Head scratching over 400-450pt nurgle warband - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Head scratching over 400-450pt nurgle warband

This is a tough one, I'm a noob at this (I posted an army list here about a year ago and only just played it last month)

I'm playing in a map based warband campaign, we get 400pts per squad and an extra +50 pts if our general is fighting in the squad, there are other factors that can increase points but the general is the only garauntee (he can be in any squad regardless of position on the map). We are also using the archetype system as well and I chose barbarian for my general.

The big issue is that the new rule book has dropped the aspiring champion and I've got all these chaos warriors all customized to look all nurgley!

So here's my base command:

Exalted Hero (joins up with warriors)
    HW & Shield
    Mark of Nurgle
    135pts

10 Chaos Warriors
    HW & Shield
    Musician
    Mark of Nurgle
    190pts

that leaves me with 125pts to spend, any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's thread lurker warhammer madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x2)

i would have to say a scorceror with lvl2 and enchanted shield?
    exsactly 125pts!
    click>the warhammer world needs you!<click

If someone helps you REP them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many Marauder Horsemen can you get for that?
    Invisible Toast.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x5)

You could take 20 mararuders with light armour, shields and a musician that will put you right at 449pts Or 16 marauders with MoN and Standard bearer. More core the merrier imo in any army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Yeah, thats a bit tough. You could add a big block of marauders to add some nice static res to your battle line, but then you have nothing but a bunch of M4 sloggers. Any enemy army with shooting should be able to outmaneuver you pretty easily for the advantage.

Are you playing warbands rules? You are using the archetypes, so I will assume you are. Instead of the 10 warriors, I would consider taking 2 units of 5 warriors. That gives your opponent much more to worry about. You can't take MoN below regular unit size.... so that frees up another 30 pts.

With that, I would definitely take a unit of warhounds, to mess with your opponent's mind and movement, or possibly 2 units of 2-3 hounds, if you are playing warbands. With the rest of the points, I would take some marauder horsemen with flails to be used as a fast maneuvering hard hitting flanker and warmachine hunter.

If you ARENT playing warbands... you will still need 2+ core, so I'd say drop the MoN, add in a unit of 5 horsemen with flails + LA + axes + musician, and add in a spawn or some warhounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm mainly taking the Mark of Nurgle for fluff reasons, sigh, I know I could save alot of points by not using it. I guess they could be fighting this campaign to earn Nurgle's favor.

This is warband rules as well. Does the rule still exist that says a character with a mark can only join a unit with the same mark?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

At that point level warriors are not your best choice. you will need alot of small units.

Are you playing on the warabands format? If so, a unit champion can be your general, and your minimum unit sizes shrink alot. Using a champion frees up alot of to invest in more models.

Marauders are definitly a good fit fom warband play, and so are warhounds. A unit of 4-5 Forsaken will be a brutal line breaker for you, and also keep up with the speed your hounds have.

Make sure to run a unit if 3 marauder horsemen for flanking purposes. Flails are always a good choice with them.

Read up ont he warbands rules and fittings and take in consideration my suggestions, you will end up with alot more models and flexibility.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UHOH, a Slayer warband has just popped into my territory RIGHT NEXT TO MY CAPITAL!
    So it looks like my first battle in the campaign may be my last! What can I expect from 450pts of Slayers?

Anwyway, I'm going to head to the store this weekend to see if I can slap 40k posessed arms on the new chosen models to make some forsaken. Do you guys think that's do-able?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont bother making any forsaken, they have terrible rules and are horribly overpriced.

Using a slayers only list is just nasty. I think you should focus on using warriors against slayers. Marauder horsemen wont cut it as they will get bogged down in combat and beaten by slayers. Chaos warriors with their great save in combat should give you a massive advantage over the slayers. You will have to slaughter every last slayer to beat them so attrition units are key here. What slayer list is he using? Storm of chaos?

Something like this perhaps;

131 - Exalted hero with a barded steed and a flail (nice against high T slayer heroes)

121 - 18 marauders with light armour shields with a banner bearer and a musician.

96 - 6 Chaos warriors with shields

96 - 6 Chaos warriors with shields

I have been playing a campaign recently using chaos myself and we have gone from 400 points and will be using 1000 this week. Initially I used blocks of marauders and sheer volume of troops however against armies with a vast amount of shooting (something we will nerf if we do a similar campaign in the future) or against very manouverable armies you are at a disadvantage with movement 4 blocks.

As a consequence my warband is now all cavalry which is my intention with my 2000 and 2250 armies anyway. Chaos knights in small games are devastating as is an exalted on disc with a halberd.

edit: if I was feeling really mean and wanted to punish someone for using the storm of chaos slayers I would take this list;

205 - Sorcerer, lvl 2, mark of Tz and disk. Spell familiar, power familiar

85 - 5 marauder horsemen with flails and throwing axes

I would abuse the fast cav to totally outmanouver the ponderous dwarfs until I was certain they were weak enough to be beaten by a charge. The Caster should be able to stay out of harms way whilst dealing magical death, treason of Tzeentch would be a funny spell to have.
    Last edited by Kich; December 7th, 2008 at 19:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had my first two matches today both against Slayers:

Exalted Hero HW & Shield = 115pts

9 Marauders HW & Shield = 45pts

6 Chaos Warriors HW & Shield = 96pts

6 Chaos Warriors HW & Shield = 96pts

5 Horsemen light armor & flails = 80pts

3 Warhounds = 18pts

450pts

Freaking Doomseekers just ruined my day, I charged one with 6 chaos warriors and he kills 3 of them before I even get to hit him. I lost both matches and my general is out of commission for 3 turns. I've realized that light armor on the horsemen was a waste as well as shields for the marauders.

Things that worked: the unit of three warhounds worked well as charge bait, the hounds outran the slow dwarfs and fled through the unit of marauders behind them but since they were less than unit strength 5 they didn't panic the marauders. The chaos warriors did well against the regular slayer units.

I only have one squad left and they are up against Tomb Kings on Monday. It looks like the Tomb King player has a squad in the hex next to the squad fighting me giving it +50 points in support, if his general joins up he'll get another +50 to have a total of 500 points vs my lone unsuported squad of 400 points. I've heard this guy is very shooty and will have 1 or more chariots in play.

Kich: I wouldn't be able to use that second list you recommended because there's a limit of 150pts total for characters in warbands

+ Reply to Thread