovnik are my fast(er) unit, able to move through terrain and engage singular parts of the enemys force. The Devestator will be backing up the Juggernaut. All fire directed at him will bounce off, and a well placed rain of death will clear away pesky infantry units that would slow down my Juggie. The Iron Fang and Demo Corps will advance and kill :p Gorman will lay down cover for the witch and scrapjack so that they can stealth, and teleport.

List 2: 750 Irusk

738/750
VPs: 25

• Irusk
    -Behemoth

• Manhunter

• Doom Reavers

• Greylord Triunion

• 10 Iron Fang Pikemen
    • Iron Fang Officer and Standard Bearer

• 5 Man-O-War Demolition Corps

• Widowmakers

• Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios

This ones fairly straight forward. Behemoth gets superiority, duh, and Irusk casts Inhospitable Ground every turn (that makes sence, if everythings in combat... no point). The rest of the list will do its thing, and when I pop Irusk's feat it'll be hell for the oponent with all the infantry I'm fielding. Eiryss goes for the stealth kill.

List 3: 750 eButcher

744/750
VPs: 28

• eButcher
    -Devestator
    -Juggernaut

• Man-O-War Kovnik
    -Kodiak

• Manhunter

• Doom Reavers

• Greylord Triunion

• 4 Man-O-War Demolition Corps

• Widowmakers

Run 'em forward and chop 'em up!

So out of the three lists what do you guys think?

#41 ·
My critiques.

List 1:

The Old Witch is not a 'jack caster. Essentially the ONLY thing you want to benefit from is Augury, which makes having a Destroyer or a Behemoth crucial. I like to use a Behemoth because he gets TWO bombard shots. Enemy stealthed units? No problem.

I really feel like having more than one 'jack in her army is more of a detriment. She's an assassin caster, and she needs SUPPORT in the form of core units. I've found that although Demo Corp are tough as nails, they are still mortal if they opponent focuses fire on them. Personally I would take at LEAST one full unit. I prefer two (in all my armies), but that is just my preference.

Iron Fang Pikemen and Uhlans are also amazing with her. You can cast Weald Secrets on any of them, making them pathfinders. IMO, drop the Kodiak and Kovnik for sure, and beef up your IFP to a full 10+UA, and your Demo Corp to a 5 man squad. Keep the Devastator if you want, it's very focus efficient and I can see good uses for her. Swap out that jack for troops depending on the enemy you're facing.

List 2:

Sold list. IMHO, Mortars are only worth it if you take them in 2's. None or two. If you don't have a second mortar it's fine, but if you do, drop Eiryss. She is useful, but Irusk is one of our casters that has the least amount of synergy with her.

List 3:

Again, too 'jack heavy. The Butcher is very much a finesse 'caster, and he loves to horde focus in order to survive enemy fire and get into melee range. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe rage drives only effect friendly Khadoran warjacks IN HIS BATTLEGROUP. Which means your marshalled Kodiak doesn't really benefit. Furthermore, although the Kodiak is an awesome 'jack (my favorite), but I don't like him with eButcher as much as some of the other casters. I would keep the Devastator and Juggernaut, drop Kovnik/Kodiak, and beef up the size of the MoW to full, and at 10 IFP+UA. The Butcher is tough as nails, but just like in Prime, he NEEDS support units as a delivery system. He is VERY strong with warjacks, and my favorite is to take 2-3 Berserkers (because they are dirt cheap, only 84pts), and the rest infantry of Doom Reavers, IFP, Demo Corp, all the good stuff. Berserkers fit this role perfectly because they are cheap, do a CRAPLOAD of damage, and gets the increased MAT and such from his abilities.

Other good 'jacks include the Spriggan, and the Behemoth is good with EVERYBODY (he's just expensive).

On that note, good luck and have fun. Oh, and remember to try out the Drakuhn. He is worth every single point.

#25 ·
I havn't played any 750pts games, so I'm not very well-versed in synergy at those levels.

1st list.
Looks nice. Lots of 'jakcs and cool models. I'm not too sure about the demos in such small numbers. Should be 4 or 5 IMO. You could drop them, take a GL Ternion and ad another to the IFPs. Blizzarding your own models after they have moved is always a good move.

2nd list.
One (awesome) 'jack! Bah!
This is probably your strongest list, but I don't like teh lck of 'Jacks. But I think this one would work very well.

3rd list.
I like this list. eButcher is fun and I think this list could be a lot of fun.

#26 ·
Alright, I had a bad feeling about this game from the get-go, as he took a look at my forces, and then threw together his list. Anyways heres the jist of the game:

My force

Irusk
-Kodiak
Man-O-War Kovnik
-Juggernaut
Manhunter
Widowmakers
3 Man-O-War Demo Corps

His force

High Reclaimer
-Devout
-Guardian
Full Choir
6 Temple Flameguard
8 Holy Zealots
-Monolith Bearer
Knights Exemplar
Exemplar Seneschal

The basics of this game was, I'd cast Inhospitable Ground, and he'd throw 4+ smoke clouds a turn, with no one charging. I finaly moved in for a kill when his zealots got too close and started firebombing me. Once I moved, I disabled both his jacks, killed most of the Zealots and had a stranglehold on the Exemplars. Then the reclaimer pops his feat, the 6 Zealots come back from the dead, and then proceed to firebomb Irusk to death (as my kodiak had been downed, and the Juggernaut was without Kovnik)

I really felt like this wasn't a 'learning game' like the ones I've beed trieing to get in. It was a 'watch me as my tailored list stomps you into the ground' I think I'm going to have a little chat with this guy (because hes a good guy, and I wasn't expecting this from him). Anyways, I'll count this as a defeat, even though it didn't really feal like a game. C&C welcome.

#27 ·
Yay! Double posting :p

Alright, so I made it home this weekend and decided to get some pics of my 'jacks and furthest along Warmachine WIP's (all my warmachine is WIP). So here's my Juggernaut, Kodiak, Sorscha and Irusk:

This would be my furthest along Warmachine model (although the paint scheme is anything but inspiring). All that's left is figureing how I want to base these guys, and maybe some painting touch-ups here and there.

I really liked painting the different colours (ie less red than the Juggernaut). Whats left here is the lower legs (mettalic and grey) and the basing which is a re-occuring theme in my army.

Does she have a tan? NO! I wasn't pleased with the skin tones and decided to re-do them. However, that means you get to see a fleshy brown ink face. Other than that, were back to basing...

Irusk, gotta love the man with the iron fist! I've got quite the ways to go with this man, but I really liked the way his skin came out and decided to put him up here. Irusk doesn't even have basing material down, making him dead last in my WIP section.

So what do you guys (as I don't think we have any girl Warmachine/ Hordes players frequenting here, although I may be wrong) think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.