500pt Full plate army, need help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500pt Full plate army, need help

Hey everyone, i'm pretty new to Warhammer Fantasy, and i've always had my eye on Chaos (mainly because they look totally badass)

So i just bought myself 12 Chaos Warriors, the rulebook and the Warriors of Chaos codex

I was thinking of starting quite small with a 500pt task force.

I'm going Khorne because i like the idea of frenzy and going heavy on close combat
    which is why i think going full plate would be a good idea.

But soon after deciding this, i realised warriors of chaos are damn expensive
    (1 squad with 6 shield, 6 two handed, Mark of Khorne and 1 standard is 234pts!)

and therefore i need help, i don't mind marauders, just that i don't quite know how to use them , i'd rather have 2 squads of chaos warriors, but that'll be hard to fit in

open to any suggestions

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the Chaos side of Librarium!

I wanted to clear up some basics on equipping a unit here in fantasy. You mentioned having a squad that has 6 warriors with shields, and 6 with two handed weapons. Unlike in 40k, here in Fantasy when you buy an equipment enhancement for a unit all of them need to pay the points such that every model in the unit is equipped with the same weaponry and armor.

Whenever you become engaged in combat you declare what equipment you'll be using, and your stuck with that unit combat ends (thus no switching in between rounds of combat).

So 12 warriors with two-handed weapons, shields, MoK and standard would actually cost you 246 points.

If you want two units of warriors you could try running the following list:

Basic Chaos Sorcerer - no updgrades xxx (put him in the unit with the musician)

10 warriors, shields, MoK and standard 202
    10 warriors, shields, MoK, standard, and musician 208
    Last edited by HoroHoro; December 6th, 2009 at 17:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there!

Well in my oppinion two units of khorne warriors are overkill on such a high level that it should be impossible to reach! But hell, do what you want, though personally i would never go to war in the name of khorne, without having at least one unit of hounds! Warhounds are the chaos gods gift to khorne generals, as they are exellent cannonfodder, and they can be used to make sure your frenzied warriors don't go charging of after fast cavalry.

But hey it's your choice! And as HoroHoro said, remember you buy one upgrade for the entire unit, and not just for one man. Good luck decapitating heads, and welcome to the world of khorny chaos fantasy!

Manorr
    "Scream your lungs out!"
    Manorr Stormbreaker, the Silent - Lord of Khorne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the help guys

it was kidna misleading in the book, it said '1pt per model' but i see what you mean

i am planning on going:

1. 12 warriors with two-handed weapons, shields, MoK and standard - 246 points
    2. 5 marauder horsemen, MoK, shields and standard - 120 points
    3. 1 exalted hero, MoK, shield and a barded steed - 146 points
    Total: 512 Points (is that too much over?)

i found that i needed calvary to catch other calvary, was tempting to give the marauders light armor too, but then they wouldn't be fast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If thats what your planning to go with then a good place to shave off points would be on the M. Horsemen. Most players here run them without standard to avoid giving their enemies the extra 100 VP if they go down.

I'd also give your M. Horsmen flails so they hurt even more when they crash into something.

1. 12 warriors with two-handed weapons, shields, MoK and standard - 246 points
    2. 5 marauder horsemen, MoK, flails - 105 points
    3. 1 exalted hero, MoK, shield and a barded steed - 146 points
    Total: 497 Points

Note that your Exalted hero may be a little exposed. You probably don't want him with the M. Horsemen since they are fast cavalry and if he joins they won't be. So he'll have to go with the warriors, but then he runs the risk of running off on his lonesome (if he is in range of a charge, and the warriors aren't then he'll have to go alone).

So I'd further change it up a little more:

1. 11 warriors with two-handed weapons, shields, MoK, standard and musician - 235 points
    2. 5 marauder horsemen, MoK, flails - 105 points
    3. 5 warhounds xxx
    3. 1 exalted hero, MoK, shield - 130 points
    Total: 500 Points

Warhounds are a great addition to a Khorne force, since you can put them infront of the unit to cause them not to charge out all willy nilly and they also absorb arrow fire that would be aimed at the warriors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's looking pretty good infact, but i just got a few questions:

what do musicians do? i've been reading around and they seem to be used quite a bit, so 'd just like to know what they do exactly?

do characters attach to squads the same way as 40k does?

also, would it be of any use having a champion, marauder chieftan?

and lastly (sorry for all the q's), in terms of tactics, should i just rush in with my marauders and hounds, distracting the enemy and buying time for my warriors to close in and charge?

i look forward to a reply

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can read all about musicians and other command upgrades in the rulebook on page 81.

I've never actually played 40k, so I can't comment on how characters function in relation to fantasy. Here they simply are a member of the unit. You you'd place him in the front rank of your warriors and off he goes.

So something like this:

WWSEMW
    WWWWW

Where S = standard, E = exalted, M = musician.

As for unit champions, I don't usually but them for my units. As I think that their point cost often isn't worth the extra attack. Also unit champions are subject to the Eye of the Gods and always have to issue challenges, which can be a hassle sometimes.

So the tactics I would use for the list would be something along the following lines:

Keep marching you warriors up, until they can get into CC. That is where they shine, and that is where you would like them to be. The exalted hero is quite strong, and often will not have trouble fighting in challenges with oposing heros at this point level. I usually only give my warriors shields, since I'm cheap when it comes to upgrades, so I figure you'll use two-handed weapons against units that look like they will be easy kills and shields if your fighting anything that looks tough.

I would place the hounds just a little ahead of your warriors, or marauder horsemen in order to block shooting attacks from hitting the unit you think is in bigger danger.

The Marauder Horsemen are fast cavalry, which means they can do free reforms as they move. So I would get them to jump from terrain to terrain piece so long as they can stay out of the way of shooting attacks (or hide them behind warhounds). You can also make them face backwards if you don't want them charging something that is right infront of them. They are very strong if they get a charge off dishing out 10 S5 attacks due to flails, and 10 str 3 attacks from the horses. (Note that MoK also causes the horsies to gain an additional attack). Just try not to keep them out in the open, as I mentioned they are fragile and fall apart to shooting.

Good luck in your games, hope my response helps you out.
    Last edited by HoroHoro; December 7th, 2009 at 02:38.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horo horo, if i ever saw you mate, i'd buy you a beer

yeah it helps heaps, musicians are like standard bearers, except lighter

I am starting to see the use of calvary, swift and deadly attacks up close, but fragile
    but what about my warriors and hounds? when i'm moving in for CC, should i jsut have them braveheating it down the field making a b line for the nearest enemy while my hounds take all the shots?

On the warriors profile, they have a BS(3), does that mean they can shoot? i think they throw axes, but i'm not too sure...

Also, my box only came with 3 flails for my horsemen... so i only get 3 flail attacks right?

a noob in need is a noob indeed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea M. Horsemen are just like that. Knights on the other hand, pack a punch and are hard as nails to take down.

Yea I'd most certainly have the warriors marching every turn until they are in close combat range. They can move up to 8" every turn so long as no enemies are nearby, and your opponents will usually also be trying to close the gap so it shouldn't take them too long to get into combat.

The hounds as mentioned can be used to screen the warriors or horsemen. But they can also play some other roles as well.

For example, as re-directors. If your in the situation that it looks like your warriors are going to be charged by something nasty you throw the hounds in front of enemy unit first in such a way that when they charge the hounds and kill them they overrun away from your warriors.

Or bait, you move your hounds out away from you warriors and let your opponents charge them. Then you make the warhounds flee, leave the enemy within charge range of your warriors for your upcoming turn.

As for the BS(3) on the warriors, its just their to represent the fact that they are as good as any human in firing projectiles. But it doesn't mean they use any. However, M.Horsemen can use throwing spears or throwing axes. Overall, warriors of chaos are more about close combat and lack shooting like most other armies.

Not sure why your box only came with 3, pretty sure mine had 5. But it doesn't matter, give three of em flails and the other two regular hand weapons. Since you pay for the flail unit upgrade for all the guys, when they fight incombat they get to chose between using regular hand weapons or flails regardless of what they actually have on their model. So all 5 will still get to make attacks as though they have flails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HoroHoro View Post
    Note that your Exalted hero may be a little exposed. You probably don't want him with the M. Horsemen since they are fast cavalry and if he joins they won't be.
    This is actually false. Any mounted character that joins a unit of fast cav "moves as the unit". Therefore the only bonus the exalted wouldn't get is the 360 shooting LoS, which he doesn't need anyways. He can in fact move like fast cav

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast