2250pts Warriors of Chaos 1st draft - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2250pts Warriors of Chaos 1st draft

EDIT: Please don't post individual points costs for every item you give your characters/units. - Spector

Hello. This is my first ever Warriors of Chaos army list, any thoughts (good or bad) would be welcome.

Exalted Sorcerer of Chaos 370pts
    Mark of Tzeentch
    Staff of Change
    Barbed Chaos Steed
    Level 4 Wizard

Exalted Champion of Chaos 190pts
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Whip of Pleasure
    Daemonic Mount

Sorcerer of Chaos 165pts
    Daemonic Familiar
    Barbed Chaos Steed
    Level 2 Wizard

15xWarriors of Chaos 363pts
    Musician
    Standard Bearer
    Banner of Wrath
    Shield
    Chosen
    Mark of Slaanesh

20xMarauders 158pts
    Musician
    Standard Bearer
    Shield
    Light Armour

20xMarauders 158pts
    Musician
    Standard Bearer
    Shield
    Light Armour

5xWarhounds of Chaos

5xWarhounds of Chaos

5xMarauder Horsemen 70pts
    Throwing Axes

5xMarauder Horsemen 70pts
    Throwing Axes

4xKnights of Chaos 207pts
    Musician
    Standard Bearer
    Chosen
    Mark of Slaanesh

4xKnights of Chaos 167pts
    Musician
    Standard Bearer
    Mark of Slaanesh

Hellcanon of Chaos

2248pts

Last edited by Spector; July 19th, 2008 at 18:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Id say swap the Knights standards for Champions, but aside from that, looks good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea with the knights is to bind up big bad units and make em stay there for a flank charge from one of the slower units. Why do you think Champions would be better?

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

They win combats with Kills, not static Res. The banner can be risky, as it loses you 100Vpts if captured, but the Champ, having +1A is also a pretty good chance at another Cres, and can be good in challenges etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

I think you've gotten the wrong idea of how to use your knights. They are 'hammer' units, there to smash anything they charge. As such, they win combat through generating Combat Res (CR) via kills, not through static CR (Ranks, Banner, Outnumber, ect). That is the job of 'anvil' units, such as large blocks of Marauders or Warriors of Chaos (expensive though for Warriors). Having your knights bogged down in combat is bad however. If your knights aren't moving, they are much easier to flank. If knights get flanked, they usually die.

Now onto the list.

Characters:

The Lord looks good, pretty much the standard build for a level 4 with the WD list. I'd try to find 25 points to give him either a Dispel Scroll or a Power Stone (Scroll would be my choice).

For the Exalted Champ, his builds characterful, but I prefer a weapon such as Sword of Might or something of that nature. This is because looking at the rest of your list, nothing in your list can hit any harder than S5. If you are going against an army such as Bretonnia, this might hurt you trying to get through all that armor.

Your Sorc is fine. I'd try to find the points to give him Mark of Tzeentch though. Choice of what lore he wants is easily worth the price of the cheap mark, and you get a ward save to boot.

Just out of curiosity, where were you planning on putting the characters?

Core:

Let's look at the Chosen Warriors first. 15 is a decent enough size, but I believe 12 or 18 would work better. 18 lets you run them in a 6x3 formation and maximize unit size while still getting 2 ranks. 12 does the same thing with less bodies, but it's cheaper. 15 is a poor number imo due to the fact that you'll be running them 5x3, which means less attacks than the other 2 formations (Chaos Warriors generate CR via kills, not static res) and if you lose 1 guy, you lose the 2nd rank bonus. Also if you knock them down to 12, you would have enough points left over to possibly arm them with halberds or great weapons. Also, the Banner or Wrath is not really an optimal choice for this kind of unit imo. To be effective, the banner needs to stay outside of close combat. For the unit to be effective, they need to get into close combat. See the dilemma? Drop the banner imo.

The Marauder units look fine. If you have the points, I'd bump them both up to 25 men, but it's not a high priority.

Only 2 units of Warhounds is a bit low. I'd try to bump them each up to 6 if you can't get a 3rd unit.

Special:

The Marauder Horsemen need Musicians to rally easier when they flee from charges or fail panic tests. Flails would be nice as well to make them into better wizard/warmachine hunters.

The Knight units are a bit small imo. 5 or 6 are the sizes I would run them in. Get rid of the Standards, Cavalry units are too easy to wipe if they get tied down and it's just free VP to your opponent. Musicians are mandatory, Champions optional if you have the points (although I think there are other areas of you list that could use the help more than the Knights).

Rare:

Personally I'm not a fan of the Hellcannon atm. It's a bit too random for my liking and it's expensive! Not only that but if something goes wrong, it's more than likely going to start munching on your own men. I'd take a look into the 2x Spawns/Giant combo, as that really aides a melee heavy list imo.

Hope that was helpful.

+ Reply to Thread