2250 for arms race - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2250 for arms race

Hey guys, my local club is doing what we call an arms race. Every player picks a new army and builds that army over the year, engaging in tournament and league play. This year, we're doing this with fantasy.

We start at 1250, move up to 1850 and end up at 2250. With that in mind, I started writing a 2250 list. I had 2 goals: 1) I wanted to go all Slaanesh, as the dark prince has always been my favorite chaos god. 2) I wanted to do a small/mostly cavalry army, as I have done a few armies with big blocks of infantry and always hated the army by the time I was done.

After reading through a few threads and other army lists here, I think I'm ready to receive some advice from the successful chaos lords on this site.

(I made this list in Army Builder and copied it here, if anything looks odd.)

1 Sorcerer Lord of Slaanesh @ 755 pts (General; Mark of Slaanesh; Level 4 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor)
    1 Chaos Dragon (Causes Terror; Flyer; Large Target; Scaly Skin)
    1 Biting Blade
    1 Enchanted Shield
    1 Spell Familiar
    1 Golden Eye of Tzeentch
    1 Book of Secrets
    1 Diabolic Splendour

1 Chaos Sorcerer of Slaanesh @ 250 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor)
    Dispell Scroll
    1 Chaos Chariot (Chariot; Scythed Wheels)

1 Chaos Sorcerer of Slaanesh @ 250 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor)
    Dispell Scroll

6 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh @ 106 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Hand Weapon; Flail; Light Armour; Fast Cavalry)

6 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh @ 106 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Hand Weapon; Flail; Light Armour; Fast Cavalry)

6 Chaos Knights of Slaanesh @ 305 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Causes Fear)
    War Banner

6 Chaos Knights of Slaanesh @ 300 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Causes Fear)
    Rapturous Standard

6 Chaos Warhounds @ 36 pts

Also, anyone got any thoughts on how I can make my chariots? I hate the metal chaos ones. I was thinking of going with tomb king chariots with wood elf steeds (I have a few from another conversion project) and using 2 old school daemonettes as crew to represent the lvl2 sorcerers.

Last edited by crazyrpger; February 19th, 2010 at 05:45. Reason: forgot a few things
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I would suggest not taking marks on the two level 2 sorc's. Level 2 Slaanesh sorcs just aren't worth it. Also, if you plan on using them as offensive casters, i wouldn't keep them in the chariots; it's much to risky. The best thing to do would be put them on steeds and either a) have them bunker in knight units or b) let them run free. Also you need some items on them, at least take the infernal puppet and some scrolls. The puppet is a very handy tool for magic lists, as it keeps you safer, and threatens enemy magic.

For the Marauder horsemen, i'd try to get a musician in there, that makes them much more useful, as you can reliably bait and flee without fear of continuously running.

The knights look good, try and find points for Rapturous standard in one of the units.

Also for the chariot conversion idea, i did roughly the same thing, but used Chaos knight steeds and put knight shields all around the TK chariots, it actually looks awesome.
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By copying and pasting, I lost my magic standards on the knights and the scroll that each lvl2 carries.

The purpose of the marks is 1) my theme and 2) to get rid of the fear, terror and panic stuff. I know a lot of people will say that it isn't worth it, but I've lost too many things to fear, terror and panic to ignore a chance to get rid of that part of the game.

I want them in chariots for the us5 chariot that will be pretty useful for flanks/rear if i can get them there.

I am considering tweaking a bit to get the marauder horsemen a musician, but I did want to know how useful that would be. There are only 6 guys in the unit, and at 106, they're cheap enough that I don't know how much I care if they die. I honestly considered them more of a suicide unit, but I may have to reassess...

If it comes down to giving my sorcs some more stuff or giving the horsemen musicians, which is more worthwhile?

Thanks for the info on the chariots. I'll likely go that route. Those tomb king chariots are pretty boss as is, and much cheaper (money-wise) than any others in the game.
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry
    Last edited by crazyrpger; February 19th, 2010 at 05:58. Reason: double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Losing the Marauder horsemen may not be a big deal due to their points, but you may not want to lose them for a tactical reason, regardless of their low points cost, they are useful. The infernal puppet would be my first choice for this list; you don't want your dragon sorc blowing up due to a miscast. After that Dispel scrolls, then musicians for the MH.

p.s. Just be careful with the chariots, as not many things will fit in the space for the riders; they were made for skeletons after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this then?

1 Sorcerer Lord of Slaanesh @ 725 pts (General; Mark of Slaanesh; Level 4 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor)
    1 Chaos Dragon (Causes Terror; Flyer; Large Target; Scaly Skin)
    1 Enchanted Shield
    1 Spell Familiar
    1 Golden Eye of Tzeentch
    1 Diabolic Splendour

1 Chaos Sorcerer of Slaanesh @ 260 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor)
    1 Infernal Puppet

1 Dispel Scroll

6 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh @ 112 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Musician Mus; Hand Weapon; Flail; Light Armour; Fast Cavalry)

6 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh @ 112 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Musician Mus; Hand Weapon; Flail; Light Armour; Fast Cavalry)

6 Chaos Knights of Slaanesh @ 305 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Causes Fear)
    1 War Banner

6 Chaos Knights of Slaanesh @ 300 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Causes Fear)
    1 Rapturous Standard

Do you think that will fare better? Again, thanks for the heads up on the chariots. I'll be using 2 of the old, sleek metal daemonettes to represent the crew and the wizard. Hopefully, they'll fit pretty easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

For the dragon Sorc, i'd suggest the regen crown rather than the golden eye, since he's probably gonna get into combat at times, when you need him to break a flank or something. This way he's better protected.

+ Reply to Thread