Tournament Cavalry 2k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Tournament Cavalry 2k

I want to get some mileage out of my WoC book and small collection of models, so I wrote up this list. I enjoy playing tournament games, so I want the list to be as strong as possible. I miss my full cavalry army, and I hear that the Warriors aren't too bad at that. Here's the list:

Daemon Prince w/ 3lvls, Fury of the Blood God, Tendrils of Tzeentch, Mark of Tzeentch
    @ 515

Exalted Hero w/ Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, The Beguiling Gem, Additional Hand Weapon
    @ 225

Exalted Hero w/ Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Filth Mace, Soporific Musk, Favor of the Gods
    @ 235

Sorcerer w/ 2 Dispel Scrolls, barded steed
    @ 151

5 Marauder Horsemen w/ flails, mark of khorne, light armor
    @ 110

@ 110

5 Marauder Horsemen w/ light armor, throwing axes
    @ 75

@ 75

5 Chaos Knights w/ mark of nurgle, standard bearer
    @ 250

@ 250
    The plan for the list is to put the Juggernauts into the Knight regiments, and keep the sorcerer in one of the shooting units. The Fast Cav will work on the flanks, the Knights work through the middle, pressing the major attack and serving as an alternative target to the Cruise Missile death coming in. The regiments of ranged cavalry are iffy- does range really help? and they'll be used as my march-lane-blockers to help control frenzy.

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why even bother with a daemon prince especially only level 3 if you are going to bring 2 exalteds and vice versa? Either stick with the daemon prince and go more magic heavy or completely get rid of him and get a larger army.

The items on your exalteds are fairly unnecessary khorne, jugg, shield, flail is all they really need.

You can trim points by taking light armor off your horsemen, it wont help them live. Have to rely on your fast calv and moving to keep them alive. You can easily trim points by taking the throwing axes off as it generally doesnt do much at all. I suggest not putting a sorc in with horsemen as it makes them a very easy to kill point effective kill for the enemy. Stick him on a chariot or something with these extra points or just run him solo into some woods.

TLDR fix up your lords/heroes to make your army work together as one well oiled machine instead of just being decent at everything.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

i tend to agree with the above poster, also, if both your exalteds were going to join the knights then you could end up with your expensive characters leaving the units and getting pulled around by baiters

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I was considering dropping the Daemon Prince and picking up another scroll caddy and maybe mounting both sorcerers in chariots. I've just heard that DPs are almost a must when you're taking a tournament force, so I thought I should include my own. I'm willing to drop the magic items, so I think that would be a good way to shave down some points. The one exalted alone could give me another naked Marauder Cav regiment.
    My question- if I drop the axes and pull the sorcerers out from my Marauder Horsemen, should I then upgrade them to MoK Flail units?
    Also- how helpful are Giants? I was looking at them because I love the models, but are their attacks reliable enough to make them effective fighters?
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Ok! Your army list has great potential but I think you messed up several key elements. Lets see...

-------------

Exalted Hero w/ Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, The Beguiling Gem, Additional Hand Weapon
    @ 225

Exalted Hero w/ Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Filth Mace, Soporific Musk, Favor of the Gods
    @ 235

Solid choice for an all Khorne army. Extremely bad magic item choice in my book. You want to exploit your best element out of your juggy hero: easy 0+ Sv and lots of S5 attacks. I would switch for these: enchanted shield, sword of might (make him the BSB ) for the first one and axe of khorne and favor of the Gods for the second (don't forget to add a shield).

Daemon Prince w/ 3lvls, Fury of the Blood God, Tendrils of Tzeentch, Mark of Tzeentch
    @ 515

Sorcerer w/ 2 Dispel Scrolls, barded steed
    @ 151

Combining a scroll caddy to a lvl3 will not give you a lot of results in the magic phase. The deamon prince is a decent choice never the less (but at a big cost). If you keep him just drop him to lvl1 and remove tendrils.

@ 110

@ 110

@ 75

@ 75

Too many horsemen, not enough hounds. I would drop one horsemen unit and get 2x5 hounds instead.

@ 250

@ 250

I suggest you get Banner of Rage on one of these units and MoK + Warbanner on the other one (you will already have frenzied hero inside these unit). Add musicians also.

With the rest of the points you may want to add more knights. I would personally remove the DP and add a units of Khorne knights and a unit of 4 Two-handed wielding Dragon Ogres.

------

EDIT

Giants complement knights almost like Dragon Ogres do (they kill high T, high Sv stuff). Their only problem is their lack of Sv and wounds compared to Dragon Ogres or Ogres.

DP have their place in a magic heavy tournament list. You also don't need a second scroll caddy with a fast striking force (you should be in close combat by turn 2, this severely limits your opponents magic phase)
    Last edited by dapredator66; October 8th, 2009 at 15:45.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was considering dropping the Daemon Prince and picking up another scroll caddy and maybe mounting both sorcerers in chariots. I've just heard that DPs are almost a must when you're taking a tournament force, so I thought I should include my own. I'm willing to drop the magic items, so I think that would be a good way to shave down some points. The one exalted alone could give me another naked Marauder Cav regiment.
    My question- if I drop the axes and pull the sorcerers out from my Marauder Horsemen, should I then upgrade them to MoK Flail units?
    Also- how helpful are Giants? I was looking at them because I love the models, but are their attacks reliable enough to make them effective fighters?
    MoK/Flail horsemen are very efficient and great. I would run with at least 1 group of them. Giants can be great fun, I play with one quite a few times. There is almost nothing they cant take in combat, but you have to play them very careful as they can and will die fast to shooty armies. Against armies with low shooting they will destroy though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick ?

Sorry I have a ? I am new to WoC so forgive me if I am wrong but... If he has an Exalted Hero on Juggie I thought that since he is MoK he cannot join a unit of MoN (the Knights?) Thanks.
    Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

In the new armybook, differently marked Mortals may join the same regiment. They aren't as picky as the Daemons about their alliance. Chaos is Chaos to them, and if you worship Khorne a little more heavily, then that's fine by the Nurgle guys.
    The best part about joining regiments, is that Nurgle's bonuses against shooting and their stat-nerf in combat will carry over to any model in their regiment, so suddenly that Juggernaut becomes that much tougher to kill.

Oh, and since the thread came back up: what do you think of perhaps knocking out the Daemon Prince to pick up a Sorcerer Lord on a Dragon? I'd probably drop one of the Juggernauts in favor of a sorcerer, and then use the last juggernaut in a vastly oversized regiment of Knights of Nurgle. Something like 8 Knights (2 ranks of 5 w/ Juggy) with a Warbanner in there. Make the Jug a BSB to add some punch.

Thoughts on this?
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a big fan of sorc on a dragon after testing it out myself. But also you have to keep in mind that if you do this you need to completely get rid of one hero. Lord+dragon+sorc+sorc would take up all your slots. If you want to lord on dragon with 1 sorc and 1 jugg exalted you probly could, but I dont think you really need to increase the knight size past 5(stick with the bsb+warbanner on knights idea though).

+ Reply to Thread