<3000 2250 8th ed: All the Nastiest - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

2250 8th ed: All the Nastiest

This is my first real army list since buying the 8th edition book for myself. I'm not building it for fun, I'm not building it for Fluff, I'm building it with the intention of creating the nastiest army possible. Don't hate me- I know that LO isn't for posting "friendly lists", and I still have the tattered remnants of my Cavalry army if I want to ease up on somebody. This is more for future tournaments and cut-throat games than anything else.
    Daemon Prince w/ Mark of Tzeentch, Lvl4
    @ 475pts

Exalted Hero w/ GreatWeapon, Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Helm of Many Eyes, DawnStone, BSB
    @ 258 = 1+Rerollable armor save, 6S7 attacks at I6, 2S5 at I2, 1S5 ASL

Exalted Hero w/ Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Glaive of Putrefaction, Blasphemous Amulet
    @ 225 = wounded foe must make Tough-test at start of next magic phase, on T2

16 Chaos Warriors w/ Shields, Mark of Tzeentch, Full Command
    @ 306 = 4+/5+ saves in combat, BSB joins this regiment for 5x4 formation

16 Chaos Warriors w/ Shields, Mark of Tzeentch, Full Command, Warbanner
    @ 331 = Exalted joins this regiment for 5x4 formation

8 Chaos Ogres w/ Chaos Armor, Great Weapons, Full Command
    @ 450 = 25S6 attacks + 8S4 Stomp attacks

Hell Cannon
    @ xxx

2,250 / 2,250

Tactics are pretty simple- Ogres hold the center with the Cannon behind, warriors gaurd the flanks. Easy as that. If something looks like it's going to flank my warriors, I can send the characters at it, or hit it with the Daemon Prince. Each of these units should be rock hard, and in a front-to-front fight, I doubt that there's much that can stand up to them.

Last edited by CaptainSarathai; July 14th, 2010 at 05:28.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Few questions, do mounted characters get a weaker look out sir when in infantry units?

Exalted has 4 base attacks, frenzy makes 5, where is he getting the 6th?

Shields still give a +1 save, so the warriors should have a 3+/5+ in combat, right?

Why the warbanner and not something different like the movement banner or the rapturous banner? With what you have in those units, you'll kill a lot of stuff. +1 combat rez is nothing at that point.

5x2 with a juggy taking up 4 of the front 8 actually hurts you. Placing him in the unit makes you lose 8 WS5 STR4 attacks. He makes up for it, but when all is said and done, the killiness of of the exalted is diminished greatly why the 40% weakening of maybe the best combat infantry unit in the game. I'd aim more for a final formation of 6x3, that saves you like 60 some points to put elsewhere.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

As far as I can tell, mounted chars don't get look out sir rolls at all if in an infantry unit, as they're not of the same troop type. So no more mounting up sorcs. Note that this applies to templates, other shooting is still randomised, but you need 5+ models to do that, else you'll have to allocate at least one hit on the character (p. 99 of the BR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

I would field the warriors with a greater front like 7x3. That will dish out the hurt.
    I you're going for a seriously nasty army you should take 2 hellcannons and a warshrine. The warshrines buff is great and it's a good monster in itself.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

The two things I could see going wrong for the list are not having enough units, and not having enough speed.

For the first one, you opponent will have only half their army on baord by the time you've shown your hand, and will be able to plan from the get go how to deal with your units. As you only have three infantry blocks with no other supporting units, each of your units, albeit very, very deadly, will be fighting on its own.

For the second one, many opponents will only have to deal with your ogres, and only your ogres. They can zip around your infantry and distract the hellcannon, and they can avoid the warriors for the most part, having to throw an expendable unit away once or twice to slow them down.

Daemon Prince looks good though. Watch out for cannons.

So yeah, I'd make the ogre unit a little smaller, and use the points to get some harassing uints, and supporting units it should be better. You're right that few opponents can deal with your guys face to face, but how many opponents are going to just charge WoC in the face?
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

There is a good bit to think about here, so thank you everyone for replying.

Pinkus: you're right- that should be 5A on the Exalted. Initially I had meant for him to have 2xHW, and forgot to change that in the rules text. However, I'm not losing much from having him on the Juggernaut. He replaces 4 standard Warriors- 2A in the front, and 1A behind = 6S4A. Throwing in the JugEx is giving me 5S7, 2S5, 1S5 stomp = 8 attacks, all of better quality, and one of them auto-hit.
    This is something that I'll have to test out though, as tonight I ran both of these exalted in the list except on foot, and they still managed to dish out quite a bit of damage.
    Remember though that I have to challenge, and if he steps out of the regiment, allies behind him will step forward to attack, correct? Or have they gotten rid of that mechanic?

Mr.Wayne- I don't have the points at the moment to field a pair of cannons and a shrine. However I agree- those are nasty regiments. A 7x3 frontage is also a good idea, but I'm losing out on a rank and expanding my own frontage, which opens up opportunities for more enemy return attacks. I think that elite armies should strive to keep the army at 5 width, to put maximum force on a minimum area. When I ran into a regiment of skinks 10 wide, they were left with several models just swinging at air.

Daelrog-
    I sympathize most with your post. I also worry about the regiment count, and the only way that I can think to solve the problem is keep the ogres central to the army, with the cannons on the far flanks and put warriors between, all about an inch apart. This of course opens me up to a world of hurt from enemy artillery or Vortex magic. I've seen some of the newer horde armies though, and really, the number of units seems to have decreased quite a lot. Skaven for example, were running 3 "line units" with a Doomwheel in support, at 2500pts. These units were extremely large, and they had gunners etc. behind them, but if I can knock out three enemy combat regiments, I think that I should be able to complete most missions.
    I was actually considering dropping the Daemon Prince in favor of a second HellCannon and perhaps a few more models in the list somewhere.

I'll take a look at the list, and edit the initial post to include a new list.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Captain Sarathai:
    After 1 month with 8th, what do you think about your initial planning? Did that list work, or is better an army with more units and less nasty things?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

Wouldn't it be better to equip the first guy with a Halberd instead of a GW?
    1 Less str but you get reroll to hit, and if my math is correct, that should deal out more wounds than 1 higher str without rerolls.
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

+ Reply to Thread