<1000 1000 point troll army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 point troll army

So I've been toying around with the idea of the trollish army still, and have been trying desperately to eek out an even 1000 point army. I still have no spellcasters, so I can only hope that my opponents at this point level aren't going to take anything too nasty. The hounds are mostly there in an attempt to fill in points that are almost impossible to fill with anything else.

Throgg the Troll King and 5 Trolls - 400 points
    6 Trolls - 270 points
    10 Chaos hounds with scales and poisoned attacks - 100 points
    10 Chaos hounds with scales and poisoned attacks - 100 points
    Chaos warshrine - 130 points

The current battleplan is the normal, steady advance, using the hounds as a screen and initial charge, and attempting to buff my trolls in the intervening time with the shrine before sending them in for a secondary charge; the ol' one-two, as it were.

Is this a viable list? Or is there something so horribly lacking that I would want to risk playing many points under for the sake of having it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

The list looks fairly solid. I would strongly suggest you drop the poison and the scales from the Dogs however. They're are very rarely used or needed and expensive for what they give you. Ditching them gives you 80pts to play with.

You could probably make do with just 3 units of 5 hounds. Units of 5 are better for screens and the more units you have means you can see where your opponent sets up before you deploy your trolls and gives you more tactical options during the game. This gives you 30pts.

110pts to Play with now. A Level 1 with A Spell Familiar or something else? Maybe the 3rd Eye of Tzeentch to steal enemy spells. Maybe even another Warshrine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One wizard of fire, shadow or death has a pretty good chance of just outright destroying your trolls. Fire cage, pit of shades or the purple sun are absolute troll wreckers. I would consider dropping the warshrine because trolls get plenty of EotG rolls already. A fun idea might be a MoT BSB on a disc with Talisman of Preservation and a halberd. Just fly him straight at the most dangerous enemy wizard, charge his unit and challenge. It won't stop fire wizard from urinating on your cheerios, but it is fun for keeping those pesky wizards from DDing you down.

It is heartbreaking to see what a wizard can do to trolls. I have lost a full unit of 8 to a purple sun and had a well timed fire cage/flaming sword combo just destroy a unit of 6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with trying to cram in a spellcaster is that I was under the impression that only 25% of an army's total points could be spent on heros. Throgg himself takes 175 of the 250 allotted to me, which leaves a measly 75 points to buy other heroes with (in other words: not). I'm still not sure how all the percentages work, and that's part of the reason I boosted the hounds so much; I couldn't figure out how to fill in those last 200 points, since another warshrine would have taken me above 25% spent on rares, which I assume is not allowable.

EDIT/EDIT: I did some quick asking around to figure out how the percentages work, and I've got a new setup for the list:

Sorcerer Lord, Necrotic Phylactery - 245
    OR
    Chaos Lord, Mark of Slaanesh, Steed of Slaanesh, Necrotic Phylactery - 250

5 Trolls, Throgg - 400 points
    6 Trolls - 270 points
    6 hounds - 36 points
    6 hounds - 36 points

The big option comes down between the lord choices. With the sorc, I could try to counterspell normally and pray for the best. With the lord, I could rush forward and challenge enemy sorcs and at least tie them up... and pray for the best. My only issue is that this army weighs in at a mere 25 models, which seems awfully low for a fantasy army. Is a lord/sorc worth it?
    Last edited by Axle_Gear; August 3rd, 2010 at 21:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it would be in this list. I was just trying to come up with ideas to help mitigate the "single spellcaster can evaporate your army in a phase" issue. It is a strong list, but I just think it needs something speedy to be able to tie up opposing wizards. Maybe some marauder horsemen would fit the bill. I whole-heartedly agree with Lord Borak, though. 3 units of pups with no upgrades is a far better value.

edit: or drop the shrine, go 2 units of 5 naked pups and throw out another unit of 6 trolls. That way the opposing wizard gets target saturated and cannot effectively counter all your units before you are stuck in.

so:

5 Trolls, Throgg - 400 points
    6 Trolls - 270 points
    6 Trolls - 270 points
    5 hounds - 30 points
    5 hounds - 30 points

1K on the nose
    Last edited by Mrbill; August 3rd, 2010 at 22:35.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Damn and Blast! Sorry, sometimes I have senior moments and forget about the Percentages Rule.

As a rule, I would not place 50% of your list into Characters, Maybe 33% tops but not 50% expecially at 1000pts as it just screws your body count.

In that case I would still consider dropping those upgrades. With the 110pts you can get 2 trolls. Add these to the troll unit of 6 and break the unit down into two units of 4. 2x2 is actually quite effective and reduces the number of enemy attacks coming at you while you loose no attacks what so ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2x2 Sounds nice, but I'm pretty sure the rules state that monstrous infantry must be at least 3 across (from what little glancing I did at their rules). At that rate, I might as well put them in groups of 6.

But I do like the list suggestion of two groups of six trolls and one group of 5 to accompany Throgg. The hound squads are so small though that they're practically sacrificial, but I guess shooting attacks directed at them are less shooting attacks against my trolls. I still feel pretty vulnerable to some of the nastier magic attacks out there, though. Would I be able to get away with loading up on 18 trolls (Throgg included) in a 1000 point game and little else?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in 8th edition you need 25% core minimum
    25% lord max, 25% heroes max and 25% rare max
    50% max on specials so this list isnt usefull anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

throgg makes torlls core fool so he has technically if he does the 18 troll list 825 pts of core
    thats 82.5%

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, sorry, play it only for a month now so it's not about fool but about newb errors... fool

but still, is this a usefull army? it doesnt have that much body's
    like against dark and high elfes?
    don't they probably kill most just by shooting?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast