[2250] First Attempt - Semi-Competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[2250] First Attempt - Semi-Competitive

Well, I am really new to WHFB and want to make a list durable enough to handle a competitive environment, even though it won't be seeing much tourney play.

Here is what I have so far:

Sorcerer Lord
    Level 4, Mark of Tzeentch
    Enchanted Shield, Book of Secrets, Power Familiar, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Conjoined Homunculus, Disc of Tzeentch
    [420]

Chaos Sorcerer
    Level 2, Mark of Nurgle
    Steed, 2x Dispel Scrolls
    [206]

Chaos Sorcerer
    Level 2, Mark of Nurgle
    Steed, Infernal Puppet
    [191]

Exalted Hero
    Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Chaos Runesword
    [230]

(5) Marauder Horsemen
    Mark of Slaanesh, Flails, Light Armor, Musician
    [96]

(5) Marauder Horsemen
    [96]

(5) Marauder Horsemen
    [96]

(5) Marauder Horsemen
    [96]

(5) Chaos Warhounds
    [30]

(5) Chaos Warhounds
    [30]

(5) Chaos Warhounds
    [30]

(5) Chaos Warhounds
    [30]

(5) Chaos Knights
    w/ Mark of Khorne
    [230]

(5) Chaos Knights
    w/ Mark of Khorne
    [230]

(5) Chaos Knights
    w/ Mark of Khorne
    [230]

[2241]

Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited by OldHat; October 11th, 2009 at 04:54.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x1)

First question, does your lord have a mount? If not... is he by himself? What's your plan to keep this guy alive?

You don't have that many wounds for 2250. Under 60. It's a fast army though. I'd tweak one of your marauder units atleast to have throwing weapons and use them for march blocking, warmachine pestering and just to be annoying.

I'm assuming you will use the hounds to protect the knights? I'm just afraid that's a lot of MoK on those knights. One unit of hounds flee and you won't have anything to screen some knights. I'd recommend relooking at those marks a bit (if you want to go all khorne, then by all means do it, it just may not be the most competitive).

Lastly, you'll have to rely on your characters quite a bit to take down big things (read high toughness). Aside from your characters, your highest percievable strength is 5. Some big rare choices and lords will be tough to kill.

Overall I like the speed, and if nothing else this will be a really fun list.

cheers,
    Black Templar (W/D/L): 4/6/2
    Dark Eldar (W/D/L): 4/1/0
    Warriors of Chaos (W/D/L): 3/0/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, the Lord has a Disc. Somehow, it just didn't get typed in.

I have had a few people suggest that I shoot for some Dragon Ogres as a way to deal with tough stuff.

What other Mark would be good to use on Knights? Considering their role, I figured Khorne would give them the most benefits. Any other suggestions?

Alternative:
    Drop the Exalted Hero for a trio of Dragon Ogres w/ Great Weapons. Thoughts?
    Last edited by OldHat; October 11th, 2009 at 05:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x1)

Ok, the disc makes sense.

Never really tried Dragon Ogres, so no comment on that one. I have played against them though, and I find they are a bit too easy to kill (lack of regen sucks). But, they probably would be able to take out atleast 1 threat before they die.

For knights, I prefer Nurgle. Makes them really hard to kill except for by magic, cannons and troll vomit (shudder). Tzeentch with the blasted standard(? I think that's it name) is a good set up. 4+ inv is nice.

Lastly, I'd be worried with your sorc on steeds. If they go in a unit that gets into combat, they'll have to challenge. If they don't, they will be an easy target. You could always shield them, but a lot of chaos magic needs LoS.

Good luck with the list.

cheers,
    Black Templar (W/D/L): 4/6/2
    Dark Eldar (W/D/L): 4/1/0
    Warriors of Chaos (W/D/L): 3/0/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest switching power familiar with spell familiar on your lord for a better chance at getting the spells you want(pandaemonium/gateway). I would take off book of secrets from your lord and switch it with 1 dispell scroll. Remove the x2 scrolls from your sorc hero and switch them with book/power fam to give your hero more versatility. Your lord isnt really going to have to the dice to be using on another spell from the book.

Runesword is not a good investment of points, mundane flail/shield is killy enough for a cheap amount of points.

MoK isnt terrible on knights and you have plenty of horsemen/warhounds to stop the enemy from baiting your knights into an unwanted charge. Don't feel the need to put any marks on the knights though if you dont want to use MoK as they really arent needed for your list.

Taking off the marks from your knights, swapping the runesword, and dropping 1 group of horsemen would give you enough or close to enough points for a group of 3 D. Ogres w/ GW or any other unit that you wanted really for 230ish points.

but I wouldnt worry about your sorcs too much as he says, they have basically the same stats as a knight just with a +2 armor instead of +1.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

you might also want to drop the homunculus from your sorc lord as well. Stupidity is always bad and on a character like that failing the test could lose you the game

+ Reply to Thread