Daemon Prince - 2,250 competitive list. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Daemon Prince - 2,250 competitive list.

Well I have been kicking this idea around in my head for awhile and a recent post by timk1111 that showed a WoC list that won the Conflict GT has helped refine the idea into an actual list.

So here she is.

Daemon Prince
    Mark of Tzeentch
    Level 4
    Tendrils of Tzeentch
    Diabolic Splendour

Sorcerer
    Mark of Nurgle
    Level 2
    Power Familiar
    Dispel Scroll

Exalted Hero
    Battle Standard Bearer
    Mark of Tzeetch
    Golden Eye of Tzeentch
    Flail
    Disc of Tzeentch

10 Chaos Warriors
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Shields

10 Chaos Warriors
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Shields

20 Marauders
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Musician, Standard
    Light Armor and Shields

20 Marauders
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Musician, Standard
    Light Armor and Shields

5 Warhounds
    5 Warhounds

5 Chaos Knights
    Mark of Tzeentch
    Standard
    Blasted Standard

5 Chaos Knights
    Musician

Chaos Chariot
    Mark of Slaanesh

----------------------------------------------------
    Total: 2,248

So, I think I really like this list, I have the Daemon Prince and Exalted Hero flying around making pains of themselves and my Exalted can turn any chariots into matchsticks. I have a solid core of troops that are reliable. To top it all off the list contains some extra killyness with two units of knights and the chariot.

The only things I am really troubled on is that I think I might want to drop a unit of hounds to mark the second unit of knights. I also cant decide if I want the book of secrets or a dispel scroll on the sorcerer. I don't normally like scrolls too much, but I can see how a single spell can wreck your plan (an untimely van'hels, or a strength 11 or 12 gateway comes to mind). On the other hand, the book makes it so I can keep 7 dice for the Daemon Prince and still have 3 dice to use on whatever spells the nurgle sorcerer might have.

Any other thoughts and comments are appreciated also.

Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; January 25th, 2009 at 06:15.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,

Dude the list is looking very cool, you have managed a DP and 2 units of knights and still managed to have enough bodies.

It really depends on what type of army your guna be facing if its a gunline more hounds, if its a knight army monsters. But to be honest this list looks like it could take on all commers quite well. What mark would you give the other unit if you were?

Also it really depends on your play style, Ive been using Vilitch alot recently and the only contenders against him have been slanns and teclis!! plus i like using a sorcerer to go with him with the SoK the +2 to cast is fun!! But over all dude it looks fairly solid and a well rounded army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

I think I would go with a mark of nurgle for the second unit of knights if I were to drop a unit of hounds

On a side note, have they released the daemon prince model from the WoC book? If not, will they be releasing it any time soon?
    Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; January 25th, 2009 at 03:51.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Nurgle knights are worth every point and then some. I haven't played a game without 2 units of them in over a month.

I've been toying around with a DP list I was going to try out Wednesday. I have two nurgle mages instead of a BSB and mage. I like the str7 bsb helping a stubborn DP, but 2 buboes a turn is nasty. Also I was going to convert a ogre hunter into a DP and his 2 sabretusks into nurgle mages somehow. But I may switch it out for a silver surfer. Since I think you'll only ever want to 2 dice cast #1 nurgle spell, giving him a 3rd die is pointless, unless you want to 3 dice it.

I think your warriors would be better served with halberds. They're small and need to win by killing. This makes them a threat that can't be ignored. Some armies would die for str5 attacks AND 4+ armor save on the same infantry model.

I've been running 2 units of 25 marauders for a long time now and I can't get them to do good for me. They're always a liability and I can never count on them to hold.

I also think that flat up nurgle knights with musician/standard will work better than tzeentch knights. Its takes artillery to really scare my knights and even then if my knights are getting hit, it leaves your other guys open.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

Well, I gotta say I'm really liking this list - seems you have most things covered. I don't have anything to really suggest.

See how Splendor goes for you. Fury of the Blood God should do him good, if this doesn't help much, maybe give that a try (he should be laughing in the face of Magic with this gift)

As for the Book, maybe even give it to the BSB - at least he'll get +1 to cast, the nurgle guy won't.

Not sure I'd drop Hounds just to get a mark in though. Hounds are great, and 2 units seems like the minimum really. Feel free to change things around during play testing to get the right mix, but I'd drop something like Diabolic Splendor to fit in a mark, or the Blasted Standard, changing their mark. Upto you however you get it in. It may not even be needed though.

Do you plan on giving this a crack? If so, report back with your results please!

Tim
    Last edited by timk1111; January 25th, 2009 at 07:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spoke to the guys at Games workshop and they reckon some time around the summer the DP multi part plastic will be out.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

If anything you should find a few more points to give your BSB a shield. That extra save might keep him alive vs shooting.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion i would drop a unit of marauders. Then with the points i would give your bsb a shield, mark your knights, beef up your warrior units, and add a unit of warhounds. It looks like a great list either way, but 1 unit of marauders has always been more than enough for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

Well, I was thinking of the warriors as flankers for the marauders, that's the reason I have 2 units of each.

Plus the marauders are kind of a psychological factor. I have found that in my games, even though the marauders are less effective and less points than my warriors or knights or anything, people really gravitate towards shooting them since it gives them a feeling of accomplishment when they can kill them so much easier. Better they die then anything else in my list (Barring warhounds of course)

I think for the time being having both units of marauders is necessary since they let my warriors keep their flanking job, which also keeps them effective at their smaller size.

As for the knights, I really like the suggestions of making both into nurgle knights with music and a standard. To do this however, I need to drop a unit of wardoggies and the blasted standard. I am kind of thinking on the same level as timk1111 in that 2 units of warhounds is the minimum any list should have

My main opponent plays dark elves (magic heavy) and daemons (with lots of Heralds of Tzeentch). So maybe I will try Fury of the Blood God instead of Splendour. I gotta see what those extra points will let me do in relation to the knights and exalted hero as well.
    Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; January 25th, 2009 at 19:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

Ok, How does this look in comparison.

Daemon Prince
    Mark of Tzeentch
    Level 4
    Tendrils of Tzeentch
    Fury of Tzeentch

Sorcerer
    Mark of Nurgle
    Level 2
    Power Familiar
    Dispel Scroll

Exalted Hero
    Battle Standard Bearer
    Mark of Tzeetch
    Golden Eye of Tzeentch
    Flail and Shield
    Disc of Tzeentch

10 Chaos Warriors
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Shields

10 Chaos Warriors
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Shields

20 Marauders
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Musician, Standard
    Light Armor and Shields

20 Marauders
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Musician, Standard
    Light Armor and Shields

5 Warhounds
    5 Warhounds

5 Chaos Knights
    Mark of Nurgle
    Musician, Standard

5 Chaos Knights
    Mark of Nurgle
    Standard

Chaos Chariot
    Mark of Slaanesh

Total: 2,248

Well I couldn't afford both a musician and standard on both units of knights, but I at least got a standard on both. The Exalted has a shield now too so he has a 2+/3++ save versus shooting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast