First attempt at a 2K Cav list.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

First attempt at a 2K Cav list....

I'm trying to put together a 2000 point list using my newly acquired Warriors of Chaos.

I'm kind of limited in what I can field, but I like the idea of all cavalry.

Here's What I got so far:

Sorcerer Lord - lvl 4, MoT, Disc, Power Stone, Power Familiar, Spell Familiar, Book of Secrets - 395

Exalted Hero - MoT, Disc, BSB, Banner of the Gods - 290

Sorcerer - Lvl 2, Steed, MoN, Scroll, Collar of Khorne - 206

Core:

5x Hounds - 30
    5x Hounds - 30

5x Marauder Horsemen, IoS, Throwing Axes - 85

5x Marauder Horsemen, IoK, Flails - 105

Special:

5x Knights, Ensorcelled Weapons, IoN, Musician, Banner, Rapturous Standard - 280
    5x Knights, Ensorcelled Weapons, IoN, Musician, Banner, Banner of Rage - 295

Rare:

Warshrine, IoS - 140

Total: 2046

I need to trim off 46 points... where do you suggest I trim?

Also fluffwise, I like the idea of using all the marks, and the Tzeench Lord.

What I'm not sure about is the layout of my Heros, any advice for them?

I am not dead set on the Exalted, he can change, but i like the nurgle sorc (though his equipment could be optimized more) and the Tzeench Lord is staying , thoughhe may also be equipped differently if need be.

Thanks in advance for help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

to remove the 46 points you should either remove some magic items like the powerstone and the power familiar, or remove the banner of rage off you knights and mark them directly as khorne.

Also i am not so sure about the shrine. I didnt include one in my cavalry army for the reason that it will be left behind. Also i wouldn't mark it slaaneeh but i'd go for tzeentch or no mark at all.
    Last edited by DraagDarkfire; May 28th, 2009 at 17:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well for the first part you cant have both spell familiar and power familiar on the same wizard. Switch the power with the lvl2s scroll and you might want to look at dropping the lvl4s power stone for golden eye to ensure he stays alive. For your exalted hero I really question how effective banner of the gods will be. I don't think the item is worth the points I think he whole objective of the army is to break the opposing player, not prevent your army from breaking. Exalted could use flail/shield for just 9 points. Same thing with rapturous standard, I would much rather have war banner than that on knights.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

Thank you very much for the advice,

Here's a revised idea:

Lord:

Sorcerer Lord - lvl 4, MoT, Disc, Spell Familiar, Blood of Tzeench, Conjoined Hommunculus - 365

Exalted Hero - MoK, Jugger, Sword of Rending, Favour of the Gods, Bloodcurdling Roar - 230

Sorcerer - Lvl 2, Steed, MoN, Scroll - 181

Core:

5x Hounds - 30
    5x Hounds - 30

Special:

5x Knights, Ensorcelled Weapons, IoN, Musician, Banner, Festering Shroud - 285
    5x Knights, Ensorcelled Weapons, IoN, Musician, Banner, War Banner - 285

Changes:

I've clearly changed the loadout of the Sorcerer Lord, making him a little less pricy, but still hopefully able to get Gate off at least once, again I'm not sure if this will be the optimal setup, thanks for the note on the familiars, no more than one Arcane Item...
    I've redesigned the Exalted Hero as well, no more banner of the gods... he fills a very different purpoise now... the question is which unit of knights should he run with? i'm inclined to say the one with the banner of rage, as they will be frenzied as well.
    I've removed one unit of axe throwing Maraduers, and added a unit of knights, a worthwhile exchange I believe....

More notes/optimization would be appriciated.

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

just realized i was giving my sorc lord 2 arcane AGAIN...

Re-revised command setup:

Sorcerer Lord - lvl 4, MoT, Disc, Spell Familiar, Conjoined Hommunculus, Scroll - 370

Exalted Hero - MoK, Jugger, Sword of Rending, Favour of the Gods - 210

Sorcerer - Lvl 2, Steed, MoN, Scroll, Power Familiar - 206

The rest of the list remains the same as my second post.

That leaves me at 2006. I could drop Favour of the Gods, but I'd rather not. another option is taking Javelins on the axe throwers instead....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the majority of your original ideas and it seems you have strayed off a bit but this seems to run too. You may want to think about dropping the knight group with festering shroud and fitting in a group of dragon ogres with great weapons but its up to you.

Sorcerer Lord - lvl 4, MoT, Disc, Spell Familiar, Conjoined Hommunculus, Scroll - 370
    I highly suggest dropping conjoined homunculus as while it can be nice, the con of the spell far succeeds the pros. I suggest using Spell, scroll, and enchanted shield/golden eye.
    Exalted Hero - MoK, Jugger, Sword of Rending, Favour of the Gods - 210
    Not the biggest fan of our magic weapons I would still prefer flail. Quick suggestions I would say is drop mark of khorne/jugger and make him on a barded steed then throw him with the knights who have banner of rage and he is frenzied. I would drop sword of rending for flail and give him collar of khorne(now your knights have 2 magic resist).
    Sorcerer - Lvl 2, Steed, MoN, Scroll, Power Familiar - 206
    You should think about switching the scroll for book of secrets.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

Sorcerer Lord - lvl 4, MoT, Disc, Spell Familiar, Enchanted Shield, Golden Eye, Scroll - 390

Exalted Hero - Barded Steed, Flail, Collar of Khorne - 155

Sorcerer - Lvl 2, Steed, MoN, Book of Secrets, Power Familiar - 206
    Core:

5x Hounds - 30
    5x Hounds - 30

Special:

5x Knights, Ensorcelled Weapons, IoN, Musician, Banner, War Banner - 285

3x Dragon Ogres w Great Weapons - 231

With these modifications, I return to the list another unit of axe throwing horsemen, and add 3 GW Dragon Ogres.

What I lose from my original idea - the Terror Banner... would make it a very differnt list to use... I think I will miss the Stubborn support, but I also think that the Exalted hero in the knight unit with the rage banner will be AWESOME.

What I gain - Dragon Ogres, Sorcerer Synergy... I don't have models for the Dragon Ogres, and don't like the ones GW makes. I was thinking of making my own using Ogre Kingdoms ogres and Cold One bodies... anyone have any advice for conversions?

What do we think of this setup?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x1)

Well you certainly have a nice list progression, your Lord is perfect, IMO that is the best Lord set up we can create, but you really should try and add blood curdling roar. It is awesome on a disc riding sorceror Lord, especially vs heavily armed opponents.

I generally run two buboes sniping support wizards though, they can take out key targets which will help the rest of your army perform better. For example sniping wizards, war machine crew, bsb with ASF banners, champions with ring of hotek, etc. If you decide to add the third wizard, take the puppet. Use three dice on bubboes first from each wizard to draw out dice and scrolls, then reserve the remaining 6 dice for your Lord for gateway, pandemonium, etc.

In some ways I would prefer the extra wizard instead of the exalted, as our knights can hit hard enough without the need of support. I feel our characters need to fill weeaknesses in our list, and combat really isn't one of them. I usually add an exalted BSB at 2250 with disc, flail, shield and armour morislieb, adding speed and resilience that complement the sorceror lord.

Honestly the most efficient use of points is 6 korne knights (without command) with a screen of 5 dogs. 300 points total for this set up gives you a very hard unit, protected from missile fire, immune to pyschology, and able to deal with almost any opponent, with the aid of magic support like previously described. Keep them front and centre, and it as simple as point and shoot.

I also like fast cav on the flanks, that can be controlled. So for me that is 5 Horseman MoS, flails, and shields. This is where my mounted sorcerors tend to go too, unless they are riding in a chariot.

Well thats it from me, I think you are almost there at a really competive list.

About dragon orgres, just proxy untill the new BoC ones come out. They are supposed to be beautiful models and will be worth the wait.
    Last edited by mercenary; May 29th, 2009 at 00:14.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

Just for Fun, I'll make a list using your advice... Check it out:

Sorcerer Lord - lvl 4, MoT, Disc, Spell Familiar, Enchanted Shield, Golden Eye, Scroll, Bloodcurdling Roar - 410

Sorcerer - Lvl 2, Steed, MoN, Book of Secrets - 181
    Sorcerer - Lvl 2, Steed, MoN, Power Familiar - 181
    Core:

5x Hounds - 30
    5x Hounds - 30
    5x Hounds - 30
    5x Hounds - 30

Special:

6x Knights, Ensorcelled Weapons, MoN, Musician, Banner, Banner of Rage - 295
    6x Knights, Ensorcelled Weapons, MoK, Musician, Banner, War Banner - 285

Nice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you are short on core units as hounds do not count.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

Sorcerer Lord - lvl 4, MoT, Disc, Spell Familiar, Enchanted Shield, Golden Eye, Scroll, Bloodcurdling Roar - 410

Sorcerer - Lvl 2, Steed, MoN, Book of Secrets - 181
    Sorcerer - Lvl 2, Steed, MoN, Power Familiar - 181
    Core:

5x Hounds - 30
    5x Hounds - 30
    5x Hounds - 30

10x Marauder

Special:

6x Knights, Ensorcelled Weapons, MoN, Musician, Banner, Banner of Rage - 295
    6x Knights, Ensorcelled Weapons, MoK, Musician, Banner, War Banner - 285

Boosh...

And now you have ammunition for the Exalted Champion cannon...

+ Reply to Thread