2250 Character Heavy List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

2250 Character Heavy List

So while I usually post in the Empire forum, I have recently fostered a passing admiration with Warriors of Chaos. After buying the book this weekend and having a good look through, I finally came up with a list. However, me, being used to dirt cheap large blocks of troops, have found it shocking how expensive things can get quickly, especially characters. So I was hoping I could get some opinions on the list I wrote, if you think it would be generally competitive, balanced, and fair. Well, here it is:

Lord
    Chaos Lord
    - 375pts
    Mark of Khorne, Chaos Runeshield, Crown of Everlasting Conquest, Juggernaut of Khorne

Hero
    Chaos Sorcerer
    - 155pts
    lvl 2, Mark of Tzeentch, Spell Familiar

Chaos Sorcerer- 170pts
    lvl 2, Book of Secrets, Dispel Scroll

Chaos Sorcerer
    - 185pts
    lvl 2, Mark of Tzeentch, Power Familiar, Disc of Tzeentch

Core
    Chaos Warriors (17)
    - 362pts
    FC, Mark of Tzeentch, Blasted Standard

Chaos Warriors (16)- 288pts
    FC

Marauder Horsemen (5)- 97pts
    Musician, Mark of Slaanesh, Throwing Axes, Shields

Marauder Horsemen (5)- 97pts
    Musician, Mark of Slaanesh, Throwing Axes, Shields

Chaos Warhounds (5)
    - xpts

Chaos Warhounds (5)
    - xpts

Special
    Chaos Knights (5)
    - 285pts
    FC, Banner of Rage

Rare
    Chaos Warshrine
    -150pts
    Mark of Tzeentch

Lord goes with the knights, tzeentch sorcerer goes with tzeentch warriors, sorcerer goes with warriors. Warhounds act as bait, Horsemen harass and also bait. Warshrine enhances one of the warrior units. Knights hits whatever is infront of it. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

A champion doesn't count towards the 5 models needed for a lookout sir. Meaning if you put your lord in your frenzied knights, he won't get a lookoutsir roll. However, he's so nasty defensively he doesn't need a champion to proect him, so I'd just drop the champion and save a buttload of points.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Also for combat lords the chaos runeshield is often thought of as enough protection. I would suggest the tried and true combo of

Chaos Lord
    Mark of Khorne
    Axe of Khorne
    Chaos Runeshield
    Favor of the Gods
    Juggernaught

Aside from that change I think your list has potential, but most of the changes that could be made to it need to be based on what your personal preferences are. Some WoC players prefer entire armies encased in Chaos Armor. Others like me prefer smaller units of Warriors supported by big cheap units of SCR generating marauders.

One other change I will suggest is in regards to your horsemen. It is my belief (and a common belief of many WoC players here at L-O) that flails should be your primary goal when equipping them. I would seriously suggest replacing those axes with flails and only getting those throwing weapons on those units if you have extra points lying around after tweaking your list.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

One thing you should know, Infernal Gateway only looks good on paper. The best (imo) spell is Pandemonium, and don't underestimate Infernal Puppet for both offencive and defencive powers.

I would also suggest adding Bloodcurling Roar to your disc sorc, and maybe Word of Agony on your lord. I'm with Demardred about your lord aswell, unit champ etc.

You can mix marks! so you can nurgle your knights for that extra shooting defence.
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Yeah, for a lvl2 mage, he shouldn't even be trying to cast gateway.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I dunno, my Level 2 Sorcerers get it off quite a few times.
    The combo i go for my sorcerers is thus;
    Both Tzeentch, one has skull of katam and conjoined and one has a power familiar and a stone/scroll.

3dice with +2 ro cast and an extra D3 you should be knocking off that 15+ to cast, and you've got 2 dice for the two level one spells and still got 2 dice left for the other spell (with +2)
    You don't really need much else than these two for magical death.

3 Sorcerers? Do you need all that power? Personaly i'd chuck in an exalted hero just for an added punch to your foot sloggers.

Other than that i'm with the other boys!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

279 (x7)

3 dice average a 10.5, add in your +2, we're at 12.5, then coinjoined averages a 2, so we're now at a 14.5 and your mage is stupid next round. Even with that combo you'll miss more often than hit, but ateast you have a low miscast rate. Its too low odds for me. Unless you just carry a lot of stones.
    Last edited by Pinkus; January 28th, 2009 at 14:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Yeah, I wouldn't even be considering gateway as a reliable (or even semi-reliable) spell until I have a caster that can throw at least 4 dice at it, preferably 5.

One thing you should know, Infernal Gateway only looks good on paper. The best (imo) spell is Pandemonium, and don't underestimate Infernal Puppet for both offencive and defencive powers.
    Pandemonium is indeed one of the best spells in our lore, but I would hardly discount gateway as "only looking good on paper."

A spell that doesn't require LoS that averages 6-8 hits at a strength of 6-8 that could still have a chance of completely getting rid of an entire unit is hardly a bad spell. Yes there is that chance of doing 2 strength 2 attacks, but I still think it is a worthwhile spell to aim for.

Note I only really think that gateway should be a goal if you are running a tzeentch DP and even then it shouldn't be the focus of your list. But it is still a handy thing to have around. Especially if your like me and typically roll high when it comes to the magic phase .
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

279 (x7)

For every str2 or str3 roll for gateway, odds say there will be a str11 or str 12 roll. That's why I say a tzeentch DP has the potential to be the nasty character in the game. You only got a 8% chance to eliminate a unit, but when it happens its a game changer. I believe 8% comes down to 1 in 12 or so, meaning once every 2 games, maybe 3 games.

But like deman said, you're averaging 7 hits and str 7. If that hits my nurgle knights, he'll wound 6 times and I'll save 2. My unit now has 1 knight left. Not a bad spell. The DP costs 555 points and he just killed 175 points worth of models in 1 round. And on top of that he could still have dice left to roll pandaemonium or flickering fire. And the odd game out where you don't get gateway, the rest of the lore is great. Maybe 2 and 5 suck, but I'll take 1,3,4 any day.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

10.5??? *wonders how you can roll a half* I've not had much problem rolling it. You've got a failry good chance of rolling it. ok sometimes you wont but then it's my LAST spell that i try to get off. The scare factor is usually enough for my opponent to save some dispel dice to stop it and let my No1 spells through. Which can do quite alot of Damage.

Each to their own though

5 doesn't suck!!! lol. i love that little spell. Having a 'suprise' little hero for a turn is quite handy! Even if it is just for a turn. can be enough to swing a hard fought combat or stop a nasty character munching a unit.

i don't like reliable. i like games where i'm not sure what my blokes are going to do. Otherwise why use dice?? we might as well work on averages and say "my wizard kills 3.4 of your men *snore*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast