Newbie tourney 1k pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie tourney 1k pts

Hi all,
    I am new to warhammer, I am building my first armyat the moment. I our game club, there are 1000pt newbie tourneys with some restrictions (max 2 caster levels, max 333pts in cavalry with 2+ save or better, max 2 specials or 1 special + rare, others are not important for WoC lists). Here is my Slaanesh + Tzeentch roster, I l want my army a little fluffy, so I dont want to play Nurgle and Khorne. I welcome any suggestions to improve it.

General:

Tzzentch sorcerer lvl2 (Disc, Mark, Golden Eye, Spell Familiar, Bloodcurling Roar) at 210pts

Core:
    Slaaneshi Chaos Warriors x18 (FC, Mark, Shields, Rapturous Standart) at 348pts
    Slaaneshi Marauder Horsemen x5 (Musician, Mark, Armour, Throwing Axes, Spears) at 101pts
    Chaos Warhounds x5 at 30pts

Special:
    Tzeentch Chaos Knights x5 (FC, Mark, Blasted Standart) at 310pts

Total 999pts

26 pts left me in original version, so I added Champion in Knights and Spears for Horsmen, but I know they are not needed. Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by Metaxa; February 9th, 2010 at 13:29.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally would cut down the size of the unit of warriors, 350 points is a third of your points in 1 unit. I would also cut out the Rapturous Standard as for 20 points it is only useful in a very specific circumstance. If you give your Marauder Horsemen light armour they no longer are light cavalry, so they lose the ability to outmaneuver more cumbersome enemy units. I would give them MoS, shields and throwing axes, which is only 80 points. If you cut out a few points there, then there is enough room for you to put in a unit of Chaos Marauders, and if you give them MoS, you can throw them into a really hard enemy unit, and tarpit them while your knights smash in from the side or rear, giving you outflanking bonuses to combat res and ruining the enemy unit. I'd say your list is missing 1 more solid core choice, and marauders would be the best option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you give your Marauder Horsemen light armour they no longer are light cavalry, so they lose the ability to outmaneuver more cumbersome enemy units.
    It clearly states on page 123 next to the "*" under the Marauder Horsemen core choice that the combination of Light Armour and Shields will negate the "fast cavalry" ability. So in this situation, his marauder horsemen still have fast cavalry...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, it's only if you give them both that they lose the Fast Cav rule, and since he only gave them the light armor, they're still fast cav. I agree with cutting the warriors down, that's a lot of points in one unit. Drop them down to 15, and switch their banner to a War Banner, since I wouldn't count on them breaking anytime soon, the extra CR would help. Also, on the sorcerer, I'm not sure if you've looked at the Book of Secrets, it's 10 points more but its hella worth it. An extra power dice and spell from death or fire? It's a must have, since I bet you'll have him flying around blasting whatever he see's, the extra missile from the lores can really help out. The problem with your horsemen is that you've built them to harass and march block, and support charge, in which they should be either or. You have the knights to do the support charge, so why not drop the spears to clear up some points, and just have them run circles around your enemies and toss str 4 shots at them. The knights look good, since at 1000pts an empire/dwarf player will field a cannon or two and the ward save sure helps. The rest looks good, but I will have to agree with the Vegetarian eater, using some freed up points to take a unit of marauders with MoS will give you another anvil, which you might need in such a low model army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this question should be on another thread, but I don't get the concept of marauder horsemen march blocking people being harassment. I am pretty new to Warhammer so I am curious only for my knowledge, not to criticize.

If I move my horsemen behind the unit of warriors within but within 8" of them (lets assume we are playing another WoC army, and I am march blocking a warrior unit), then that unit can only move 4" and charge 8" correct? The point of march block is it slows the foot unit down. But if your within the 8" of the unit, aren't you march blocked as well? Then you would only be able to move 7" and they could easily reform to face you next turn.

Could you explain how you would use the horsemen to "harass" your opponent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, my bad I misread about the shields and light armour!

Rotation uses up movement, but light cavalry can reform and rotate for free, making them more maneuverable. You can just send them around units where they can't be charged and bum in a few axes to pick of a few, maybe break a rank. Throwing axes increase your strength by 1, so a S3 horsemen is throwing in and axe at S4 which is quite nice. If you break a rank of an enemy before the enemy reaches your main force they lose a point of combat res which is always a bonus. You don't want to be charging in with the horsemen as you have your knights for that, use their main attribute of movement to their advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. He got it on the dot, but like you said, can't they just turn around to face you and charge you? Yes, they can, but then on your turn you move 7 and go beside their flank, or if possible, to their rear, so that you are no longer in their arc of sight, toss a couple of more axes, and then they have to wait till their next turn to turn around to face you again, but not being able to get off the charge, due to the fact that they spend all their movement reforming trying to face you.

Edit: actually, horsemen move 8, since their horse's aren't barded, sorry.
    Last edited by ScionoftheStorms; April 30th, 2010 at 19:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by new_recruit View Post

Could you explain how you would use the horsemen to "harass" your opponent?
    Harassing 101: Dance around your enemy, picking off little targets with missile weapons (in this case throwing axes, which are a good choice), targets should include other fast cav, screens, skirmishers (if you have to, but the -1 is a bit of a bitch) war machine crews and lone characters. The next step is blocking enemy charges and redirecting (if you don't know how, ask and ye shall receive) charges to setup more advantageous ones for your army. If the fast cav should live to the end of the game, they run for table quarters.

These specific fast cav are also a good flanking unit for your knights or warriors, assuming the unit being charged doesn't have a lot of ranks to fight against the fast cav, otherwise they become easy combat res for the enemy.
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

+ Reply to Thread