2000 pts chaos with a dragon(new book) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 pts chaos with a dragon(new book)

I decided to make a chaos list with a nurgle theme, here it is
    Lords

Chaos lord
    dragon
    flail
    favour of the gods
    mark of nurgle
    diabolic splendour 648

Heroes

Exalted hero
    chaos steed
    flail
    fury of the blood god 155

Chaos sorcerer
    2 dispel scrolls
    chaos steed 151
    Core

5 war hounds 30

5 war hounds 30

5 marauder
    musicain
    flails
    shields
    throwing spears 91

5 marauder
    musicain
    flails
    shields
    throwing spears 91

5 marauder
    musicain
    flails
    shields
    throwing spears 91
    Special

5 chaos knights
    musicain
    banner 230

5 chaos knights
    musicain
    banner 230

5 chaos knights
    musicain
    banner
    war banner 255

Total 2002

feel free to say what you think

Wood elf player- 2000 points worth, Autumn theme
    Empire player - 3000 points worth, Green and white
    Eldar player - 1500 points worth, Blue and white

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x2)

... it's over 2,000 points!

I think you're extremely unit-light. There are only actually 43 models in that army, with a total unit strength of... what, around 90? I reckon you need more units in there. Imagine what will happen when your screening units get vanished away by a hail of arrows from two units of ten dark elves wielding repeater crossbows, for example. As soon as you lose two models you're taking a panic test, on a leadership of 7. Three models gone and you can no longer negate rank bonuses with a flank charge. An average barrage of 20 arrows wil take out those two models in one turn - even given long range and a penalty to shooting for firing twice.

You've spent almost half of your points on characters, which seems a mite too much. I thought standard wisdom said characters should cost around 20% of your total army cost. That nice big dragon is rather susceptable to being charged by units with a large static combat resolution and your other units will struggle to support him properly, surely? Every unit in your army can be broken by a large body of troops. You're relying very, very heavily on getting flank charges in on units but more often than not you're going to hit things head-on. When that happens I think you'd have problems - especially given, as I said, that it's so simple to negate the potency of your flanking units.

I like the speed and mobility you have across the army, but I do think that you need more units and more models. At this size of game I'm not convinced you want a large Lord on a dragon. Those 650 points would probably be better spent on making your units harder to kill. Those covering units of hounds and marauder horsemen look a little flimsy. Save the big character for at least a 3,000 point game. At this size of game, try to avoid spending more than 400 points on characters - and certainly no more than 500.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you say it's over 2000 points do you mean by 2 or????

I wrote this list as it is the total opposit to what i normaly play-a empire list with 4 ranked up units,a dark elf list much the same and a shootie wood elf list that is why it is not abieing by the standard wisdom that characters should cost around 20% of your total army cost. .

Thanks for talking the time to reply el

Has anyone else got any idears for improvment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x2)

I haven't added everything up, but yeah - I meant by 2. At least, that's what you say.

And no worries for the reply. I'm afraid I don't have a huge amount of experience, so it could be that my opinion or advice is either wrong or only applicable for new players who don't know any clever tactics!

I'm looking at the army again and I really think you want to reconsider your character point cost. For the cost of that dragon, you could have something like 30 or 35 Warriors, which would be so much more flexible in the army. Or heck, you could get... what? 160 Marauders?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

I added up everything you listed into my Army Builder, the calculation isnt correct...

Your Exalted Hero is 150pts.. you listed him as 155, so I am assuming you gave him a shield.

Overall, it looks to be a solid list.. with 3 units of chaos knights + 1 dragon roaming down the board, I'd hate to be on the other side of it.

A couple things though.. Flail and shield? Flail requires 2-hand, that means you wont be able to benefit from the +1 armour save in close combat. Your Marauder Horsemen will be at 6+ Sv for being mounted and that's it. I understand you may have taken it for the +1Sv (5+) against shooting, but why not change it to Light Armor for the same point cost and you get the +1Sv at all time, even in combat too. Samething with your Exalted Hero, if my assumption is correct, that 5pts shield is pretty worthless.

As for your Chaos Knights, I'd take out the musician and banners and give them all a mark.. maybe Mark of Khorne if you know how to manuever Frenzy unit with the help of Chaos Warhound screening them. Musician is only useful if you ever draw a combat.. and I dont know what's the chance of a unit of Chaos Knights run into stalemate, I'd say pretty slim at that.

I actually run a similar list too... with the exception of 1 less unit of knights and horsemen, no warhounds, and no exalted hero, in exchange for 1 big block of marauder on foot, 1 more lv1 sorcerer carrying 2 more scrolls (4 in total), and a shaggoth ..
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanls alot for the reply nekochen i have changed the list around a bit it now looks like this-

Lords

Chaos lord
    dragon
    flail
    enchanted shield
    mark of nurgle
    diabolic splendour 653

Heroes

Exalted hero
    chaos steed
    flail
    fury of the blood god 150

Chaos sorcerer
    2 dispel scrolls
    chaos steed 151
    Core

5 war hounds 30

5 war hounds 30

5 marauder
    musicain
    flails
    light armour
    throwing spears 91

5 marauder
    musicain
    flails
    light armour
    throwing spears 91

5 marauder
    musicain
    flails
    light armour
    throwing spears 91
    Special

5 chaos knights
    musicain
    banner 230

5 chaos knights
    musicain
    banner 230

5 chaos knights
    musicain
    banner
    war banner 255

Last edited by chris 101; October 15th, 2008 at 16:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x1)

Well whats not to love, a big bad Lord on a Dragon supported by those tough as nails knights. I am a bit of a newb myself, but as I have been contemplating a similar army build I will give you my thoughts.

Generally I think the dragon is the key to success to this army, so I really feel you need to spend the points on him to allow him to fulfill his role on the battlefield, and survive! Currently your nurgle mark doesn't really do much for your Lord. A better combo IMHO is marked tzeench with armour morslieb (3+ ward save), enchanted shield for a good armour save aswell, and I would be adding a nasty magic weapon such as a chaos runesword.

Do you think you need the support of the other two heroe choices? Generally you will be in combat on turn two. If you can afford to drop the other heroes it allows you enough points to include another unit of knights or dragon ogres.

Mauraders, really is up to personal preference but could do with a musician and flails as standard. Anything else is a luxury if you have the points, but not entirely essential. If you can squeeze them out to 6 man, it would be best.

Your knights are your backbone, and support to your Lord. I think each unit should be 6 man strong. You would be better off dropping your musician and standard (why would you be fleeing and losing your standard?) and instead use the points to mark them. Korne for that extra punch in combat or nurgle to help with their survivability.

With your hounds, what role do you see on the battlefield? Generally they will get left behind as the rest of your army races ahead.

Anyhow there it is, good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice mercenary i will take your idears into consideration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with your advice mercenry, the lord will have 135pts of magic items...?
    rag doll
    'A good soldier obeys without question.
    A good oficer commands without doubt'
    -tactica imperium

+ Reply to Thread