<2000 2000 pts fast attack army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 pts fast attack army

I want to get into WOC and I am trying to come up with an army list so I can plan on what models to get. I have been kicking around the idea of a fast attack army, try to get to the opponent by turn 2 and maul them in close combat. A little magic and shooting (minimal) to cover the advancing troops and not get completely dominated in the other phases.

Daemon Prince 405
    Mark of Khorne, Mantle of Chaos, Fury of the Blood God

Chaos Sorcerer 146
    Steed, Rod of Torment

Chaos Sorcerer 151
    Steed, Dispel Scroll x2

5 Marauder Horsemen 86
    LA, Flails, musician

5 Marauder Horsemen 86
    LA, Flails, musician

5 Chaos Warhounds 30

5 Chaos Warhounds 30

5 Chaos Warhounds 30

5 Chaos Knights 270
    Musician, Std Bearer, Blasted Standard

6 Chaos Knights 295
    Musician, Std Bearer, War Banner

4 Dragon Ogres 260

Hellcannon 205

Total: 1994

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

The impression I've gotten is that Daemon Princes are not all that powerful in Combat. Having a frenzied Demon Prince means your enemies will control him through charge-baiting as much as you will, and redirect him someplace he'll be easily killed. Having a frenzied Demon Prince as your general probably means 500 VP awarded to your opponent without much trouble.

You are relying on your knights to decimate units, I'd be inclined to make at least one unit a little more 'killy'. Lances, or Frenzy, or both on one unit to ensure it can smash its way through hardened opposition. The dragon ogres want great weapons if you didn't already pay for them.

Hope that helps, Good luck!
    -Koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like you will get to combat at turn 2, but then die soon after. Got a 20 inch Frenzied Lord ><. The hellcannon isn't as valuable in your list as much as it is in a slower one so it's a waste of points here because of the speed your list is focusing on. You have 3 hammers and no anvil so you will need to cooperate charges with more finesse than normal. The magic your list offers is too week to go for bound items. It won't be reliable on nearly any list with decent magic. There are 2 ways you can go with this though.

Replace your lord with a Sorcerer Lord. Mark him Tzeentch if you want to fly and give him a disc and golden eye and whatever you else you deem fit. He will draw fire and pick off points and will be able to handle warmachine lines if the chance arises. Then upgrade the other 2 casters to level 2 and mark them nurgle to snipe enemy melee characters who will give you trouble for not having a hero+ level challenger. Maybe even go for another lvl 2 nurg, but you will be sinking in comp at that point. An exalted hero with a character killer build might be effective as well, using Axe of Khorne and mundane.

Additionally, if you go with the Sorc Lord build consider getting the Banner of Wrath, opposed to the War Banner, on your other Knight unit. Blasted standard is more effective with the MoT on the unit. If anything the Rapturous standard will be far more effective that the War Banner as you could use that as your initial charging unit that would have a better chance at prolonged combat, giving your other hammers options and flexibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Thoughts in red...

Daemon Prince 405
    Mark of Khorne, Mantle of Chaos, Fury of the Blood God
    Combat DP's are useless and way to over costed. Run DP's as casters, or basically don't run them at all, and definitely don't run them frenzied.
    Chaos Sorcerer 146
    Steed, Rod of Torment
    You don't have enough magic to make use of this, it will get dispelled everytime. Either run a magic heavy list, or a combat heavy list. Don't bother trying to mix the who with your heroes, cause it rarely works. Take two scrolls on this guy, or change the DP into a level 4 and up this guy to a level 2.

Chaos Sorcerer 151
    Steed, Dispel Scroll x2

5 Marauder Horsemen 86
    LA, Flails, musician

5 Marauder Horsemen 86
    LA, Flails, musician
    You need another core, Warhounds dont count towards you compulsary core.
    5 Chaos Warhounds 30

5 Chaos Warhounds 30

5 Chaos Warhounds 30
    15 dogs will clutter your lines and get in the way, take 10, max 12 (two units of 6)
    5 Chaos Knights 270
    Musician, Std Bearer, Blasted Standard

6 Chaos Knights 295
    Musician, Std Bearer, War Banner
    Good

4 Dragon Ogres 260
    also good

Hellcannon 205
    I've yet to hear of one of these doing anything worth 205 points, if i were you i'd drop it, up the other knight unit to 6, and make your dp a level 4.

Total: 1994

Quote Originally Posted by kooshlord View Post
    The impression I've gotten is that Daemon Princes are not all that powerful in Combat. Having a frenzied Demon Prince means your enemies will control him through charge-baiting as much as you will, and redirect him someplace he'll be easily killed. Having a frenzied Demon Prince as your general probably means 500 VP awarded to your opponent without much trouble.

This is all true, daemon princes are nothing special in combat, and frenzying him a just stupid. He'll get one extra attack, and you wont be able to control him, not worth it for 500 points. If you want to use a DP, make him a level 4 wizard, with tendrils and your mark of choice.

You are relying on your knights to decimate units, I'd be inclined to make at least one unit a little more 'killy'. Lances, or Frenzy, or both on one unit to ensure it can smash its way through hardened opposition. The dragon ogres want great weapons if you didn't already pay for them.
    Knights don't need lances or frenzy to decimate units, just make sure you pick the right units, and ensure that you have the advantage. I would up the other unit to 6, but dont take lances, ever.
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

+ Reply to Thread