Librarium Online Forums banner

Seeing Red - Another Khador Log

11K views 47 replies 7 participants last post by  xbanditsx 
#1 ·
I've finally gotten around to starting this game

I went down to the store yesterday and met up with a PP Press Ganger who offered to show me the ropes. He introduced me to three other players at the club and they decided that it would be fun to do a large, 3 vs. 2 player Mk2 game.

I was on the team of three and we were all playing 35 point Khador lists. The other team was 52 points of Cryx and a split 53 points between Gorten and Magnus.

My list was:

pSorscha
+Juggernaut
Koldun Lord
+Destroyer
5 Demo Corps
Greylords
Widowmakers
Mortar

I deployed on the right hand side. Our middle was anchored by pVlad with Behemoth, Beast-09, Widowmakers, and a large Winterguard unit with UA, Kovnick Joe, and several Rocketeers. Our left flank had pButcher, two Kodiaks, a Spriggan, Widowmakers, and a similarly large Winterguard unit.

Across from me was the Cryx - pDenegrah with 4 bonejacks and Deathjack, Tartarus and Bane Thralls, Mechani-Thralls, two units of Bile Thralls, and two Pistol Wraiths. In the middle was Gorten with several 'jacks, a unit of dwarfs with hammers, and a unit with shields. The far side was Magnus with a bunch of 'jacks.

The first two turns were pretty uneventful - Deathjack and Behemoth killed each other in the middle and the Widowmakers killed some infantry.

On my third turn I feated with Sorscha and froze a large portion of the Cryx. My army then mopped them up and I was feeling pretty good about myself until the Cryx player told me that he was going to kill Sorscha next turn.

Gorten used Landslide and Denegrah feated. Denegrah then arced Venom and Gorten's 'jacks shot me but in the end, Sorscha was still standing with two boxes left. She cast Tempest next turn on Gorten and Denegrah, which allowed a ton of Winterguard to kill both of them. On the far side the other Winterguard unit killed Magnus, so we ended up with the win!

I've still got a lot to learn but it was fun and I'll be heading back next weekend. They're having a 35 point Mk2 tournament on December 5th that I'm thinking about going to. I'm thinking about bringing the following list and I'd love some feedback or thoughts. The models I own are in red and I'd like to use as many of them as possible:

pSorscha
+Kodiak
Koldun Lord
+Destroyer
5 Demo Corps (I actually only own 3 of these, but I can get two more)
Greylords
Widowmakers

Kell
Manhunter

Thanks for stopping by!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Iron Kingdoms! (and to the greatest faction I might add ;))

Sounds like you had a fun first game, always good to hear of a Khador win. 100 pts seems like the time for 3 'casters, I really hope PP changes their ruling on that (although players can do what they want).

Your list looks solid, I only have a few personal changes for the list, so take what follows with a grain of salt:

As one Khadoran Kommander to another, I'd put the Destroyer on Sorscha. The Koldun Lord can give him 1 focus from Power Booster, and on feat turn, Sorscha can give him 2 focus if he really needs it (boost hit and damage is killer with him).

I really like the Kodiak in Mk II. Try to pull off the chain attack and 2 handed throw an enemy jack outside of their control area. This'll make sure that they can't stand the 'jack up easily, and will help neutralise him longer (unless, of course, you already knew this). Top ways of guaranteeing the chain attack is dropping a couple of Ice Cages on the target (you don't need to hit with all 3, lowing a def by 2 or 4 is still a huge buff and enough to land 3 hits on a 'jack)

Seeing the Demo Corps makes me happy and pains me. I really feel that Shocktroopers are the better MoW in mk II, and would provide an ideal bunker for Sorscha. If your group lets you proxy I'd suggest giving them a shot at least once.

Although I've said all this, remember to just play what you like, Khador is an amazingly balanced faction so you should play with the models that you like!

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and all the information. I have some questions though:

As one Khadoran Kommander to another, I'd put the Destroyer on Sorscha. The Koldun Lord can give him 1 focus from Power Booster, and on feat turn, Sorscha can give him 2 focus if he really needs it (boost hit and damage is killer with him).
This may be me misunderstanding the Mk2 rules, but I thought that because he was a 'jack marshal, the Koldun Lord could always let a 'jack he was controlling boost an attack or damage roll. Combined with the Power Booster ability he would be able to let the Destroyer boost to hit and boost the damage. Did I misread or misinterpret that?

My main motivation for giving the Destroyer to a 'jack marshal is because I'm a little nervous running Sorscha with more than one 'jack, but I really want to run at least two (they're why I got into the game after all). She's currently using a Juggernaut but the Kodiak will be swapped in as soon as I get him built. The free running will get me a little more savings in the FOC department and the model itself has a nice look to it.

Seeing the Demo Corps makes me happy and pains me. I really feel that Shocktroopers are the better MoW in mk II, and would provide an ideal bunker for Sorscha. If your group lets you proxy I'd suggest giving them a shot at least once.
I've heard this too but I like the Demo Corps models so much more than the Shocktrooper ones. I'll probably give them a try but unless the difference is earth shattering I'll probably stick with my ice mauls.

If I were going to swap the Demo Corp out for another infantry unit I'd probably go with Iron Fangs for the extra bodies.

In other news, have you seen the new Strakhov model? That gun looks like a lot of fun!

#5 · (Edited)
Played two games today.

The second (it was quick so I'll type it up first) was a battle box game against Gorten. He went first and ran everyone forward. I did the same in my turn. He ran two Gunners down my right flank and kept the Driller and the other gunner near Gorten. I used Boundless Charge on my Destroyer and caught both flanking Gunners in melee, doing a lot of damage to both. Sorscha and the Destroyer walked forward.

the end of my last turn, right before Gorten feats

I thought Sorscha was safe behind the Juggernaut but I was quite wrong. Gorten moved off to one side, feated, and pulled both models six inches toward him. The combined damage from Gorten's gun, the Gunner, and a Driller loaded with focus was quite enough to kill Sorscha and I lost.

I'm not really sure how to avoid this if I end up playing this game again. Gorten has a good threat range on his feat and I don't think I can every get a good jump on him. I thought about using Wind Rush and Tempest to knock him down, but he can spend the focus to stand and then I'm in the same position. I also can't really stay away because he can upkeep his spell that prevents me from using my AOEs to damage him.

The first game was 35 points against the same Merc player. He used Durgen with two Drillers, two Gunners, a unit of Steelhead Halberdiers, a unit of Forgeguard, Reinholt, the Piper, Rockbottom, and Thor. There may have been another solo but I'm not sure. I had first turn and used the list in my last post.

On the right hand side the Demo Corps took a few casualties dealing with the Steelheads and a few Forgeguard. On the left, my Manhunter tied up and nearly killed a Gunner. He didn't kill his points back but ended up occupying about six points worth of models so I think his solo run down that side was a success.

The middle was where the action was. The Koldun and Destroyer dropped a few boosted Bombards on the leading Driller before the Kodiak nearly killed it before double-handed-throwing it into Durgen. The Greylords were mostly putting Blizzard on my models. Kell and the Widowmakers killed a few Steelheads and knocked some boxes from a few 'jacks.

right after the Kodiak threw the Driller into Durgen (the Kodiak is the armless model standing alone in the middle)

I ended up winning this game. The second Driller and the Forgeguard wrecked my Kodiak but left Durgen open. Sorscha feated, freezing him, all four 'jacks, and most of the Forgeguard. Sorscha hit Durgen with a boosted hand cannon shot and the Destroyer dropped a boosted Bombard. The remaining two Widowmakers left Durgen with only two boxes and my only remaining Greylord used his spray to seal the deal.

I actually didn't see this at all and wouldn't have done it had my opponent not said something about it so I can't really call this a win for me. Still have a lot to learn. Sorry for the blurry photos, they were taken with my phone.

#6 ·
Looks like a good game! (loves the pictures :p) Sorscha's feat is nasty... especially coupled with KD. You can take advantage of it even more if you bring Mortars, as rat 3 isn't bad when your opponent is stationary.

Looking forward to more reports!

#9 ·
I had another game last night. It was a 3 player game against Skorne and Circle, 35 points for everyone.

I was playing the only list I have:

pSorscha
Kodiak
Koldun Lord
Destroyer
5 Demo Corps
Greylords
Widowmakers
Kell
Manhunter

The Skorne player had:
Xerxis
Titan Cannoneer
Molik Karn
Void Spirit
Tyrant Rhadeim
Praetorian Swordsmen + UA

The Circle player had:
Mohsar
Argus
Gorax
Woldwarden
Warpwolf
Lord of the Feast
War Wolf
Shifting Stones
Wolves of Orboros + UA

This was a weird set up for a game because everyone wanted to avoid the initial combat so they could mop up and win. The order of turns was Circle, Khador, Skorne.

The Wolves and Woldwarden ended up meeting the Swordsmen and Cannoneer in the middle while most everything else shaded towards my side of the board without actually engaging me.

In the early turns I had my Manhunter tear up the Lord of the Feast while Rhadeim got into my Widowmakers before being splattered by the Demo Corps. On turn three I got a bombard shot onto Mohsar and the Skorne player finished him in his turn.

I charged my Demo Corp at Karn and did a fair amount of damage but didn't kill him. On his next turn, Xerxis cleared out two or three Demo Corps to open up a charge lane to Sorscha for Karn, but Karn failed the charge.

On my turn I charge Sorscha at Xerxis and feated. Three attacks later he was at one health and my Greylords came in and finished the job.

Multiplayer games are a tough way to learn about my army for 1 v 1 games, but I think I learned more about potential game winning situations - both ones for me to look for to win and ones for me to try to avoid for a loss.

This weekend I'm playing in my first tournament, so look for some more reports about that.

#10 ·
This weekend I played in my first tournament. It was a 35 point, MkII, two list tournament and there were 12 people who showed up. I only brought one list because I only have enough models for one.

pSorscha
Kodiak
Koldun Lord
Destroyer
5 Demo Corps
Widowmakers
Greylords
Kell Bailoch
Manhunter

The local Press Gangers were trying out some new scenarios and we used them in the games.

Kill Box:
A 24" x 24" box was centered in the middle. Starting on turn 3, if your 'caster wasn't in the kill box you lost automatically. Anyone getting a 'caster kill won. In the event of time being called, whoever had their 'caster closest to the middle of the board won.

No Man's Land:
A 6" strip across the middle of the board is the No Man's Land. At the end of the second player's third turn, if anyone had controlled the area they were awarded a control point. Anyone with two control points or a 'caster kill won. In the event of time the first tie breaker was whoever had the most unit leaders in the area, and the second tie breaker was whoever had their 'caster closest to the enemy deployment zone.

Mosh Pit:
A 12" circle was centered on the middle of the board. The same control point and 'caster kill win rules were in effect from No Man's Land. If time was called, whoever had a 'jack closest to the middle of the board won.

Game 1
Legion
Kill Box

pThagrosh
Harrier
Nephilim
Carnivean
Shredder
5 Warmongers
3 Raptors
2 Warmonger War Chiefs

I didn't know anything about this army when it appeared across from me. I figured that the Demo Corps could play with the Warmongers in the middle and I hoped that the Widowmakers and Kell could take on the Raptors coming down my right flank. The Manhunter, Destroyer, and Koldun Lord took the left side and Sorsha and the Koiak lined up between them and the Demo Corps.

No one wanted to be the one getting charged so we played movement games early on. I used Sorscha's feat on my second turn to freeze his Warmongers and Chiefs in a big line with Thagrosh stuck behind. The Demo Corps failed a charge to get at them, but since they couldn't move next turn I was safe and did a bunch of damage on my next turn.

The Widowmakers and Kell killed two Raptors before getting the third to flee, and spent most of the rest of the game sniping the Carnivean and Thagrosh. The Destroyer and Koldun pair did some good work on the left side dropping bombards around, but Thagrosh kept moving the damage around to his beasts.

In the end, despite having a better position on the board, I lost. Time was running out and Thagrosh was closer to the middle than Sorscha was. He was going to have the last turn, so I had to move Sorscha closer, which would have left me out in the open and easy prey for Thagrosh. I tried a wild assassination but failed big time and got dead for my troubles on his next turn.

Game 2
Khador
No Man's Land

pButcher
Marauder
Juggernaut
Kodiak
Windergurad with 3 Rocketeers and UA
Kovnik Joe
Widowmakers
Kell Bailoch
Alten Ashley

I put the Demo Corps and Sorscha + Kodiak in the middle, Widowmakers on the right, and Koldun Lord + Destroyer on the left. The Widowmakers took a beating early from Alten Ashley and some Winterguard Rocketeers. Butcher's feat turn was even worse for me as I lost 4 Demo Corp and most of the Kodiak.

I was in a pretty tough spot facing three 'jacks and an army of Winterguard without my heavy hitters so I took a long shot and tried to kill Butcher because I was going to get killed next turn. Sorscha used Wind Rush to move up 6", feated to freeze Butcher, and then cast Boundless Charge to charge him. I needed to do 20 damage and only had two focus left so it was pretty long odds. I did 10 on the charge attack, bought a second attack, hit, and boosted the damage but only did 5.

I thought I was dead, but time was called right then. Neither of us had any control points, we each had a single unit leader in the No Man's Land, but Sorscha was deep in enemy territory so I won!

The highlight of the game, which I thought was a turning point in my favor but ended up not mattering, came on my second turn. I charged my Kodiak into his Juggernaut and used Grab and Smash to do a double handed throw. His Winterguard UA was nearby so I pitched the Juggernaut into them and killed both.

Game 3
Khador
Mosh Pit

pButcher
2 Kodiaks
Juggernaut
Doom Reavers
Widowmakers
6 Kossite Woodsmen
War Dog
Ogrun Bokur

The Mosh Pit had a big forest in the middle of it, which made LOS and charge lanes tough for me to figure out. Long story short, his Juggernaut and Doom Reavers got the jump on my Kodiak and Demo Corps. I really didn't stand a chance against his three 'jacks with just my Destroyer and he won on control points when he threw my Destroyer out of the Mosh Pit.

In the end, I only had one bad game (number three) and even managed to squeak out a win! I think playing these games (as opposed to the multi-player ones) really helped me to get a sense for my units and the army as a whole.

I probably won't be making any changes to the list for a few weeks, but I'm currently thinking about this change.

Drop the Demo Corps and Kell (11 points)
Add the Greatbears, Drakhun, and a War Dog.

Thoughts on those changes?

#12 ·
There were, from memory:

3 Khador players
3 Mercs players
2 Legion players
2 Circle players
1 Cryx player
1 Troll player

It was a bit of bad luck to end up playing both Khador players. I wasn't supposed to play the second Khador guy in the last round. They were scheduled to play each other but since they're both locals and play each other a ton the TO switched it up.

At this point I think I'm still in a place where I just need to be rolling dice to get a feel for the game. After a dozen or so games I think I'll be in a place where I want diverse opponents.

You should totally give this game a shot. I've found myself really enjoying playing the game and thinking about what I want to do in my upcoming games.

#13 ·
My club also has a lot of Khador players, 7 I think, but I am the only one who comes out regularly... so we often only have 2-3 come game night. Its different at every club, my university gaming club has a lot of Cygnar players and only one Khador player for example.

Anyways, looks like some good games. Khador v. Khador is nice sometimes as it allows you to focus on combat and not worry about pesky debuff spells and long range shenanigans.

#14 ·
Anyways, looks like some good games. Khador v. Khador is nice sometimes as it allows you to focus on combat and not worry about pesky debuff spells and long range shenanigans.
That's what I was hoping, but Widowmakers + Kell + Alten Ashely and a tricked out Winterguard unit with Rocketeers, UA, and Kovnik Joe really suprised me with the amount of firepower it had!

I'm going to try to get a game or two in this weekend and hopefully it won't be against Khador.

#15 ·
I got in another three games this weekend against some Hordes armies. First was 35 points against Legion.

Rhyas
4 Shredders
Teraph
2 units of Blighted Swordsmen, one with Abbot and Champion
3 Raptors
Shepard
Strider Deathstalker

I was not prepared to deal with 20 SDP 6 (SPD 7 with Dash), DEF 14, Weaponmasters in this game. My opponent spread them out in a wide front with two or three ranks and then ran them straight at me.

His Deathstalker was able to shoot two Widowmakers early on which hampered my ability to thin his ranks, although I did kill it right away with Boundless Charge on my Manhunter. I used Sorscha's feat early on to freeze about half of the Swordsmen and the Raptors to give me a turn to kill a few Swordsmen and figure out what I was going to do.

I used one MoW and the Destroyer to kill two Raptors while the other four MoW, Widowmakers, and Kell started to work on the Swordsmen. Sorscha's feat kept everyone pretty safe but on his turn his Teraph managed to kill my Koldun Lord and a few of the Swordsmen who weren't frozen took out a MoW.

I thought I had a good shot at killing Rhyas but after missing with the Destroyer and all three Greylord sprays I opted not to commit Sorscha and backed off.

Rhyas feated and after a lot of dice were thrown I had lost all three Greylords and the remaining four MoW. Rhyas ended her turn incorporeal and my opponent left her hanging out alone and within charge range of Sorscha. He seemed to be aware that Sorscha had a magical weapon and it didn't seem to concern him. I charged her with a six focus Sorscha, got a critical freeze on the first hit, and bought attacks until Rhyas was dead.

The biggest problem for me in this game was dealing with all of those infantry. They were tough to hit with DEF 14, were really able to close the distance to me with their effective SPD 7 and a 10" threat range, and were able to hit hard with Weaponmaster. Fortunately they had paper armour but I was missing them with about half of my attacks a turn.

I retrospect, I could have killed Ryhas the first time if I had used Sorscha first to knock her down, although that would have been tough since I had already used my feat and Rhyas has DEF 16 to my FOC 6.

The next two games were slightly modified battle box games against Skorne. I was playing Sorscha, Kodiak, and Destroyer (12 points).

Morghoul
Titan Bronzeback
2 Cyclops Savages
15 points

This game started off very poorly for me because I didn't realize what Admonition could do. I managed to sneak off a charge on one of the Savages using Kodiak and Boundless Charge, only to have the Savage jump away when I got there. I expected the Kodiak to get boxed and leave me a 'jack down without having done any damage to him, but the Savage and Bronzeback were unable to take it down.

Sorscha used Tempest to freeze both Savages and her and the Destroyer put some damage on one of them. On of the Savages had Abuse cast on it and caught Sorscha in a charge but couldn't kill her. Morghoul moved in and feated, hoping to stall Sorscha for another turn.

I gave my Destroyer two focus and had Sorscha feat, catching the Savage engaging her and Morghoul. Since the Savage couldn't hit her with free strikes anymore, Sorscha moved away and hit Morghoul with a boosted hand cannon shot and a boosted Razor Wind spell. The Destroyer killed Morghoul with a boosted bombard shot.

Morghoul
Titan Gladiator
2 Cyclops Savages
13 points

Since these games go quickly we just set up again. The Skorne player took out the Bronzeback and added a Gladiator.

I started a little more conservatively after the early mistake I made last game, but I made another one this game in forgetting that Abuse gives +2" of movement. Sorscha got charged by a Savage and left with two points of health, while a second Savage moved up quite close.

My Destroyer charged the Savage engaging Sorscha but it had Admonition on it and jumped away. I hoped to have the Kodiak use Grab and Smash to throw the other Savage into the jumping one, but he missed his attack roll and I couldn't pull it off. I don't know why I didn't use Sorscha's feat defensibly here.

On his turn, the Skorne player had the Gladiator slam my Destroyer over Sorscha and kill her.

#16 ·
It's always a lot of fun to read these battle reports. I was particularly interested in the Rhyas battle; she's by far my favourite Hordes warlock, and the reason that if I started Hordes I'd be very, very tempted to play Legion (as opposed to my other choice, Trollbloods). With the exception of the Swordsmen, your opponent used a lot of different units than I would have, but I don't know much about the game so I'm not sure how my preferred units would have fared.

#17 ·
With the UA the Swordsmen are really scary. They move very quickly (especially with Rhyas's spell) and hit hard with Weaponmaster. I was also really surprised at how tough it was for me to hit them. I was hoping my Widowmakers and Kell would be able to get through them quickly but it didn't work out.

The guy told me he was still figuring out the MkII cards so his army was not the one he liked from MkI. What other units are you looking at?

#18 ·
The list I was considering a while back was something like...

-Rhyas
--- Angelius
--- Nephilim Soldier
--- Raek
- Blighted Swordsmen
- Blighted Swordsmen
- Blighted Legionnaires
- Incubi

I'm not 100% positive on how the setup was exactly, but this was before the UA and some of the other beasts were released. I just really like the dark elf / samurai feel of the list, it'd be my preferred run with Rhyas, though some of the other warlocks and beasts look tasty too.

#19 ·
Got in my last two games of 2009 yesterday, both against Hordes armies.

Kromac
Warpwolf
Warpwolf
Gorax
Druids of Orboros and Overseer
Lord of the Feast
Blackclad Wayfarer
Tharn Ravager Whitemane

Early on my Widowmakers ended up in melee with a few Druids. They managed to hamstring the unit for the whole game since no one could kill the other. I used Sorscha's feat to freeze both Warpwolves after they wrecked my Kodiak. The Destroyer took out one while Sorscha and the Demo Corps took out the second.

Kromac came in and killed most of what was left of my army. He was in the open close to Sorscha and I wasn't going to be able to win if I didn't kill him that turn. I tried to kill the Gorax so Kromac couldn't transfer damage to it but the Destroyer had a damaged axe arm and couldn't get it done.

Sorscha charged Kromac with sic focus, boosted the first attack, and got a critical freeze. The charge did 10 damage which Kromac transferred to the Gorax, killing it. Sorscha used the remaining 5 focus to buy three more attacks, boosting the damage on two. I rolled very well and ended up killing Kromac!

Hexeris
Titan Gladiator
Titan Bronzeback
6 Cataphract Arcuarii
10 Immortals
Paingivers

I had a good first two turns with my Widowmakers + Kell killing 6 Immortals and 2 Arcuarii and the Demo Corps finishing the other 4 Immortals. However, I completely misjudged the slam distance of the Bronzeback with Rush.

Sorscha was hiding behind her Kodiak which got slammed right over her. The Bronzeback followed up with three auto-hitting attacks in melee which saw Sorscha get squished very quickly.

This is now the second time I've been caught out by tricky Skorne slams from misjudging distances. This time I had remembered to keep Sorscha out of the Bronzeback's charge range, but the Kodiak was too far up and I didn't remember about the slam threat.

#20 ·
Sounds like a very close game played against the circle opponent (although I'm not a fan of running 2 identical beasts under 1 warlock). Hexeris is a tricky 'lock, and although the scorne player got lucky with the Bronzback slam, there are a lot of other tricks he has up his sleeve. Beware the Hordes reds... they may be the same colour as us, but they do not know true Khador honour.

#21 ·
The Skorne have been the biggest problem for me. I've had decent success against Khador, Mercs, Legion, and Circle but the Skorne player always seems to get me.

For my Christmas present to myself I bought a few models. A Spriggan, a second Kodiak, pIrusk (old scuplt), pButcher (old sculpt), Zerkova, a Drakhun, and Orin Midwinter. I've been toying with the following Butcher list:

pButcher
Kodiak
Kodiak
Spriggan
5 Demo Corps
Manhunter
Kell
Orin

Obviously I'm going to be looking to get some good killing with the three 'jacks + Full Throttle + Butcher's feat. The Demo Corps are in there to give me some more solid beatsticks and to help screen Butcher. Kell and Orin both have magic or magic weapons and should help clear out infantry and pesky incorporeal things. Orin also has some anti-magic going on to be annoying. The Manhunter is just fun.

Thoughts on this list?

#22 ·
I got in some small point games over the holidays with my old room mate. He had heard my talking about the game and went out and bought Siege, a Defender, and the Thunderhead. I was playing with Sorscha, a Kodiak, a Destroyer, and Widowmakers.

The Reds!

The Blues!

The first game I got squished by a Lightning Coil shot on Siege's feat turn. I wasn't very familiar with Siege or the Thunderhead so he caught me out. I won the next three by pulling off a Windrush + feat + charge with Sorscha. I would have done it a fourth time but I rolled poorly for my damage and left Siege with two health boxes. He and the Thunderhead killed Sorscha next turn.

I'm hoping that my models arrive in the mail this week so I can test out my Butcher list on Saturday.

Also, I took some new photos of my models this past weekend when I was snowed in. You can find them here.

#24 ·
Thanks! I've got another photo for today!

I played in a 2v2 game this weekend. I was teamed up with a Merc player using Durgen, several Gunners, Highshields, Forge Guard, Long Gunners, Steelheads, Alexia, and some other stuff. I was using my normal 35 point Sorscha list, which was fully painted (hooray!).

We were matched up against a Legion player using Thagrosh and a ton of infantry and a Circle player using Kromac, 2 Warpwolves, a Gorax, Tharn Ravagers + UA, Whitemane, and Lord of the Feast.

For the most part it was me vs. the Circle and the Mercs vs. Legion. The Lord of the Feast went to the other side to play with the Steelheads and I got some assistance from the Long Gunners.

I was pretty concerned about the Circle list. His Ravagers were faster than my Man-O-War and his Warpwolves were faster than my 'jacks and I didn't think I could hit effectively. His Warpwolves chewed through my Demo Corps and the Ravagers took out my Widowmakers and Greylords. I made some poor movement choices and stranded my 'jacks on the right flank and out of the fight early. Eventually I was able to kill the Gorax and both Warpwolves but was getting overwhelmed by the Tharn, Whitemane, and Kromac because all I had left were the two 'jacks, Kell, and Sorscha.

In the end I moved my Kodiak out of combat with Kromac, who killed it with a free strike, to open up a charge lane for Sorscha. I got a lucky critical freeze and some good damage rolls that killed Kromac, but overall my team lost the game.

Here's a photo of the Circle crashing into my lines. The Widowmakers on the left held out for a time but were mostly useless, and the Warpwolves tore up the center. My 'jacks are off to the right side of the photo, out of the battle for another turn.

#25 ·
I got a game in today with my Butcher list against an eHaley list. The guy I played hasn't played any MkII yet but the store regulars were in agreement that he was a very talented MkI player and he took me apart. His army was very well painted but I wasn't able to get any pictures.

pButcher
+Spriggan
+Kodiak
+Kodiak
Great Bears
Widowmakers
Kell Bailoch
Orin Midwinter
Manhunter

eHaley
+Squire
+Lancer
+Defender
+Ironclad
Gun Mages + UA
6 Trenchers
Gun Mage Captain Adept

He had first turn and moved stuff forward with the Trenchers up front popping smoke and Haley casting Deceleration.

I ran my three 'jacks up with Butcher behind them. I put Fury on one of the Kodiaks and Iron Flesh on the Great Bears, who came up behind the 'jacks. The Widowmakers and Kell killed the GMCA and 4 Trenchers, causing the Trenchers to run. My Manhunter run way down my right flank, hoping to come into the side of the Cygnar.

He advanced Haley and with the extra 2" control from the Squire, caught my entire army minus the Widowmakers and the Manhunter in her feat. The Gun Mages knocked down all three of my 'jacks and the Defender pinged the Butcher for a few damage. The Gun Mages also pasted Orin. His Lancer and Ironclad moved a bit onto my left flank.

My turn was a big mess. I gave 3 focus to the Spriggan and upkept Fury and Iron Flesh. The feat schenanigans meant that the Butcher, his 'jacks, and the Great Bears were all stuck doing nothing. I did manage to catch one Gun Mage with the Spriggan's grenades and another two with the Widowmakers.

His turn three was the end for me. He cast Telekinesis a few times to get his Ironclad into charge range of Butcher, charged him in, and hammered the Butcher into the ground.

I should have seen what the Ironclad was planning on my flank but being under Haley's feat really stalled anything I could have done. I thought I was in pretty good shape even after my lost turn because I had destroyed his infantry, hadn't lost anything but Orin, and was in good position to charge + Butcher's feat. Oh well. Hopefully I'll get in another game with him next weekend.

#26 ·
I had two more games with my Butcher list this past weekend resulted in two more defeats, but I'm getting closer to making it work. My list was:

Butcher of Khardov
+Kodiak
+Kodiak
+Spriggan
Widowmakers
Great Bears
Kell Bailoch
Orin Midwinter
Manhunter

My first game was against the same Cygnar player from last week. He was running a similar list:

Epic Haley
+Squire
+Lancer
+Defender
+Ironclad
6 Trenchers
Stormblades + UA
Gun Mage Captain Adept

Deployment was similar this game. Trenchers up front, Stormblades on my right hand side, 'jacks and Haley behind the Trenchers. I put my shooters and Manhunter on the right, the 'jacks center with Butcher, Orin, and the Great Bears just behind them.

He moved the Trenchers and GMCA up and took out Kell and two Widowmakers. Everything else walked forward and Haley put Deceleration on the Trenchers.

My three 'jacks ran forward with Butcher and the Great Bears behind. Butcher put Fury on the Spriggan and Iron Flesh on the Bears. Orin zapped two Trenchers and the Widowmakers shot two more while the Manhunter ran down the right flank.

Haley moves up and feats, getting everyone but my Manhunter and two remaining Widowmakers. She also casts Telekinesis twice, turning the Spriggan around and moving the Ironclad forward. Something tags one of the Great Bears and the Defender deals six or so points of damage to Butcher. The Ironclad slams the Spriggan, hoping to slam it over the Greatbears but he rolled a 1" distance and didn't do much damage.

Under Haley's feat I move the Great Bears to engage the Lancer, the Spriggan and one Kodiak to engage the Ironclad, and the other Kodiak forward. One Widowmaker gets the GMCA and the Manhunter moves to threaten the Storm Blades. Orin zaps the last two Trenchers.

Haley casts Telekinesis again, moving the Spriggan and Kodiak away from the Ironclad, who charges Butcher and leaves him with a single health box. The Storm Blades assault the Manhunter who manages to dodge three of the four blasts before being pasted on the fourth.

My first feat turn! Butcher casts Full Throttle and feats. He attacks the Ironclad twice and nearly trashes it on his own before letting the Spriggan finish it off. The Kodiak not near Butcher charges the Defender, hits it quite hard on the initial attacks, and threw it into the Stormblades. The throw wrecked the Defender and managed to kill three Stormblades and the Widowmakers killed two more. The Greatbears rolled horribly, even with four dice on each attack, and couldn't finish the Lancer.

Haley put a fully boosted hand cannon shot into Butcher and ended the game.

This game went a lot better than the first, and had Butcher had a little more life I probably would have won. He was down to his Squire, Haley, a badly damaged and engaged Lancer, and four Stormblades who were way out of position. My Great Bears would have finished the Lancer and all three of my 'jacks were fully operational. As I think about it now I may have been able to protect Butcher by having the unengaged Kodiak move between him and Haley and Vent Steam to create a cloud to block LOS. She may still have won but it's something to think about for next time.

The second game was against Skorne.

pMorghoul
+Titan Cannoneer
+Titan Bronzeback
+Cyclops Savage
10 Praetorian Swordsmen
6 Paingivers (don't know if they were one unit or two units of three)
Immortals
Ancestral Guardian

I deployed the same as I have been. He set up with Morghoul, the Titans, and Immortals in the middle with the Swordsmen, Cyclops, Guardian, and Paingivers on my right.

The 'jacks, Great Bears, and Butcher run up. Orin zaps two Swordsmen and the five snipers kill another six.

The Skorne army moves forward as a group. The last two Swordsmen run forward to engage the Manhunter and Great Bears. The only real action came when the Cannoneer shot and killed Orin.

I try to free the Great Bears by shooting the Swordsman but three shots miss him and hit my Bears instead. The Manhunter kills his Swordsman and one Great Bear takes care of his while the other two charge the Cyclops but don't kill it. The other snipers take care of a few Immortals and the Manhunter kills the Ancestral Guardian. I get a little indecisive with my 'jacks, not wanting them to be charged and not wanting to work on the Bronzeback who had Admonition on him.

The Immortals come in to engage one Kodiak and the Spriggan but don't do much damage. Morghoul pasted the Manhunter and the Cyclops took out a Bear. Morghoul then sprinted away and feated. The Cannoneer put some damage on Butcher and the Bronzeback continued to threaten on my left side with Admonition.

Butcher feated and cast Full Throttle but held back from the melee. One Kodiak and Spriggan wiped out the Immortals and the second Kodiak charged Morghoul but couldn't hit him even with the boosts.

The Bronzeback wrecks the Spriggan and the Cannoneer wrecks the Kodiak near Morghoul. The Cyclops finishes off the Great Bears.

My last Kodiak moved up on the Bronzeback, who ran away due to Admonition. It had to run towards Butcher, who charged and killed it. My Widowmakers ran to engage the Cyclops so it couldn't threaten Butcher.

The Cannoneer charged Butcher and killed him.

I think I was too conservative this game with my 'jacks. The first turn I was very aggressive and took control but then I stopped and he gained the momentum. I may have been able to survive the Cannoneer charge if I had cast Iron Flesh on Butcher (DEF 17 is quite a bit harder to hit than DEF 14) - something to remember for next game.

#28 ·
I love the Great Bears, but my dice don't for some reason. I charged two of them into a Pureblood Warpwolf this weekend needing 6's to hit, and I rolled 4, 5, 5, 6. Another time I got all three into combat with a Lancer and would have wrecked it with average damage rolls but couldn't throw any dice higher than a 3. They're incredible powerful, especially if they can get a charge off on Butcher's feat turn (the unit of three produces three 5d6 and three 4d6 damage rolls).

I played another two games this weekend, both against Circle using my Butcher list.

pButcher
+Kodiak
+Kodiak
+Spriggan
Great Bears
Widowmakers
Kell
Orin
Manhunter

Baldur
+Feral Warpwolf
+Pureblood Warpwolf
+Woldwarden
Druids + UA
Blackclad
Lord of the Feast

The six heavies met in the middle and beat the tar out of each other. I had a slight edge because his infantry couldn't do anything to my 'jacks while the Greatbears were able (even with the terrible rolls mentioned above) to put a solid dent in his Pureblood and tie it up for a turn. I won when a Kodiak got a charge off on Baldur.

pKrueger
+Feral Warpwolf
+Pureblood Warpwolf
+Woldwarden
Druids + UA
Warwolf
Lord of the Feast

This game went a lot worse for me. In his first two turns he killed my Widowmakers, Kell, Orin, and two Greatbears with some fantastic rolling on two Chain Lightning spells and the Pureblood's spray attack while I hadn't even entered charge range. I did my best to delay the inevitable but eventually the Woldwarden caught the Butcher and put him down.

#29 ·
Nice play-blog. Its a good read. Subscribe'd.

I see you've fought Cygnar, Khador, Legion, Skorne, and Circle, but have you fought Cryx or Retribution or any of the other faction yet? I'm especially curious about any games against Cryx as I'm going to be starting a Cryx army next month.

#31 ·
I played two games this weekend against a Tier 4 Nemo list.

Nemo
+Thunderhead
+Lancer
+Squire
Swordknights + UA
Swordknights
Journeyman
+Charger
3 Stormsmiths

I was using my 35 point Butcher list.

The first game, not knowing much about Nemo, I had my three heavies in a line close together to screen Butcher. Nemo arced Voltaic Snare onto the middle one and managed to pin down all three in a bottleneck. The game was over at this point because I couldn't stop Nemo from doing that every turn and he was free to mop up the rest of my army.

The second game went better (although I still lost). I spread the 'jacks out more and put early pressure on the Lancer, keeping it back from my lines. He tried to kill Butcher with the Thunderhead but didn't do much. On my turn I feated and wrecked a fully health Thunderhead with Arcane Shield on it using just the Great Bears - awesome!

The game then turned into a big melee as we ground each other's armies to death. Butcher used Obliteration a few times to kill 5 or 6 Stormblades, a Kodiak vented steam and took out another 4, while I eventually lost the Kodiak, Spriggan, and Great Bears.

The game came down to Nemo, Lancer, Squire, and one Stormsmith against Butcher and a Kodiak. The Lancer and Nemo's gun whittled down the Kodiak while Butcher got tripped up on all of the wreck markers on the field. The Lancer killed my Kodiak and in response Butcher cast Obliteration on Nemo, leaving him with two boxes left. I didn't get a second chance though because the Lancer and Nemo's gun killed Butcher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.