another 1k list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another 1k list

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

another 1k list

well here's a revised list would appreciate any feedback. Plan would be shield my ogres and knights with hounds, sorcoror joins my mauraders and pewpews with 5 powerdice and 3 spells until they get in range of enemy units at which point he will leave the unit. To me it looks to have some hard hitters in it for 1k
    To build this list up to 1500 i'd probably just add a beefed up exalted hero and another 5 knights with blasted standard and add frenzy banner to my warriors unit where my exalted will go, i'd maybe try and squeeze in another 10 hounds if i have the points aswell for more of a screen.

sorceror
    lvl 2
    mark of tzeentch
    power familar
    book of secrets

CORE:

20 mauraders
    mark of slanesh
    shields
    music
    standard

12 chaos warriors -
    shields
    music -
    mark of slaanesh

5 warhounds

5 warhounds

total core - 390

SPECIAL:
    5 chaos knights
    mark of khorne

4 chaos ogres
    great weapons

total special - 410

total - 1000

changes i think i should maybe make are dropping ogres down to 3 and using the points to add a blasted standard to my knights and a chieftan to my marauders.

Last edited by outbreak; June 27th, 2009 at 11:12.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't bother with the blasted standard, just put a unit of hounds in front of them, or utilise cover. That standard will be good for 2 turns maximum. Hounds can do just as good a job of walling this unit from missile attacks, and they are 10 points chaeper.

Don't bother with a maruader chieftan, this is watse of 8 points for simply one more attack.

Similarly, don't bother with shields for marauders, that's a 6+ armour save in combat only if they are attacked from the front only. that save can easily be made redundant from str 4 enemies, so it a waste of 20 points. Instead, make them more offensive with flails, making them strength 5 in close combat in the first round. They will probably inflict enough wounds to cause panic in their enemy.

In 1000 points, its probably better to opt out for a warrior commander, because you won't get enough power dice to o****er your opponent's dispell dice. In larger games, get more sorcerors to maximise the poetence of your magic, but in 1000 points you cannot purchase enough sorcerors to make magic reliable and effective.

Instead, get an exhalted hero with an axe of khorne for the edge in challenges (us chaos can't back down from challenges, and a sorceror wouldn't stand a chance if he was asked to a challenge. He can't refuse.)

I would strongly suggest getting chaos armour for your ogres. It makes themmore survivavble and thus more able to make it into ocmbat to use their great weapons. However, they are a great option for 1000 points.

Mark of slaanesh is good for troops. Perhaps adding a musicna to your knights may make tem more able to win a combat, but thats up to you. I feel it is worth the 10 points if it means they win instead of drawing.

That's all I can see that is conceivably wrong or iffy with this list. I hope I have been of some help.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Well here's another list using your advice, hero joins warriors who have the banner of rage so they all get frenzy

Exalted hero
    axe of khorne
    shield

CORE:
    20 mauraders
    mark of slanesh
    flails
    music
    standard

11 chaos warriors
    shields
    music
    banner of rage

5 warhounds

5 warhounds

total core - 399

SPECIAL:
    5 chaos knights
    mark of khorne
    music

4 chaos ogres
    great weapons
    chaos armour
    mark of slaanesh

total special - 450

total - 999

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

so how does the new list look?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Well here's a list i'm probably planning on working towards at 1500 any advice on this one is appreaciated aswell

HEROES:

Exalted hero
    axe of khorne
    shield

sorceror
    lvl 2
    mark of tzeentch
    power familar
    book of secrets

total heroes - 340

CORE:
    20 mauraders
    mark of slanesh
    flails
    music
    standard

17 chaos warriors
    shields
    music
    banner of rage -

5 maurader horsemen
    flails
    mark of slaanesh

5 warhounds

5 warhounds

total core - 580

SPECIAL:
    5 chaos knights
    mark of khorne
    music

4 chaos ogres
    great weapons
    chaos armour
    mark of slaanesh

total special - 450

RARE:

2 chaos spawn
    mark of slaanesh

TOTAL: 1500

i'd take either the chaos spawn and marauder horsemen, or another 5 chaos knights
    Last edited by outbreak; June 28th, 2009 at 08:45.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the exhalted hero, really that is all you need in 1500 point battles, and he is good in a challenge.

With your sorceror, however, I feel that magic is only helpful if you have at least 2 lvl 2 wizards on the table for 1500 points, and a lvl 4 and lvl 2 wizard in 2000 points at least, because you don't really have enough power dice with 1 lvl 2 sorceror, and you can be easily dispelled by most armies, rendering him ineffective. I'd, in this case, either get:

- 2 scroll caddies (lvl 1 wizards with 2 dispel scrolls); or,
    - Another exhalted hero with a warbanner, and attach him to maybe a unit of chaos warriors or marauders.

20 is a good number of marauders, and mark of slaanesh means that your relatively inexpensive troops won't panic your more expensive troops. good call.

Likewise, those chaos warriors have a nice frontage of 6, with +2 to resolution, with the exhalted hero, I presume, and will smack apart most things in combat. However, I have a real thing against shields. +1 to your armour save in combat alone, and then that is only if your enemy attacks you from the front. If I were an enemy commander, not only would I target that unit, because it esseitially has alot of points in one place, but I would attack it with something manouverable to essentially outflank it and negate the save from the shields. That, or I'd run in something really big or nasty to negate your save entirely, such as a common str 6 giant, which could negate your save, even with shields. Thus, IMO, shields are next to useless. You'd be better off spending the points on halberds, giving your warriors 3 str 5 I 5 WS 5 attacks, which will easily level most enemy core units (only toughness 3 or 4 usually) and will help you gaainst anything big that your enemy throws at the unit, which they will because of all the points in 1 place, not to say it will be easy to srounge the points from this unit in combat.

Who is going to support those marauder horsemen Are they a small unit designed to re-direct your enemy or expose an enemy flank to your warriors. If so great, but don't expect them to win the battle alone of course.

Use some free points to buy another small unit of chaos hounds, because I can see at least 3 things on your list that need protecting from missile fire:

-Knights

-Chaos warriors

-Ogres (yes they are toughness 4, but that, again is a lot of points in one place that is worth firing a bolt thrower or something nasty at)

Those ogres are really good too but could be better with a slightly more expensive mark (khorne) and a unit of hounds in front of them, which will make them even more likely to get into combat, on top of the chaos armour they wear, to hack into things with their great weapons. However, its only 1500 points, so don't worry if you can't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Sorry but I have to completely disagree with the shields thing. They are a must. They give you a better save against ranged attacks (3+ instead of 4+) And they improve your save in combat by 2 from the front. 2+ sve infantry is pretty nasty. Sure if you get flanked you will have the parry bonus negated, but if you get flanked expect to get hurt. So just try not to get flanked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you trolling? The rule book specifically states that you receive the 1+ bonus when using a shield in addition to a hand weapon in CLOSE COMBAT (and CLOSE COMBAT alone, not wounds suffered from shooting, rangin, magic, etc. as stated on page 56 of your warhammer rulebook under the heading close combat weapons, subheading fighting with a hand weapon and shield (infantry).) and if you get flanked and you are chaos, you are not necesarily dead. That's what the mark of slaanesh can be used for, aside from our ridiculously good armour save in the first place. Or the mark of nurgle. Heck, we have good combat defensive marks.

Granted, I will agree however that if you want to make a unit thatis really good at taking a charge, then think about a unit of nurgle chaos wariors with shields. They can hold things up at the front really well so another unit can charge their flank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

I am not trolling. I play WoC and I participate in this section a lot.

A shield will give you plus one to your save against range.

With Shield- range save= 3+ Combat save= 2+
    Without Shield- range save= 4+ Combat save= 4+

Shields give +1 save at all times and you get an ADDITIONAL +1 in combat if you use a shield and hand weapon (this is known as the parry rule)

MoN is nice for defense but it is expensive and situational. I am not saying its a bad mark but I prefer to come with a static list and I see MoS being the best for the points. ItP is very nice for 10 points a unit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Hows this list look for 2k to you guys?

HEROES:

chaos lord
    mark of khorne
    juggernaut
    chaos runesword