<2000 Rookie needs help if possible ;) (2k army) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rookie needs help if possible ;) (2k army)

Hello i've been playing warhammer fantasy for 8 years+ back in the old days, but due to kids/work and so on i sold my army 5 years ago (orcs and goblins). But now with the new rulebook (sweet), ive bought a new army of "warriors of chaos" as they seem very nice, but different from my last army these guys cost a fortune and almost no shooting...

So was hoping to get some idears from some of u guys to what i can change in my current bg 2k.

won first fight over DE btw so thats nice but was only a 1500 army.

so here it goes..

Lord:
    Deamon prince w. +2 wizard, mark of tzeentch, mantle of chaos, fury of the blood god. 490points
    (absolutly love the new models so have to have 1, tho other options might be better)

Core:
    10 chaos warriors w. full command, shields, mark of khorne. 210 points

15 marauders w. greatweapons, mark of khorne, full command. 125 points

5 marauder horsemen w. shields, full command. 90 points

8 chaos warhounds. 48 points

Special:
    16 chaos knights w. full command, mark of tzeentch, banner of rage. 745 points

Chaos chariot. 120 points

chaos chariot. 120 points

The overall stradigy is to put up my hounds, marauder horsemen as bait for shooting as the enemy will have to concentrate some on to them to avoid getting flanked. Then my main battle force (knights, chariots ) have a chance to come down pretty fast and land a punch b4 getting blasted by either magic, shooting or both. the marauders and warriors will support backup for the fast units in case they fail, while my deamon prince makes charges at max range (tho he prolly fail) just to get the terror effect, even tho he fail the charge(god the new terror rule is nasty ), or fly behind the enemy to get warmachines and stuff and ofc terror checks...

Hope to get some input on the idear, up front thx... Jokerhannes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Firstly, welcome to the site and welcome back to the warm happy place of 8th Edition. My comments to your list are in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerhannes View Post

Lord:
    Deamon prince w. +2 wizard, mark of tzeentch, mantle of chaos, fury of the blood god. 490points
    (absolutly love the new models so have to have 1, tho other options might be better)
    Daemon Princes aren't the best characters. They're a jack of all trades, Ok in combat, ok at MAgic but great at neither. They cost alot for this too. However the model is cool and they're not 'bad' so if you want one who am I to tell you otherwise. I would however go for Tendrils of Tzeentch over the Mantle. You'll get more use out of this fella as a caster.

Core:
    10 chaos warriors w. full command, shields, mark of khorne. 210 points
    Frenzied troops do not get the parry bonus so there's no point taking Shieds on Khorne troops unless you're taking them just for shooting protection. Swap them for Halberds or find the points to get halberds as well. Or grab the Mark of Tzeentch for a 5+Ward Parry save, They're insanely good.

I'd also go for a minimum of 12 Warriors in a unit. 10 is just a bit small and will suffer badly to attrition.

15 marauders w. greatweapons, mark of khorne, full command. 125 points
    I'd seriously consider making this unit bigger. For starters these boys have no save so archers and the like will reap this unit like nothing. Then striking last in combat will see most of them fall before they attack. Units of 25 or more Marauders are the way to go in this edition.

5 marauder horsemen w. shields, full command. 90 points
    Drop the Command and grab some equipment for them. Give them spears atleast.

Split these units into 3

Special:
    16 chaos knights w. full command, mark of tzeentch, banner of rage. 745 points
    Now this is one big Fire magnet. Every cannon, spell and shoe thrown in your direction will be directed towards these boys. I would ditch the Rage banner as 16 Knights do not need the extra attacks to win and get them the Blasted standard. This will give them a 4+Ward Vs Shooting. Which you will need. Also, ditch the champion, An extra attack isn't worth 20pts

Chaos chariot. 120 points

chaos chariot. 120 points

Right, you're also below the Minimum Percentage for Core Troops (Hounds do not count towards the minimum). Currently you have 425pts so you need to put in 75 more from somewhere.. I'd bulk out that Marauder unit. To get points i'd make the Knight unit smaller. You only really need 14 tops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Borak View Post
    Firstly, welcome to the site and welcome back to the warm happy place of 8th Edition. My comments to your list are in blue.

Right, you're also below the Minimum Percentage for Core Troops (Hounds do not count towards the minimum). Currently you have 425pts so you need to put in 75 more from somewhere.. I'd bulk out that Marauder unit. To get points i'd make the Knight unit smaller. You only really need 14 tops.
    Thx for the Welcome and the comments.

Deamon prince.
    Yeah might better be to take a lev 3 sorc lord and a hero than the deamon.

Chaos warriors
    The khorne mark, dunno why i did that with shields but yeah the tzeentch mark is the way to go for these guys, and perhaps try to get the unit to 12-20.

Marauders.
    the 15 marauders i will try to up them to 25.

Marauder horsemen.
    yeah will do that and perhaps make em 10 strung insted of the 5.

Warhounds.
    note taken on hounds, better alot small than 1 big.

Chaos knights.
    Yeah the fire magnet was my main consern aswell when i made this unit and dident think of the blasted standard, so nice1 on that, thx will try n get it in . the reason for a unit this size is that i made 1unit of 6 in my 1500 army and they got killed without even getting to the enemy but their death ment i culd secure the other flank and therefor win the game.

regarding the rule with the hounds ive must have missed that, hehe but se it now. will prolly swap them for some more marauders or horsemen as u say yourself. will try the 14 knights unit aswell just to get some more points free.

Thx alot for the nice advise and welcome, will repost my army later when i get it worked through.

Jokerhannes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

The knights do tend to be under the shooting radar when in smaller groups. I have found the perfect size is two groups of 6. They can still get in all attacks, since if you have a multiple attack unit the second rank will only get one attack, so there has to be a real reason to add a second rank - especially with such an expensive unit. Knights only need to arrive in one rank and if you hit on the flank because your opponent is already engaged with Marauders or Warriors, its all over.

The more targets you give your opponent, the more likely some units will arrive unharmed to deal out the hurt. I present a huge Marauder block (36-40) and the puppies (running up the flanks to take out war machines, shooting, etc.) and my opponent will usually concentrate on those and leaving the knights and warriors to get into combat without much damage. Given targets of a huge marauder block and a small knight/warrior unit, they will usually go for the big target.

I try to always balance each unit to be around the same point cost - multiple blocks of 6 knights, 12-15 Warriors, 30-40 Marauders, etc. This will really make your opponent think about what to target and more likely to make a mistake. 8th really needs big units for steadfast, etc. and the Marauders are made for that. All of our other units are too expensive to rank up, but they are so good in combat they don't need it. Use the dogs to screen and run to their soft warmachines and archers and they will be forced to shoot them, which is exactly what you want. By then, you should be in combat and those enemy units are twiddling their thumbs with nothing to shoot at.

Welcome to WoC!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDSW View Post
    The knights do tend to be under the shooting radar when in smaller groups. I have found the perfect size is two groups of 6. They can still get in all attacks, since if you have a multiple attack unit the second rank will only get one attack, so there has to be a real reason to add a second rank - especially with such an expensive unit. Knights only need to arrive in one rank and if you hit on the flank because your opponent is already engaged with Marauders or Warriors, its all over.

The more targets you give your opponent, the more likely some units will arrive unharmed to deal out the hurt. I present a huge Marauder block (36-40) and the puppies (running up the flanks to take out war machines, shooting, etc.) and my opponent will usually concentrate on those and leaving the knights and warriors to get into combat without much damage. Given targets of a huge marauder block and a small knight/warrior unit, they will usually go for the big target.

I try to always balance each unit to be around the same point cost - multiple blocks of 6 knights, 12-15 Warriors, 30-40 Marauders, etc. This will really make your opponent think about what to target and more likely to make a mistake. 8th really needs big units for steadfast, etc. and the Marauders are made for that. All of our other units are too expensive to rank up, but they are so good in combat they don't need it. Use the dogs to screen and run to their soft warmachines and archers and they will be forced to shoot them, which is exactly what you want. By then, you should be in combat and those enemy units are twiddling their thumbs with nothing to shoot at.

Welcome to WoC!!!
    Nice tips like the small block idear alot, and the idear of the same pricecost give or take...

Thx for the helpfull tip, btw any of u guys have any thoughts on Hellcannons, they seem like a NASTY cannon was thinking about maybe running 2.

idear to army.

Lord:

Sorcerer Lord level 4.
    Mark of Tzeentch, Spell familar, Talisman of perservation, The terrifyring mask of Eee, Diabolic splendor, Disc of tzeentch. 430

Hero:

Exalted hero.
    Halberd, mark of tzeentch, Armour of destiny, Disc of tzeentch, btb, wailing banner. 269

Core:

6 Warhounds. 36

6 Warhounds. 36

6 Warhounds. 36

10 chaos warriors w. shields, full command, mark of tzeentch. 200

10 chaos warriors w. shields, full command, mark of tzeentch. 200

20 marauders w. flail, light armour, full command. 140

Special:

Chaos chariot. 120

Chaos chariot. 120

Rare:

Hell cannon. 205

Hellcannon. 205

this rely on my hero(bsb), sorc to take out the back rows(terror, magic, flying), and my warriors to keep fast cav and stuff away from the cannons.

Dunno if it will work tho... just a thought, but wuld like to se my hellcannons in action.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

Hellcannons can be awesome or really let you down when needed most. I suggest rying one in a few games and see how well you think it performs for you. The 8th edition really boosted template weapons!!

+ Reply to Thread