Trying for a cavalry based force - failing :) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying for a cavalry based force - failing :)

Hey guys,

Major newb here - both to the game and to this army.

BUT - I love the knights and maurader horsemen, and since I'm getting close to finishing my 2k skaven list (painting) I'm starting to think about painting these up. Thing is though, even with a LOT of horses in this list, I have a ton of points left to spend (to get to 2k). This is only about 1310 ish.

I know my character choice(s) are lame and need some work. How else can I get to 2k from here? Obviously budget and painting time are issues so I'm hoping not to add a large horde of models to what already feels like a lot of them.

Sorcerer Lord 1

Chaos Steed 1

Mark of Nurgle 1

Level 4 Wizard 1

Chaos Warhounds 5
    Chaos Warhounds 5
    Chaos Warhounds 5
    Chaos Warhounds 5

Marauder Horsemen 5
    Musician 1
    Light Armor 5
    Flails 5
    Mark of Slaanesh 1

Marauder Horsemen 5
    Musician 1
    Light Armor 5
    Flails 5
    Mark of Slaanesh 1

Marauder Horsemen 5
    Musician 1
    Light Armor 5
    Flails 5
    Mark of Slaanesh 1

Marauder Horsemen 5
    Musician 1
    Light Armor 5
    Mark of Khorne 1

Chaos Knights 5
    Musician 1
    Mark of Nurgle 1

Chaos Knights 5
    Musician 1
    Mark of Nurgle 1

Chaos Knights 5
    Musician 1
    Mark of Khorne 1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Firstly, I suggest that you take at least another Sorcerer. That will help you round out your magic phase. A single level4 is nearly pointless in any army, not just warriors. Warriors are an offensive army in the magic phase, and they need it to back up their lack of shooting. You're also forgetting equipment.

Otherwise, I think that adding some kind of anvil to your force might help you. Many people suggest adding in Dragon Ogres. I think that would work, but I've been experimenting with a regiment of 8 Knights of Nurgle and an included Khorne Juggernaut BSB. It's a SUPER expensive regiment of course, but mixing a BSB with a rank and a Warbanner, and the crushing potency of a Juggernaut Exalted, you have a regiment that is as devastating offensively as it is in defense.

Finally, you can never go wrong with more hounds, and remember that Khornate Marauder Horsemen are almost as terrifying as Chaos Knights. In fact, I would rather see frenzied MHs and Nurgle/Slaanesh knights. Marauder Horsemen are cheaper, even with this kind of equipment, and this makes it less devastating if they are baited and destroyed. Furthermore, the Fast-Cavalry rule of the Marauders means that if you need to, you can take your free-reform to turn yourself away from a bait unit.

If you add in all of this, you'll have no trouble making 2000pts, and you'll find that you have fewer models to buy- good for a budget.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

If you're into the hobby part of the game, I'd suggest putting your lord on a dragon and making a war-shrine. Both should be fun to paint.

Beyond that, sarathai made some good suggestions.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool info guys!

Question: should Khorne Marauder Horsemen still take flails/ Should ALL M-Horsemen take flails? I was hoping to get some variety in the modeling

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Its nice to have them with flails, but for same points you can give shield/spear instead. Less kill ability, more survivability. Or keep them slaanesh and give them throwing axes.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Sorry- I've been away from the forum for a bit.

For your question on flail-armed marauders: I say that yes, they should ALL carry flails. Giving them a shield+light armor means that you lose your fast cavalry rule, and that can hurt. It's MORE important that your khornate horsemen have the Fast Cav rule, but it's not bad to maintain it amongst other regiments.

Spears are a good weapon as well, as it's just +1S on the charge and a bit cheaper. Although flails are superior, if you wanted some variety, I guess that Spear/Shield armed regiments would be alright. I usually play straight for the wins, so I don't really care what kinds of variety my list has.

Warshrines are fun, and dragons can be really fun. Just remember that a dragon is going to take a huge amount of your points away from you, and wrap them all up into one Large Target. The Warshrine is great, since you can slam an EoTG onto a regiment of knights at the start of the game, but it has trouble maintaining pace with the rest of your army, so either is slows you down, or you're paying points for a unit that won't be helping you in the long term.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

279 (x7)

My knights rarely march 14"s to start. More like 10-12. But even if I do move full throttle, I think the warshrine is my reserve force. It takes 1-2 turns longer to get accross the board, but it buffs the unit that needs it most and then I can throw it into a combat that needs it. It might only move 4, or march 8, but it moves like a monster, so it has incredible maneuverability compared to your knights. Or if they have fast cav or scouts that get behind you, this can keep them somewhat honest and possibly stay in long range of your knights and not march block them.

Then there are the times that you get the buff that changes the game. +1 toughness, +1 attack, 4+ ward on a knight unit. And that point that unit is now considered broken and usually just demolishes things. I got knights to get +1 attack and then made then frenzied with my slaanesh masterblaster. GGNORE!

Fast cav is a must with the khorne horse so you can try and avoid baiting. But Slaanesh horse with a 4+ save have their moments. I've played them in 4-5 games, with a standard and musician. I never felt like they were a liability and the extra armor save helped a few times. Definitely not broken on the charge like khorne with flails, but adequate.

+ Reply to Thread