Everything I've got, 2000 Nurgle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything I've got, 2000 Nurgle

Hello Everyone!

I'd like to preface this list by saying, this is a culmination of every model I have at my disposal, so unfortunately, I cannot field anything else unless I get some extra cash and buy more little plastic army men... which is unlikely at this point. Christmas and Birthday were good to me, and this is what I have to show for it.

I'm also new to the game, and this is my first real attempt at an army list. I've been bouncing around here a bit on Librarium Online and a few other sites looking for ideas on what to field, and this is what I came up with. So, with no further adeu, my 2000 point all-Nurgle list!

*sound trumpets*

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

General (206)
    L2 Sorcerer
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Chaos Steed
    • Power Stone
    • Book of Secrets
    • Favor of the Gods

Battle Standard Bearer (205)
    Exalted Champion
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Filth Mace
    • Enchanted Shield
    • Army's Battle Standard

Scroll Caddy (160)
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Dispel Scroll (x2)
    • Favor of the Gods

---------------------------------------------------------
    CORE TROOPS

Chaos Warriors x15 (325)
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Full Command
    • Shields
    • Festering Shroud

Chaos Warriors x15 (325)
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Full Command
    • Shields
    • Festering Shroud

Marauder Horsemen x5 (150)
    • Flails / Throwing Axes / Light Armor
    • Full Command
    • Mark of Nurgle

Marauders x20 (162)
    • Flails / Light Armor
    • Musician / Standard Bearer
    • Mark of Nurgle

Warhounds x5 (35)
    • Scaly Skin (6+)

Warhounds x5 (35)
    • Scaly Skin (6+)

SPECIAL TROOPS

Chaos Knights x5 (340)

• Lances
    • Full Command
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Banner of Rage

RARE TROOPS

Chaos Spawn x1 (55)

TOTAL - 1998 pts

There you have it Librarium Online! So, without buying new models, what can I do to improve this?

Last edited by civic_necromancer; January 5th, 2010 at 20:46. Reason: Forgot to disable smilies... they were messing with my numbers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

My comments in red.

Quote Originally Posted by civic_necromancer View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I'd like to preface this list by saying, this is a culmination of every model I have at my disposal, so unfortunately, I cannot field anything else unless I get some extra cash and buy more little plastic army men... which is unlikely at this point. Christmas and Birthday were good to me, and this is what I have to show for it.

I'm also new to the game, and this is my first real attempt at an army list. I've been bouncing around here a bit on Librarium Online and a few other sites looking for ideas on what to field, and this is what I came up with. So, with no further adeu, my 2000 point all-Nurgle list!

*sound trumpets*

General (206)
    L2 Sorcerer
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Chaos Steed
    • Power Stone
    • Book of Secrets
    • Favor of the Gods
    The amount of magic you have won't be affective, with WoC you need to either do heavy magic, or just defensive magic (2 Caddys usually works) Just something to think about.

Battle Standard Bearer (205)
    Exalted Champion
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Filth Mace
    • Enchanted Shield
    • Army's Battle Standard
    Not bad, but i don't see the point in the filth mace, maybe give him a magic banner instead (Banner of the Gods is beautiful)

Scroll Caddy (160)
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Dispel Scroll (x2)
    • Favor of the Gods
    You can't take magic items more than once, other than dispel scrolls and powerstones, so he can't have favour if your sorc does (but i don't think either need it, they won't be killing a ton of characters in challenges, or large targets)

CORE TROOPS

Chaos Warriors x15 (325)
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Full Command
    • Shields
    • Festering Shroud

Chaos Warriors x15 (325)
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Full Command
    • Shields
    • Festering Shroud

Look good, except, again, you can't take a magic item more than once, so one of them has to ditch the Shroud. To be honest i don't think it's worth it anyways, you'll only be in contact with three models max with your base size, so you MIGHT wound 1 model. Not worth the points imo.

Marauder Horsemen x5 (150)
    • Flails / Throwing Axes / Light Armor
    • Full Command
    • Mark of Nurgle
    Unless you want everything to be marked nurgle in your army, i'd drop that mark, its not worth it, also drop the standard and the champ, the standard is just easy Victory points for the enemy, and the champion is a waste of points entirely.

Marauders x20 (162)
    • Flails / Light Armor
    • Musician / Standard Bearer
    • Mark of Nurgle
    These look good

Warhounds x5 (35)
    • Scaly Skin (6+)

Warhounds x5 (35)
    • Scaly Skin (6+)

Drop the skin, its 10 points of uselessness, these guys are meant to die, that 10 points isn't going to change much

SPECIAL TROOPS

Chaos Knights x5 (340)

• Lances
    • Full Command
    • Mark of Nurgle
    • Banner of Rage

I'm not sure about the lances, but it could work. But be VERY careful with these guys, as they are frenzied so they will often get baited a ton. Also, drop the Champion, he'll be forced to challenge, which is a lot of killing power diverted (6 attacks with his horse) away from what you may want to kill.
    RARE TROOPS

Chaos Spawn x1 (55)

These guys are fun as hell, have fun with him, he can be a great tarpit too sometimes.

TOTAL - 1998 pts

There you have it Librarium Online! So, without buying new models, what can I do to improve this?
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent input, thank you!

With regards to the Filth Mace BSB -
    I plan on running him with the Marauders. All they need to do is kill someone, and I've turned a unit of cheap infantry into a terror-causing monstrosity. Essentially, he's a character-hunter with a squad of meat-shields. Also, given their low defensablitiy, he'll be there to shore up their morale and keep them in there so I'm not throwing their points away.

Regarding the Scaley Skin on the Warhounds -
    I figured, for 10 extra points, I give the warhounds the chance to stick around a little longer... I know they're meant to die, but if they're still there to be meatshields on turn 2, then they can do their job all over again. I'll look at the points and hash it out... if I've got noplace better to put 10 points, they keep it, but I'll consider these points expendable under your advisement.

Regarding the amount of magic in my list -
    If I drop everything you suggest droping (Festering Shrouds, Favor of Gods, various champions, etc) I may be able to fit a L3/4 Sorc Lord in instead of a L2... Would that be advisable, or would you suggest upgrading my scroll-caddy up to L2? I'm iffy on whether it's better to have Gandalf and his Apprentice, or two Mid-level sorcerers, or if there's little difference. I'll see which is more point effective.

Regarding the Mark of Nurgle on the Marauder Horsemen -
    Yes, I intended for everything to be marked by Nurgle in this list. Plus, I figure one of their biggest detriments is shooting, given low armor and low body-count, so the -1BS from the mark should help save a few lives. Also, can they have shields as well as flails, to help their Armor Save vs Shooting but not Close Combat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trimmed things down a bit...

Okay, I trimmed things down a bit... Let's see how this works:

Leadership:
    • L4 Sorcerer, Barded Steed, Mark of Nurgle, Book of Secrets, Power Stone, Favor of the Gods (will ride with my knights, or maybe my horsemen)
    • Exalted Hero, Mark of Nurgle, Filth Mace, Enchanted Shield, Battle Standard (will be with my marauders)
    • L1 Sorcerer, 2x Dispel Scrolls (probably in a group of warriors, or just alone in back so he won't have to issue challenges)

Core:
    • 15 Warriors, Sword & Board, FC, Mark of Nurgle
    • 15 Warriors, Sword & Board, FC, Mark of Nurgle
    • 5 Marauder Horsemen, Musician, Light Armor/Flail/Throwing Axes
    • 20 Marauders, Flails/Light Armor, Mark of Nurgle, Musician/Standard Bearer
    • 5 Warhounds
    • 5 Warhounds

Special:
    • 5 Knights, Lances, Musician / Standard Bearer, Mark of Nurgle, Banner of Rage

Rare:
    • 1 Chaos Spawn
    Last edited by civic_necromancer; January 7th, 2010 at 23:23. Reason: fixed a few errors - MoN on BSB, took shields away from Mar. Horsemen

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I'd make the lvl 1 sorcerer a lvl 2 wizard so that he'd have two power dice of his own. That way the lvl 4 can have 4 dice for Rot if he gets it (or another powerful spell) and 2 dice for buboes.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any suggestion on where to shave 35 points to do this with?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

What about a flail instead of the filth mace on the bsb? That'd help a little. Yeah, it's always the same problem, finding points. I have the same issue in my current list to get a lvl 2 tzeentch guy. I'm so pressed for points already.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grrrrrrrr.... I'm REALLY ANXIOUS to use that Filth Mace... The idea of Terror-causing Marauders is just too juicy to pass up. That guy is designed to use the Eye of the Gods rule to it's fullest - Make challenges, and WIN them with extreme predjudice. I'll try it my way, and if not, I'll scrap the mace for the L2 upgrade.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

The issue with the filth mace I see in that list is that the guy's on foot. By the time he foot slogs it across the board and actually gets into combat there may not be any turns left for the terror to be any use.

Not to mention that he has to challenge/accept a challenge, so if he ends up fighting something meaty he's only on S5 and is less likely to actually kill something (and its him that has to kill something, not the unit he's with). Its really not that great an item, it might have some use on a MoT exalted on a disk, but even then I'd rather use a flail.

Also, I've just noticed that in your most recent list you've given the marauder horsemen both armour and shields. This means they're no longer fast cavalry and you're taking away one of their best abilites

Other than that I quite like the list and have ran similar quite a few times with a good success rate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaaah, I KNEW there was a reason I wasn't supposed to give them armor and shields! Thanks, being new to WHFB, I'm still dicey (get it? Dicey?) on a few of the rules like that. I'll make adjustments.

The math behind why I like the Filth Mace works something like this : Sure, he might only be S5, but he's going to be very hard to hit with WS7 and Nurgle's mark, and all of his attacks are Poisoned. On top of that, the enchanted shield + chaos armor gives him a 1+ save in close combat... and then, terror!

Like I said, I'm not going to a tournament with this list or anything... This is just my first attempt to play against some friends here and there, primarily one running a similar Cav&Infantry Dark Elves list. If, after a few games, I find the Filth Mace isn't earning it's points, I'll drop it for more Sorcerer power.

Thank you again, everyone, for input and analysis!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast