New guy Mortal Chaos Army List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New guy Mortal Chaos Army List

EDIT: Some points values removed due to GW Copyright. -Spector

I'm new to playing fantasy (havent even played a game yet) and Ive been playing 40k for about a year. Me and my friends are putting together armies to start soon, and we're looking to hit the 1500 point mark before we start playing. I will be playing Dark Elves, Dwarfs, Tomb Kings, and either Skaven or orcs.

This is what I have so far, just shy of 1300. I want an army that can fight all those listed with about equal footing, the dark elves being the ones Im most worried about. Can you give me suggestion on what else to put in and on the current list?
    ------------
    Hero General
    -----------
    Exalted Champion
    Sword of Might
    Enchanted Shield
    --------------
    Core Units
    ---------------
    Chaos warriors x18 300
    Shields
    Champion
    Standard Bearer
    Musician

Chaos warriors x18 300
    Shields
    Champion
    Standard Bearer
    Musician

Knights of Chaos x5 260
    Musician
    Standard Bearer
    Champion
    Mark of Khorne
    -----------
    Special Units
    ------------
    Chaos Furies x10

Beast Herd 165
    5 Ungor
    15 Gor
    Shields for ungor
    Musician
    Battle Standard
    Foe Render

Last edited by Spector; August 25th, 2007 at 07:04.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Well, first off welcome to LO and the Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I hope you enjoy both very much . Now lets take a look at what you got.

To get up to 1500, you could do a few things:

-Make your knights chosen, this will make them pretty damn nassty in CC and boost their save
    -Since your Knights are Khorne and have frenzy, maybe get a unit of Warhounds to screen them. 5 Hounds will be enough.
    -You could add another character, a caster maybe. An Aspiring Champion with the Mark of Tzeentch and the skull of katam cost 200 points even.

Just a few ideas for you to play around with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just five warhounds? Thats under 50 points isnt it? I may try that. Thats what I had in mind for the beastmen, to screen my knights and warriors, but would I be better off using just warhound squads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not sure about your two undivided squads of warriors. first, 18 warriors is too many in a squad at this points level. try 15. if you want to use 36 warrior models (3 boxes), just take 3 squads of 12, although 2 of 15 is probably the best option. second, chaos warriors on foot, in general, unless given the mark of khorne, an additional hand weapon, or halberds, simply aren't good. they dont hit quite hard enough to cost as much as they do. You could switch them for marauders, or give them one of the above weapon options. Your best bet is probably the mark of khorne, although if you dont want to do that, then i'd reccomend halberds and shields. this costs the same as giving them each an additional hand weapon, but this way you can use the hand weapon and shield if you get charged (and therefore dont go first), or against shooting so that your warriors wont die to easy. if you charge, whip out the halberds and chop off heads. there probably wont be enough stuff alive to strike back. BTW, i say halberds instead of great weapons, beacuse on subsequent rounds of combat you will go before dwarfs, tomb kings, skaven and orcs, and have the same initiative as dark elves, giving you a 50% chance of going first, at strength 5 (which wounds elves on 2+) rather than a 0% chance of going first at strength 6 (which also wounds elves on 2+)
    Last edited by Snyder; August 25th, 2007 at 23:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would the warriors be more effective if I screened them with a beast herd?

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Chaos warriors are 'Elite Infantry'. Best used with a wide frontage and few ranks. 6 wide is most common, possibly 7, units of 12 or 14. Also use them with Music and Champion only, the banner, if lost, costs you a lot. Mark the Warrior units with khorne too, maor attacks and anti magic are a great thing. Mark the general too, make it a full Khorne army! Use the warrior's shields at range, but give them 2Xhand weapons for when they get into combat, their Cres comes from kills.
    Herd screening could pay of, but if the enemy has a hill then its a redundant tactic. Small herds can be useful though, if not for screening than for lying in wait in a forest to annoy the opponant. Drop the herd's standard, and change the ratio a bit, ungor are cheap and good for taking ranged damage. Best to start off with whats in 1 box, 12 gor and 8 ungor with champ and music, thats a decent unit.

Edit: also as spector said, get some hounds, they are awesome for their points (Goblin Wolves make great plastic models for them)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I really want to give my warriors 2x hand weapons though? Seems like a waste of a fairly high initiative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Initiative?? they still strike in Init order. Only Great Weapons make you strike last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OH. I didnt realize that. Ok. remember, Im fairly new . Oh, the units I have as of now (pending upgrades, but same units), will they be effective against the armies I had listed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

It really depends on the composition of the other armies, but khorne will be generally good as it will allow you to get kills and a decent amount of antimagic. The furies should be useful in a lot of situations.
    Either way, as you use points the armies should be balanced enough, and you have a good range of opponants there. Get your mates to sign up and post their lists too, especailly TK, i can help there a lot lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast