2000 Points All-CAV. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 Points All-CAV.

* I did not notice the Sticky at the top of the forum. I apologize for the thread name not containing the type of list. List is a Tournament list.

Hello everybody. This is my first post on these forums and would like some support on my lists, as I am having a fairly hard time with my WoC by utilizing the regular forces. I am fairly new to Warhammer Fantasy, but come from a 40K background. I would like some advice on how to spend the last 700 points of my 2000 points general tourny-style list.

The backbone of my list is this:

10 Warhounds XXP
    10 Warhounds XXP
    10 Warhounds XXP
    *all of the warhounds will be used as effective meatshields for the knights. But they may be used for other tactical purposes if they survive the run, although it is very doubtful.
    5 knights 250P
    -Full command (MoK/MoN Yet to decide, although I am leaning towards khorne for the extra damage.)
    5 knights 250P
    -Full command (MoK/MoN)
    5 knights 250P
    -Full command (MoK/MoN)
    *I Plan on having the knights advancing behind the hounds. This will be the hammer of my army force due to the sheer damage they will output. I also plan to have my characters in these units, mounted of course.
    5 Marauder Horsemen 75P
    -MoS
    5 Marauder Horsemen 110P
    -MoK, Flails, LA
    *The purpose of the MoS unit is to control the MoK unit, and act as a temporary shield. Both units will be placed on one flank together. Their purpose is to take out pesky warmachines, as well as flank the enemy units after the warmachines have been taken care of, if there are any to begin with

5 Marauder Horsemen 75P
    -MoS
    5 Marauder Horsemen 110P
    -MoK, Flails, LA

*These units will have the same purpose as written above.

One of the problems I have faced when playing other armies has always been shooting, magic, and static combat res. This list is designed to combat all three problems, and excel at it. First off, I will start with my biggest problem, shooting. The shooting phase is a very rough phase for any WoC player; I often find the movement of my forces far too slow to get into combat without getting completely chewed up, even when upgraded with MoN. With this list, I plan on using the sheer speed to get into combat as fast as possible, granting the opponent as few shooting phases as possible. Where I play, we only ordinarily utilize 1 tier hills, so infantry fire should be less of a problem as well. The hounds will be useful for blocking sight of the knights as well. Next, the magic phase has always had roaring with anger when my opponent unleashes loads of bounds spells. This has had me using most of my dispel dice, unable to stop the carnage. This is where I need your help. I need to balance out where to spend the 700 points on magic defense, as well as combat. As for static combat res, The knights most often inflict enough wounds to grant me a great combat res, especially with a exalted hero. Conclusively, I would like to thank everyone for their help and ideas, as it is much appreciated.

Last edited by Vertex112; August 22nd, 2009 at 09:45. Reason: Spellchecked

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't help you much with the magic defence or actual composition, because I have zero experience with 2000pts armies (played a lot of 1000pts all cav), but I can help you with the finer details.

10 Warhounds XXP
    10 Warhounds XXP
    10 Warhounds XXP
    I tend to split these in groups of five each. More manouvrability, and screening range. Though I think that six units of warhounds will clog up a lot of the needed space. In most games I was in combat around turn 2, and the hounds did the job as flankers. Though.. if you split them in six groups, you can use some to shield your Marauder Cruise Missiles, and use the Slaaneshi fetishists for some flanking action.

5 knights 250P
    -Full command (MoK/MoN Yet to decide, although I am leaning towards khorne for the extra damage.)

If you can't decide: why not try MoN with a Banner of Rage for that never ending frenzy? Personally I'd drop the champion, and draw a close on 295 points.

5 knights 250P
    -Full command (MoK/MoN)

Another nice combination against shooting is knights with the mark of Tzeentch and a Blasted Standard. 4+ wardsave against shooting isn't that shabby. Again without a championis would balance around 290 points.

5 knights 250P
    -Full command (MoK/MoN)

Definitely Mark of Nurgle. One set of frenzied knights sound enough to me. And again, I think the champion is a waste of points. Something you might want to consider is using the Rapturous Standard on the knights, or on a Tzeentchian Exalted on a disc. It's the poor mans Banner of the Gods. Alternatively. You might want to look into the Festering shroud for that extra bit of death before your Chaos Lawnmowers.

2x 5 Marauder Horsemen 75P
    -MoS

I like flails and a musician on my horsemen. Not only effective, but in the case of Slaaneshi horsemen very fitting.

2x 5 Marauder Horsemen 110P
    -MoK, Flails, LA

My advice starts to get expensive, but give these full command. The Chieftain helps with killing, the banner for a bit more combat res, and the musician is just to good to stay home in case of a tie.

This is my take on your current list. Hope it helps. I have some doubts on using that many banners in one army (haven't tried it myself), but because of the lack of rank bonusses I think they are justified. It looks like you have a fast, hard hitting army. If you have spare points laying around after your magic defence/offence I think a unit of Dragon Ogres or a Shaggoth wouln't do you wrong.

+ Reply to Thread