Planning a 2k List WoC - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning a 2k List WoC

Hi All,

As I slowly build up my army I want to have a solid target in mind. Locally the tournaments and game days are played out at the 2000 point limit, so I want to have a solid list in mind for these events.

To start off my collection I purchased a battalion box, as well as a marauder horsemen unit and a friend gave me an exalted hero on foot. From the playing I've done to date I've been really fond of the cavalry based units, horsemen knights and hounds. In addition, any game where my opponent let me just use bases to represent any unit I wanted I would often play with magic which I found to be enjoyable (albeit my rolls are often terrible with Flickering Fire..... 3 Str 2 hits.... no thank you).

So at the moment as I go forward I wanted to look at building out a cavalry-magic army. When rummaging through the various army lists I found the following which caught my eye: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ts-newbie.html (tzeentch cavalry 1500 and 2000 points from a newbie)

After taking into account the suggestions made by DraagDarkfire, and timk1111 I've started up a goal list of the following:

2000 Point Army:

Sorcerer Lord 410
    -Level 4
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Collar of Khorne
    -Disk
    -Spell Familiar
    -Dispel Scroll
    -Enchanted Shield
    -Bloodcurdling Roar

Chaos Sorcerer 206
    -Level 2
    -Mark of Nurgle
    -Barded Steed
    -Infernal Puppet
    -Talisman of Protection

Chaos Sorcerer 206
    -Level 2
    -Mark of Nurgle
    -Barded Steed
    -Book of Secrets
    -Power Familiar

5 Marauder Horsemen 85
    -Mark of Slaneesh
    -Throwing Axes

5 Marauder Horsemen 85
    -Mark of Slaneesh
    -Throwing Axes

5 Marauder Horsemen 105
    -Mark of Khorne
    -Flails

5 Chaos Warhounds xxx

5 Chaos Warhounds xxx

5 Chaos Warhounds xxx

5 Chaos Knights 275
    -Mark of Nurgle
    -Standard
    -Warbanner

5 Chaos Knights 285
    -Mark of Nurgle
    -Standard
    -Banner of Rage

I've yet to decide what additional units(s) to put into the list. At the moment there are 253 unspent points (I believe I've got all the point costs correct, but if not please point it out). If anyone has any suggestions as to what else should be added I would greatly appreciate it. I was leaning towards a unit of 3 dragon ogres and a spawn, or perhaps another set of 5 nurgle knights with standard? Or maybe something completely different?

I was curious as to why a collar is necessary on the sorcerer lord, I've yet to play a game at the 2000 point limit, do opponents often force fire spells into a lone sorcerer when he's chilling on his disk?

Furthermore, it was suggested that the 2 nurgle sorcerers join up with the knights. Am I to assume that this meant to have 1 in each of the units? Or both in the warbanner one?

Also if anyone has any recommendations on improving the list as a whole please feel free to provide some comments and criticisms. As mentioned before this is a goal list, so model availability at the moment is not a factor as I will be building up to this list as I get new models.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

Well, how can I NOT comment now

The reason I like the Collar of Khorne of a Tzeentch guy flying around and because he is a massive target for magic. It's not so much fireballs, but Lore of Metal will shred him to pieces, and this is something the Golden Eye can't help you against. Being able to fly, plus good armour and ward can help against missile fire anyway...

...plus my guy is on a Dragon, and goes from a massive target to a GIGANTIC one

When joining the Sorcerers up, either way is fine, putting one in the Frenzied unit is risky anyway. This is only as way of protection from Shooting more than anything else, if you can protect them from shooting without joining the units, don't bother.

I would say what you have looks really good, considering you're after heavy magic/all cav. Looks solid with points to spare What I would suggest isL

1) Musicians on all the Marauder Horsemen. Khorne ones could do without it, but they lose frenzy when they lose combat, so it could still come in handy. Slaanesh ones should have it for sure, they're a great bait unit. I'd give the Slaanesh guys Flails too. This way, they become a much bigger threat to the enemy, and can also kills things a little easier if needed (warmachine crew, skirmishers, etc)

2) As for the spare points, I'd get anything BUT Knights, you have plenty. Dragon Ogres would be great, Giants are good, wouldn't go for spawn as they're slower than your whole army and random.

I'd even say a Shaggoth could go well in this list, being some that can race up the flanks, or support a Knight charge, but then I haven't used one, so I'm not 100% on this idea. Dragon Ogres may be the better option, as you will be a similar unit for cheaper, but also another 'block' of troops that can fight.

Good luck,

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaggoth is just slightly out of purchase range with only 253 points to spare, that is unless of course you think its worth cutting something out for him. Perhaps someone with some experience fielding him could provide some insight.

Thank you for the clarification on the need for the collar, it most certainly makes sense that he would be a magic target. Being so many points, and also being a huge threat in his own right.

I think I'll be adding the dragon ogres to the list, and adding those additional weapons/command to the marauders. Updated list to come soon.

Edit:

Are any of the upgrades on the dragon ogres worth taking?
    Last edited by HoroHoro; July 31st, 2009 at 03:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

I wouldn't bother. It'd be cool with a Warshrine, but otherwise not worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your playing against a Tournamnent setup then personally I would reccomend turning your Knight's mark into Khorne.

You will come across Daemons of Chaos, VC & TC and when those Knights hit, it means no fear test and also much more damage - this is vital as unless you wipe out the unit, they're not going to run and your army will lose it's momentum without the Knights smacking into a fresh unit as often as it can.

The vulnerability of Frenzy can be offset by a clever use of your hounds

I would use some of the points to add a Champion to your Knights. Assuming your Sorcerers are in those groups, the Champion can take up a challenge that may otherwise see your Sorcerer slain. They are good at fighting compared to others, but against a tooled up character killer - better to avoid.

Your major vulnerability is going to be gunlines however. You can tool your Sorcerer Lord to the eyeballs, but at 2k points you will most likely meet a cannon from any Empire and certainly any Dwarf force you face - this will be pointed right at him if not careful and has the ability to kill outright.

An organ gun on a hill will make short work of your Knights, and handgunners will swiftly dispatch everything else. I mostly just charge right at them,.destroy the unit in front andfollow up right into them - stunties don't run too good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there Sumilidon thanks for the reply,

Just wanted to check, your suggestion is to make the MoN with warbanner knight into MoK correct?

Also in the case of the cannon fodder sorcerer, I guess it comes down to Collar vs Third Eye. Do I want to the sorcerer to better survive against magic, or against shooting/warmachines. I figure being such a dangerous model he will no doubt be barraged by both, but which is "more" of a threat?

I figure that the threat posed by a gunline army is lessened by the fact that it is cavalry based force, in the event of a footslogging army longer time to reach combat would imply more shoots and more casualties? Or is what I think is a saving grace, actually a weakness?

Also organ gun on a hill is just a terrifying sight I would presume to any WoC force, what are some tactics employed by different army lists to mitigate the risk presented by one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against an Organ Gun on the hill it may sound silly, but going right for it may be best - alternatively it could spend the entire game just blitzing unit after unit.

Send Knights forward full tilt, crash into the guarding unit with all you have and follow through into the Organ Gun - then focus on everything else.

Don't forget to deploy 1" behind the 12" deployment zone -makes all handguns and organ guns out of range if they have the first turn.

I won't lie however, I have no idea what a Warbanner is as I cannot see it in the book, but the extra 2 attacks per model helps vastly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the delayed response, I'd gotten busy and hadn't check up on the thread.

Warbanner is a common magic item found in the core rule book, it provides additional combat resolution (which will help the knights keep their frenzy).

I've updated the list to the following, with 46 points to spare:

Sorcerer Lord 410
    -Level 4
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Collar of Khorne
    -Disk
    -Spell Familiar
    -Dispel Scroll
    -Enchanted Shield
    -Bloodcurdling Roar

Chaos Sorcerer 206
    -Level 2
    -Mark of Nurgle
    -Barded Steed
    -Infernal Puppet
    -Talisman of Protection

Chaos Sorcerer 206
    -Level 2
    -Mark of Nurgle
    -Barded Steed
    -Book of Secrets
    -Power Familiar

5 Marauder Horsemen 91
    -Mark of Slaneesh
    -Flails
    -Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen 91
    -Mark of Slaneesh
    -Flails
    -Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen 105
    -Mark of Khorne
    -Flails

5 Chaos Warhounds xxx

5 Chaos Warhounds xxx

5 Chaos Warhounds xxx

5 Chaos Knights 275
    -Mark of Khorne
    -Standard
    -Warbanner

5 Chaos Knights 285
    -Mark of Nurgle
    -Standard
    -Banner of Rage

3 Dragon Ogres xxx

Not sure what to do with the remaining points.

Some options:

• Add another hound unit
    • Add light armor to the horsemen
    • Re-add the throwing axes to the slaneesh horsemen
    • Add musicians to the knights
    • Add musician to the marauder horsemen cruise missle
    • Give the knights a banner other then warbanner, perhaps rapturous, wrath, or blasted.
    • Or cut the dragon ogres and add a hellcannon or a warshrine (anyone have any experience using these guys?)
    • Ahh almost forgot, perhaps add champs to the knight units to take challenges instead of the sorcs

Oh, also wanted peoples thoughts on running the sorcerers in the knight units. Since their khrone I'll have to screen them, which means I'll have less opportunity to see characters for sniping?
    Last edited by HoroHoro; August 13th, 2009 at 04:44.

+ Reply to Thread