2250 Balanced, also 'Because I Can' - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

2250 Balanced, also 'Because I Can'

As with my list over in the BoC forum, I thought I'd conjure up a list and see if it's any good. Again, the idea was to get it balanced, yet still hopefully competitive (even though I can't ever see myself using it in a game).

Characters
    Sorceror Lord, Lvl 4, MoTzeentch, Spell Familiar, 2 scrolls.

Sorceror, Scroll, Power Familiar, MoNurgle, Lvl 2.

Exalted Hero, BSB, War Banner.

Core
    15 Chaos Warriors, MoT, shields, Rapturous Standard, FC.

5 Warhounds.

5 Warhounds.

20 Marauders, shields, FC, MoS.

6 Marauder Horsemen, throwing axes, musician.

Special
    12 Chosen of Chaos, MoNurgle, GW, FC, champion w/- Favour of the gods, AHW.

Chariot of Chaos, MoSlaanesh.

6 Knights of Chaos, MoNurgle, banner, musician.

Rare
    Warshrine of Chaos, MoS.

2250 pts
    9DP
    5DD (3 scrolls)

As per usual, I'm open to having holes picked in this list (and am willing to bribe with Rep). A cookie for your thoughts.

-AFG//

Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; March 22nd, 2009 at 00:14.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonFarseerGuy View Post
    As with my list over in the BoC forum, I thought I'd conjure up a list and see if it's any good. Again, the idea was to get it balanced, yet still hopefully competitive (even though I can't ever see myself using it in a game).

Characters
    Sorceror Lord, Lvl 4, MoTzeentch, Spell Familiar, 2 scrolls, Conjoined Homunculus.
    Do you really want your 400 points testing for stupidity?

Sorceror, Scroll, Power Familiar, MoSlaanesh, Lvl 2.
    Lvl2 sorcerers complement lvl4 sorcerers better while being nurgle. 2 die cast buboes to start the magic phase and draw out dice, or use your lvl4 to suck up dice and snipe characters with impunity afterwards. Also, sorcerer's beg to be on a barded steed. Very cheap and they end up with a 2+ armor save. How can you say no to that?

Exalted Hero, BSB, shield, War Banner.

Core
    15 Chaos Warriors, MoT, shields, Rapturous Standard.

5 Warhounds.
    Is the big AFG breaking the rules by posting unmodified points?

5 Warhounds.

20 Marauders, AHW, FC.
    Extra attacks are worthless at ws4 str3. Give them flails or great weapons and mark them slaanesh. They become annoyances you have to kill instead of panicing. Also wasting points with the champion. I'd almost suggest taking these guys and making 2 units of 10 with great weapons or flails and use to flank your chosen.

21 Marauders, shields.
    This unit would benefit from the command more than AHW. Slaanesh is so cheap and gives so much to these guys you really have to find the points for it.

6 Marauder Horsemen, throwing axes, musician.
    Not my cup of tea, but I can't say they won't do good for you. 10 more points will get you 5 with flails and khorne and will show their presence on a battle field. As these stand, they're a minor annoyance.

Special
    10 Chosen of Chaos, MoNurgle, GW, FC, champion w/- Collar of Khorne.
    You got alot of magic defense. Save some points and give your champion the favor of the gods. It most likely will help you out alot more than the collar.

Chariot of Chaos.
    - XX
    Again, if you can find the points, chariots beg to be slaanesh

6 Knights of Chaos, Blasted Standard, MoNurgle, FC.
    Nurgle by itself is a great defense. Most people wil ltell you to take tzeentch with the blasted standard. I'll tell you to straight up drop the champion. No margic standard is fine. 5 chaos knights with standard/musician and mark of nurgle killed so many things for me this weekend at a GT and only cost 260 points.

Rare
    Warshrine of Chaos, MoT.
    Tzeentch is cool and all to get a 3+ save, but think about it. You got 4 wounds at toughness 6 4+ armor and 4+ ward. Then you're spending a TON of points to add 1 to your ward, when most things won't even get through your toughness. Now for a heck of a lot less points you can still keep an amazing 4+ wardsave, but take slaanesh and have the ONLY way to kill this thing is by getting through its toughness or breaking it in combat. You don't get a ward save against terror.

As per usual, I'm open to having holes picked in this list (and am willing to bribe with Rep). A cookie for your thoughts.

-AFG//
    Comments are in quotes. I pretty much showed places where you need to find more points and then showed places where you can lose some points. Also if you completely change up your knights have a buttload of points left over, add 2 more chosen and go 6x2.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

I'm also going to guess your warriors have FC. One of the greatest advantages to warriors of chaos. is the ability to negate most psychology without actually being immune to it. I think this list as its stands doesn't take advantage of it.
    Last edited by Pinkus; March 21st, 2009 at 03:24.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

And to back up Pinkus with the marauders with AHW. Marauders can't take that option. So Pinkus is definitely correct on that one even though its by default lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Do you really want your 400 points testing for stupidity?
    I think I'll be getting rid of that. I just had the points spare and saw the plus D3 to the casting value, and took it.

Lvl2 sorcerers complement lvl4 sorcerers better while being nurgle. 2 die cast buboes to start the magic phase and draw out dice, or use your lvl4 to suck up dice and snipe characters with impunity afterwards. Also, sorcerer's beg to be on a barded steed. Very cheap and they end up with a 2+ armor save. How can you say no to that?
    I should now have the points to make that Nurgle. He was initially Slaanesh because of the nature of those spells being a real hindrance on the enemy's plans.

Is the big AFG breaking the rules by posting unmodified points?
    So that's what they call me now. Intriguing.

This is called the Moderators' Lynchpin, as there is no real definitive answer about values of these nature. When I was initially promoted, I ruthlessly purged them, but our very own Cyric the Mad (who works with IP Law) assures me that posting these is just fine.

Extra attacks are worthless at ws4 str3. Give them flails or great weapons and mark them slaanesh. They become annoyances you have to kill instead of panicing. Also wasting points with the champion. I'd almost suggest taking these guys and making 2 units of 10 with great weapons or flails and use to flank your chosen.
    Might use the 'Detachment Recreation' with the other unit.

Not my cup of tea, but I can't say they won't do good for you. 10 more points will get you 5 with flails and khorne and will show their presence on a battle field. As these stand, they're a minor annoyance.
    Maybe they are just a minor annoyance. But they also happen to be a minor annoyance that can accomplish a lot when used some ways. I play WEs, I should know. The thought of giving my Fast Cav Frenzy frightens me.

You got alot of magic defense. Save some points and give your champion the favor of the gods. It most likely will help you out alot more than the collar.
    I think you have a point, especially as it's decently cheaper.

Again, if you can find the points, chariots beg to be slaanesh
    I would have thought of Panic as not such a nasty thing for chariots. If I find the points, I'll add that.

Nurgle by itself is a great defense. Most people wil ltell you to take tzeentch with the blasted standard. I'll tell you to straight up drop the champion. No margic standard is fine. 5 chaos knights with standard/musician and mark of nurgle killed so many things for me this weekend at a GT and only cost 260 points.
    I think I'll keep the 6th one, by way of allowing for that one stray lead shot, or that one botched armour save. But otherwise, I suspect you may be right that the Blasted Standard is a bit expensive, and the Champion is an expensive other knight that can get chopped up in challenges.

Tzeentch is cool and all to get a 3+ save, but think about it. You got 4 wounds at toughness 6 4+ armor and 4+ ward. Then you're spending a TON of points to add 1 to your ward, when most things won't even get through your toughness. Now for a heck of a lot less points you can still keep an amazing 4+ wardsave, but take slaanesh and have the ONLY way to kill this thing is by getting through its toughness or breaking it in combat. You don't get a ward save against terror.
    I'll see how I go for points, and if it allows me to add some big awesome monster. I haven't thoroughly read up on the rules for this thing. Can't it join units?

I'm also going to guess your warriors have FC. One of the greatest advantages to warriors of chaos. is the ability to negate most psychology without actually being immune to it. I think this list as its stands doesn't take advantage of it.
    Yeah, they have a FC.

So Pinkus is definitely correct on that one even though its by default lol
    O_O. This is why I don't help out much with WoC lists. I could have sworn I'd read that in the entry.
    Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; March 21st, 2009 at 03:59.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Only thing better than 5 chaos knights is 6 chaos knights!

Panic isnt the concern with chariots, its passing fear checks to be able to charge.

The fact that they are fast cav negates alot of frenzies downfalls. At the end of a turn that you don't want to charge next turn, just reform them to face elsewhere. WElfs would sell their favorite wood spirit to get that kind of destruction from 1 105 point unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkus View Post
    Panic isnt the concern with chariots, its passing fear checks to be able to charge.
    I decided on the MoKhorne (though I didn't write it in yet), to get the extra warrior attacks, as well as the free immunity to fear/terror.

The fact that they are fast cav negates alot of frenzies downfalls. At the end of a turn that you don't want to charge next turn, just reform them to face elsewhere. WElfs would sell their favorite wood spirit to get that kind of destruction from 1 105 point unit.
    They're called Wardancers. Part of what Fast Cav does is fleeing from charges to place units out of alignment (coincidentally close to Chaos Knights or something suitably spiky). With Frenzy, there isn't that flexibility. And they seem rather like a hit or miss one trick pony for me, with the prospect of one good XBow volley crippling them beyond any real use. If not, then they charge, which, if we're honest, isn't something WoC are that short on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

MoK is deffinitely not a good mark for a chariot. If you really like it then go with it but it has a large charge range and you will definitely not be a happy camper if it gets baited into turrain and breaks down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sdefreit View Post
    MoK is deffinitely not a good mark for a chariot. If you really like it then go with it but it has a large charge range and you will definitely not be a happy camper if it gets baited into turrain and breaks down.
    That's a good point. Slaanesh it is then.

Turns out I was 41 points over, so I axed the shield on the BSB and the third unit of Warhounds. With my sudden endowment of 20 points, I was thinking off adding a chieftain to both the smaller units of Marauders, and a musician to one of them. Any better ideas?
    Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; March 21st, 2009 at 07:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That first unit of warriors should be 280 not 210, yikes. And if they have FC as you later mentioned that bumps up to 310 points, almost 100 points over what you list them as...

Also, marauders cannot take additional hand weapons =/

The chosen unit actually costs 325, Hate to say it but do you actually own a copy of the new rule book?
    Last edited by Hurtinator; March 21st, 2009 at 23:11.
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

279 (x7)

Unless you're sorcerer guarding, there is NEVER a reason to take champions in warriors of chaos. Too pricey.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast